What happened to my Crybaby?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by jshape, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

What's up, y'all! I've got a Crybaby 535q that has served me well for some time now. It's getting up there in years (probably close to 10), and it recently started giving me some trouble. Where it once gave me a wide-sweeping, funky wah that could take me to Pearl Jam/McCready or GnR/Slash heaven, now when I stomp on it it just gives me this awful, bass-heavy tone that's not useful at all. It sounds like a wah that's stuck in the rocked-all-the-way-back position, with some bad distortion added. When I rock the pedal back and forth, it only ever-so-slightly changes the tone, accenting pretty much just the bass no matter what position it's in. The sweep is gone!

My question is: Is this something that is fixable, or is it time to go hunting for a new wah? Could it just need a new pot or potentiometer or something? I don't know much about electronics, just enough to be dangerous. I solder my own pick-ups all the time, but never worked on a pedal - could it be something I could fix myself, and if so is it worth it? Or is fixing it probably going to run me about as much as a new wah?

I await your expert opinions. Thanks a lot for your help, and have a nice day!

2. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

When my Crybaby stopped working I took the cover off, sprayed some contact cleaner into the pot and made sure everything else looked good. I cleaned and relubed the pinion gear and got all the dust out from the insides. It worked good as new (it is more than 20 years old). Maybe that is all yours needs.

3. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

The wah works by a rack and pinion. The rack is held against the pinion by a pressure element (plastic clip) and this may have broken or fallen out or twisted out of position. If so its an easy fix. Open it up and have a look. Just remove the 4 rubber feet.

Attached Files:

4. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. I opened it up and used some canned air to remove some dust and then tightened all connections, and now it works great! Back to my favorite wah! Phew...

Thanks again for the help!

Blessings,

Jeff

5. lamusician

lamusician TDPRI Member

I ended up getting a relacemet pot for mine and its good as new
    hot potz I thinkthey were called

6. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

Is there a way to adjust the sweep of the original cry baby?

Can I open and monkey with the pieces to adjust it, or is it stuck with the factory settings? It's too heavy on the treble side, and almost useless with my Jazzmaster unless I back way off on the tone knob first.

7. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

Loosen the clutch and twist to one side. Pull the rack away from the pinion and turn the rack clockwise (I think) a little and then reassemble. Try it and then do it again if need be. Trial and error.
    If that doesnt work as you'd like then you have to go to modding the cap and resistor values but from what you say that should do it.
    http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.