What happened to you after you stopped drinking?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

And just to reiterate because I’m an a-hole like that and because sometimes people need to hear it :

If you take part in that sober January thing and you notice any difference whatsoever ?

you drink too much every other month of the year.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mom, is that you?

I am doing a no-booze January. I started before Christmas, so I didn't overdo the season.

Will I go back to my usual pattern? Well, I'm not normally a reflective guy but I've been thinking about the context of how and when I drink. Drinking with meals and with friends is fine, for me, but I want to stop using alcohol as medication for psychological problems. We'll see.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

AKA we seek our own level?

Some don't drink a lot but hit "that bar" at noon and stay slumped there till bedtime when they shuffle home.
    Not that bad, only had a few.
    Some binge, some daily, some angry, some gamble, some cheat on spouses, some terrify the kids but never touch them.

And an awful lot of us who drink go to bars with live music.

Bars and music and songs about drinking oh my...

Last night a guy in a nearby program got his year in my home group.

His Father on his left, his teen brother on his right, his Mother next, and his teen sister next to mom.
    Both parents talked a bit and both are sober for some years but clearly raised him while drunk and quit drinking after he left home to live at least some of the time under a bridge.
    You could almost spot them on the street as drinkers, but then who isn't?

IDK what this forum is now, I mean we got the exciting new tonemaster to discuss but WTH can we do with all those new same old guitars with a different knob or a different shade of seafoam green?
    Seems like Fender is "drunky drunk".
    Seems like the world is about the same.

I do agree though that reports of quantities consumed can amaze.
    I could never drink a gallon or whatever is really huuuuge in terms of intake.
    40 years is a long time too but by that standard drinkers should stop drinking after 35 years at age 50?

Here we are trying to play our durned guitars and not hurt anybody in the process.
    Plus maybe write a song or two about something real.

Squittolo and Deepblankspace like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been drinking about the context of how and when I think too.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Thinking can be dangerous you know.

Squittolo likes this.
  5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

I like these threads.

Squittolo, bloomz, KWal and 1 other person like this.
  6. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Time to join the Rolling Stones for a couple of years , I'd say ....

Squittolo likes this.
  7. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

That was kind of couter productive mike. We all have crutches. Can you take me to the AA ? should be a 10 hours flight, then between 5 to 10 hours drive depending on where you land.;)

Squittolo and Mike Eskimo like this.
  8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Since I only drink one or two drinks a day, and I haven't stopped, I can't answer the OP's question.

Squittolo likes this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I joined the Marines on my 17th birthday and drinking became a daily thing for the next 17 years. Once I left, the drinking stopped almost naturally. The first thing I noticed was how many friends I had that were not really friends, just drinking buddies, and once I stopped they faded away.

There wasn't that much of a physical change really for me, just more of an elevated stress level throught the days. If you don't have a good diversion, you start to remember things you don't want to remember and think about things you don't want to think about. That is when I took up playing guitar and it has worked without any hangovers.

Squittolo likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Squittolo and Milspec like this.
  11. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I remembered why I had started drinking in the first place, and immediately made the decision to start again

Squittolo likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Celibacy

Squittolo likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Quit 20 years ago

What changed was that I had money and a car and license. People stopped avoiding me. I was in a much better mood. Probably because I had money again

Playing music got much higher on my list of things I started enjoying again. I could get the type of equipment I wanted.

And best of all my parents were alive to see it

Some things felt funny at first. Like live NASCAR races or watching the Super Bowl, stuff like that. Not worrying about the cop car behind me was pretty liberating though. After awhile you don't miss it. Especially when you see some drunk being really stupid in public. Or hung over at work, that kind of stuff

I have had vivid dreams of being drunk again that absolutely scared me to death. I figure that's a sign of some sort. So no, I don't think you'll ever see bad reviews about not drinking

Squittolo, braveheart and bloomz like this.
  14. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

I didn't drink for 16 years, then I turned 17.

Squittolo and braveheart like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I keep losing interest in alcoholic beverages.

I've got this case of beer I've been meaning to put in the fridge, but I keep forgetting.

I drank quite a bit of white wine, Christmas Eve night, then awoke in the morning with no hangover at all. I don't get it. I think maybe it was because I'd had so little alcohol in the previous three months. Because the stuff just bores me. I suppose this just annoys the rest of you, to read this, so I'll stop.

Squittolo likes this.
  16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Stopped being deeply depressed. A very big bonus when you have bipolar disorder too.

17. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

We bought our first house 3 years ago.
    It has a REALLY nice porch and our neighbors are pretty cool and love to drink.
    I found myself drinking a lot beer and more bourbon than usual. I cut back last summer and went from 195-165. I'm 6'2.

I think some of it was the cutting back on alcohol but also the decision to eat an entire pizza after a night of drinking ceased to be an issue.

That said I love beer and bourbon and have no plans to stop.

Squittolo likes this.
  18. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

It took eight or ten days to stop shaking enough to write legibly, and the sugar cravings were awful. 90 days and 90 meetings later found me on the right path, and starting to see momentary glimpses of sanity and serenity. The original plan was to quit and join AA in order to learn how to drink socially...and it was the better part of two years before this person quit daydreaming about ways to sneak "...just one...". It takes daily reflection and a group of like-minded and caring souls to keep on the path that saved my life.

Sober today and grateful to be alive.

Squittolo, bloomz, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  19. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I'm one of the lucky ones who can simply decide "I've had enough for a while" and just walk away from the stuff.

I'm doing the 4th or 5th No Alcohol January and I'm not feeling any different.

It might have to do with the fact that I consider 3 or 4 tall boys and 2 or 3 large shots of bourbon a hard night of heavy drinking.

For some of you serious drinkers, that's breakfast!

Squittolo likes this.
  20. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I play in bands with people that drink responsible and have their lives together also, I'm really just complaining about 1 or 2 guys. 1 of which is doing a "dry January" so I'm trying to be supportive and get him to get it together. I think his issues may be more deep seeded than mine, I'm not in recovery, I just had some bad habits I had to knock off. I understand completely that for others its a different story.

Squittolo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.