What happened to you after you stopped drinking?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 16, 2020.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

What were the positive and negative effects after days,months...when did you notice them?

(psyche, fears,demons,body etc.)

How was it to go on stage sober etc ?

What kind of drinker were you (weekend binge drinker/daily heavy or moderate drinker,casual drinker etc.) ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My girlfriends became less attractive almost immediately.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I went sober before a heart valve operation last year. After day ! it is rougher but I only drink mid strength beer. Then you get better each day. Stayed off it for 4 months. Plan to give it away at Easter for as long as I can.
    Going sober gets worse, to me, then better When I am dry I have lots of energy, walk more, play guitar and drive friends and relatives to restaurants.
    interestingly , after a few months without, my blood results were excellent. All that walking ( twice a day), good food ( no red meat) fish and chicken, plenty of veggies and must have my daily sugar intake in fruit.
    All good!:)

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I lost weight..the beer belly to be exact...;)

5. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I noticed an absence of hangovers and woke up feeling well-rested on less sleep. Otherwise no difference and don't miss it although I'll still have a margarita once or twice a year because they taste so good.

6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Less arrests.

7. trev333

became a more consistent pool player,,, ;)

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

If you’re talking about alcoholism after the shakes subside (get medical help if you get tremors)

I didn’t notice anything really except I stopped gaining weight like mentioned, it also didn’t take long to stop wanting it after a deep soul searching of what it did to me, of course I still think about it but I have no desire for a drink and I feel fine and a lot better now I don’t drink
    I think my mental/emotional being is a lot more stable
    As far as a time period it took me a good year to really not crave it

I Was nauseous and shaky and felt like death was looming when I didn’t drink and out of it if I over drank, don’t miss one thing about that

Now if you’re talking about just a beer here and there I’m not sure

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  9. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I'm 26 and still have never had a beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of liquor. I've never had a drop of alcohol, yet. So I'm not even sure how it would effect me or if I would like it or not. Never smoked a cigarette or cigar. I've never done any drugs other than a rare tylenol for a headache (I usually just put up with the headache), unless you count caffeine found in sweet tea as a drug haha.

I know that ain't what you asked but I was just joining in.

10. trev333

for me, something changed.... mid 90's I started to get bad headaches after any amount of beers... prior to that I had never really noticed any drastic hangover effect from a few beers...

one conversation mentioned yeast aversion... ok I'll cut out beer altogether and drink clear drinks... vodka/tequila and soda/mixers...never got any more head aches..

right, it's not the alcohol, something changed in the beer?...a new chem additive maybe?... or my physiology changed in a short time?...

Whatever... I just stuck to Bourbon and coke after a while and I'm good with that... I never put on any more weight over 20 yrs using coke as a mixer... though a cancer scare a few years back made me cut back drinking to a few cans or wild turkey and cola once in a while....

never missed beer for a second... it's pretty blurk really... and kept me out of the public bar happy hour swills.... :lol:

there's never any happy hour on bourbons down here..:(... it's cheaper to get take aways...;)

Squittolo likes this.
  11. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

great,were you a moderate drinker?
    did you have "lots of energy" between drinking before?

Squittolo likes this.
  12. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Haven’t managed to stay on the wagon for long stretches yet but here is my 2 cents.

When drying out I have lotsa trouble sleeping with cold sweats at night...basically my sheets are drenched in sweat as I roll around sleeplessly all night. When I manage to fall asleep the dreams are vivid, weird as **** and often a bit terrifying. It usually takes 3 days for me to start feeling the withdrawals intensely, though. The first day and a half I’m usually nursing a hangover and start to actually feel better. Cognitively during the day, I notice my thinking gets maladaptive and recursive...i.e I get to thinking about one negative thing and have a hard time disrupting myself from that negative thought cycle. For me the worst alcohol withdrawals are from roughly day 3 to day 10.

As for on stage performance. I think that depends on your normal state a bit. Unfortunately I kinda got used to playing gigs intoxicated. I often play really up tight when I go into gigs sober. IME, I gotta stay sober for like 2-3 months before I readjust to performing sober.

13. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

any positive/negative effects? What drinker type were you?

Squittolo likes this.
  14. Fretting out

As a solitary person I never understood going to the bar and spending 5 times for something than just go to the store and getting it cheaper
    Maybe I just didn’t want company on my spiral down

Sounds Good, Squittolo, drf64 and 5 others like this.
  15. trev333

a weekend drinker usually, going to watch bands or at parties.. a few beers after work maybe... I've always had a handle on it..

the main thing was when I gave up beer I lost the beer belly in about 6 mths... and no more headaches..

as I mentioned, I didn't give up alcohol completely...

16. Fretting out

I commend you sir
    I say stay away, your not missing anything, once the artificial joy wears off it just ends up being a hassle
    Wish I never got myself into spots I am and anyone else that’s struggled will tell you the same thing
    You’ll loose more than you gain

Right on

17. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

The emotional rollercoasters stopped. things got way slower. Idle chat is no longer possible there is no way i'm going to sit around a coffee to know the latest gossips, even though i didn't even like it before.

You get better sleep, no more being cold and sweating gooey at night, a clearer head, maybe a little less paranoia.

More importantly for the tdpri, way less s**t posting.

I have not stopped drinking though, but i try to slow it down.

Squittolo, Frodebro, P-Nutz and 2 others like this.
  18. trev333

that's where the pool playing comes in.... you mostly play for beers in pubs... when you win, you drink for free..:)

until your winning streak starts sliding after too many beers.... then it's usually time to go clubbing or go home...

Deepblankspace and Squittolo like this.
  19. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

I think that "negative thought cycle" (demons) is always dangerous and often the reason for drinking...it's just too easy to turn them into a "party mood"...(I know that)
    What kind of drinker are you?

Squittolo likes this.
  20. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Six weeks after I stopped drinking in 2013, I went into my local grocery shop. The lady behind the counter said "Ah, skin so clear - eyes so blue". Fifteen months later I was so recovered that I started drinking again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.