1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What happened to you after you stopped drinking?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

I stopped drinking for 17 months. I lost 10 lbs, slept better and snored a lot less. I do drink now, but the reset was good for several reasons: I no longer drink at home, I only drink beer (no hard liquor or wine), and I drink less.

Squittolo likes this.
  2. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Oof. Yeah, I just don't put myself in the situations of being around people looking to get trashed. My friends have all been supportive of me not drinking, I've never had to say no twice.

Squittolo and carpenter like this.
  3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped drinking 2 years before I could do so legally and that was a very long time ago . Not much changed for me other than not spending money for alcohol . I have recently begun making alcohol that I don't drink . I even had and am having more of my melomel refined/distilled out of nothing more than curiosity .

Squittolo likes this.
  4. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

i quit drinking Sept 9 2001, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight i can see why that`s when i should have started

Squittolo and graybeard65 like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

reading through the threads , its interesting, because such emphisis is placed on the social aspects , or is it self confidence, or depression , a coping mechanism I dont know , but all in all its only alcohol and if I replaced my drinking with say tea, coffee, soda, it would really make no difference to me at all , on occasion I do get the urge to have a drink , but I seldom folloe through with getting one.

For any one posting if these are real issues for you , find a way to gain some support , if you have to ask about it then the question is all ready in there and believe me you will fall down on occasion and best of wishes to those who need it!

Squittolo likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I was released from prison, got my wife back, re-hired to my old job, my dog came home and mama rose from the grave

Squittolo, bloomz and thunderbyrd like this.
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t think this shows everyone on here has a drinking problem. I think it shows the huge amount of people that read and post here. Play music and have fun.

Squittolo, KWal, carpenter and 2 others like this.
  8. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Similar experience, would get sick after 3 beers, in one case real sick, and we think (because more than one of us got sick) that it was the new plastic coating inside the can, supposed to keep it from reacting to the metal or something.
    No problem with bottled beer.

Squittolo likes this.
  9. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

A word to the wise, if you're a heavy drinker and you want to stop, see a doctor that deals with drinkers before you do.

Squittolo, graybeard65 and carpenter like this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I wish I could say that early sobriety was pixie dust, pink clouds peace, love and understanding, if I said that it was I'd be a liar.
    Early sobriety was like, felt like ,being a piece of raw liver pulled through a knot hole.
    Thirty-seven years later I dealing with my family of origin issues , physical emotional and sexual abuse before the age of five, resulting in life long PTSD. I'm as happy as I 've ever been , more so. I'm glad suicidal ideation didn't win out, and find the eternal present very entertaining.No longer more afraid of living than dying, and peacefully accepting that I am mortal, and will die just like everybody else.I am grateful to be alive today.

Squittolo, Bergy, graybeard65 and 2 others like this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And my pickup truck, came back from the crusher, somehow back to showroom nice.

Man, we could write some songs, right here.

Squittolo likes this.
  12. Teisco88

Teisco88 TDPRI Member

It's my second year man. I'll try to not waste your time with my story, I'll just tell you what helped. I drank for years, I drank every night, I drank alone and I drank a lot. Suddenly, life got very hard where I live, I had to quit, people depended on me. I started going back to the boxing club again from week 2, being sober was not fun and I needed to distract myself from that. Working again after many years was taxing, but it was so effective for my mood that I quit smoking a few months later. The good news is, 2 years later, my alcoholic fatty liver is gone, my liver enzymes are normal, the body feels good. Intermittent fasting, good diet and lots of vitamins helped too.

For me, it helped taking a break from friends I drank and smoked with, lucky for me, they fled the country. Had to do it alone, and the absence of collective feeling sorry for ourselves helped. 2 years ago life got pretty hard where I live. It's even harder now, I'm surrounded by actual demons, "ISIS types, 72 virgins fans, kill the infidel type," but 99% of them don't mess with you when you're fit af, you stare them down, they see it in your eyes.

In my humble experience, being a dude from a schithole turd world country with not much education, power is the answer. I know you guys are smarter and more sophisticated than I am, your lives are different, you live in the civilised world, more complex societies, more advanced cultures I can't comprehend. But do it, go to a club, ask them to teach you how to fight, and use it against demons, metaphoric or real. Fight the demons with your fists, don't think, just fight, physically, just throw combinations until one of you is gone, that's when it ends, either way.

13. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    One has to wonder why someone would ask questions like this.
    If the OP stated why, I might reply
    I didn't read all the posts in the thread

Squittolo likes this.
  14. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

More $$ in my pocket, better player, more friends, zero wandering on significant others, no hangovers

for starters

15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You didn’t get your pickup back?

Squittolo and bloomz like this.
  16. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I’ll let you know in an hour when I stop. For the night.

Squittolo likes this.
  17. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It’s really real. In College it was considered fun, innocuous. I knew several who washed out because of drugs and alcohol.

Squittolo and FenderGuy53 like this.
  18. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Find out the reasons you are self-medicating, pay what you would have for alcohol for a good psychotherapist.

Squittolo likes this.
  19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

What happened ... At first, not much except a pissed off, naked feeling at having no defense against depression, no way to dull the pain. It was a time of clinical depression for me then, not lightweight stuff, a long struggle in which quitting was a sort of surrender to all that I could not admit or live with.

Months like that. Slowly, I began to feel relieved at not drinking. Clear headed. Going to meetings, understanding more deeply what I had known for a long time. That I had to find a different way to live. Alcohol would kill me slowly, as it had so many family members. No more pretending. Living with that awareness went from grim and scary to normal, a source of quiet pride and hope. It took awhile, years.

I began to understand that in a sober life, good feelings are subtle, gifts to be cherished. It takes motivation, effort and conscious awareness to live unmedicated, doing w/o the reliable blur and regularity of drinking. (I had been a controlled drinker, so it was all about regulating my existence ...) Slowly I got comfortable with new, better habits. By now, they're automatic. What's left is a daily thankfulness that I wake up sober, and a deep commitment to never take the easy way out again.

Squittolo, bloomz and graybeard65 like this.
  20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I haven't drank in a month, I've lost 15 pounds.

Squittolo, Greggorios and bcorig like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.