1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What happened to you after you stopped drinking?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 16, 2020.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

concerning hangover, quality dry white wine has a good reputation...
    but there are so many parameters that influence your hangover...so you can't praise the white wine alone for it..

Squittolo likes this.
  2. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was a pretty heavy binge drinker 2-4 nights a week off and on for 15 years, til I quit in 2015. First thing I noticed was the lack of hangovers, then my marriage started looking salvageable, the night swears stopped and getting up in the morning was less of a chore. I also had to start dealing with the crushing depression and family issues in healthy ways. Five years in I have a much more calm, centered attitude, and it’s done wonders for my career. It’s also really helped with my music, as I’ve made more progress than ever, and I’m no longer the guy who gets ****faced and forgets all the songs halfway into the set.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Some people have a problem with drink, some don't. Those that do, but have given up. tend to think that everybody does. My brother in law did have a problem, but he's stopped now.

He died on Christmas day, total organ failure, he literally drank himself to death. After his funeral yesterday, the family all went to the pub and had a few beers.

Squittolo and dan1952 like this.
  4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Squittolo likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And there you have it, not being compelled to drink, does have it's up sides.

Squittolo likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I would never look down on, only up to such people. To have a problem, admit to it and take drastic action to solve it is a massive journey. Really, I have only admiration for anyone in that situation.

We’re often told that the biggest step is acknowledging you have a problem. I think that the second step is maybe working out why you have the problem. Remove the cause to remove the need?

Good in you my friend, you’ve made life that much better for you and those around you.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

So much of alcoholism is self-medicating because the person , for whatever reason, has not been diagnosed and/or treated for the underlying problem.

So they drug themselves with booze instead.

Then there’s the group who are just not good copers.

The normal suck-y parts of life that we all face and try to deal with on a daily basis - they just can’t , so they tamp down the fear with booze.

Meeting new people

Going on stage

Empty hours at home

The enormous and overwhelming task of mowing the lawn/yard work

Holidays with family

(my family is such a nest of vipers , I learned long ago that even though there’s tons of liquor on hand at Christmas and Thanksgiving, better to keep a clear head lest you be attacked/blind sided by a stray sister you didn’t see coming...:eek:)

Squittolo likes this.
  8. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

acknowledging the problem comes pretty soon...the second step takes often years or decades..

Squittolo likes this.
  9. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

It was like a reverse country song, got my job back, got my wife back, got my truck back, got my dog back.......

Squittolo, LeftFinger, Bergy and 2 others like this.
  10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Don't get me wrong, and this is just a variation on a Grateful Dead joke, but.

"When I stopped drinking I realized I could no longer sit through an hour of straight blues songs".

Squittolo and Mike Eskimo like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I drank like my daddy before me. I don't even know why I drank, but I started in my early teens. I drank until 22 years ago, I didn't consciously think about why I drank, I just did. Most days I would drink a quart of whiskey. I would have spells where I didn't drink, but they went away. Finally, I just made up my mind to stop and I did. The thing that stands out more than anything else about not drinking is that reality intrudes into my life far more than it did when I drank. I was able to avoid reality most of the time when I drank, but it's here to stay now. The other big change in my life was that I lost the fear of being arrested. Recently, young son, and I were stopped in a drunk check station, it felt so cool to know that we would be continuing on our way! One of those AA guys once told me after I had been quit for ten years, that I hadn't faced my problem, and that I was just a dry drunk. I didn't much care what he thought, I'm still a dry drunk, twelve years later.

Squittolo and Mike Eskimo like this.
  12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is Paul Overstreets’s version of an answer to this question. He makes it sound easy for the whole family.

Squittolo likes this.
  13. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Happened to me in ‘88. I’d begun hitting the gym a year before. After quitting workout quality skyrocketed. Felt great!

Squittolo likes this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I never drank that much but usually have a beer, share a beer or consume a little wine with my wife for most meals. In college I drank more.

Maybe moderation helped me not lose reality as some close associates have.

As much as I wonder about the frequent small amounts, I don't think there's any dependency because I don't drink alcoholic beverages at all if I don't like the choice or choices.

Why I bring this up and why it's a mystery is I'm generally a total funster or hedonist but the thought of actually getting drunk is repulsive. Maybe @Toto'sDad reality comment is part of it. Now too much of my life has benefited by not getting out of hand. Maybe I'm "whipped"? There's no way I'd be 31 years with my smart and beautiful wife if I let some matters get out of hand. Maybe I'm fooling myself but I've also for me tried really hard to be a decent parent and that's meant better behavior.

Squittolo and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah I noticed that too hahaha

Squittolo and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well the first days were the hardest dealing with things such as pdst and other things ..but after dealing with the demons and facing them straight in the eye those issues got better. My playing improved 3 fold (for obvious reasons) and the stage fright was bad to begin with but you get over it quickly as you settle back into a sober life yadda yada

Squittolo likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

You are making some assumptions that may not be correct. I drank for many years, yet I never missed a days work from drinking, unless of course I was in jail which happened occasionally. However, I married well, was a good provider, and my wife did most of the child rearing. We owned property, and had a lot of great times, I was just inebriated to some degree through an awful lot of it. I was for the most part a person who could handle fairly large quantities of alcohol without people being aware that I had been drinking.

Our children turned out well, one being a licensed professional engineer and the other having a management position with a large insurance concern which is part of a school system. My deceased son was a licensed general contractor. while I enjoyed life after achieving total sobriety, I may have enjoyed life even more as a drinker. I like to think that life is better sober, and I will not return to drinking, but there is something to be said of the enhancement of an already good experience by having a drink while enjoying the experience.

Squittolo and imwjl like this.
  18. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

What is a dry drunk? It sounds like AA name calling to put someone else down.

Squittolo likes this.
  19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I think we might misunderstand each other. I interpreted or read into your post that things worked better when you were not drinking a lot.

I also don't think I should get too much credit for parenting but I did try where I thought my parents could or should have done differently in some areas.

Squittolo and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

There is no question that things work better for me sober, than when I'm drinking. I just think that drinking if there a way to limit it to an absolute minimum enhances an already good experience. It took me a very long time to finally realize there are those who can drink sociably and not have it cause them any problems, then there are people who lie to themselves.:D

Squittolo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.