1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What guitars do you own that you're pretty confident are about the coolest example

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by blowtorch, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

That's stunning... But I don't think it could be Brazilian rosewood.

Fendereedo and effzee like this.
  2. Manothemtns

Manothemtns Tele-Meister

There's but one of these out there so by default it's the coolest example. 207434d7c79539c9fddeb2e52ffad1a0(1).jpg

JL_LI, Fendereedo and posttoastie like this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh, forgot this one. Pretty nice example of a double bound burst Tele...

t-custom.jpg

- D

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

One of a kinds so...

F938215E-572D-4D52-9B9A-4A10EF8536D0.jpeg

Attached Files:

teletimetx, JL_LI, thechad and 4 others like this.
  5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

Custom made by a guy in Las Vegas who has made guitars for George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Mike Campbell, Andy Summers, Carl Perkins, and one of the guys from Heart. Don’t know why, all of a sudden, my pic has clipped off the top and bottom.

40B431E4-A701-4C89-8049-FB813C625730.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

David Lindley played my Teisco TRG-2L and autographed it. I was so happy after meeting him that I didn't even care that my car had been towed, leaving only a shadow of dry pavement, in the shape of my impounded '66 VW Type III Fastback.

[​IMG]
    (I need to take new pics, the whammy bar has been replaced with the proper style.)

7. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

414098_511970148830803_1733585015_o.jpg

glenlivet, 4pickupguy, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20210215_152349.jpg
    IMG_20210215_152349.jpg 1985 Gibson Q-3000.
    I followed the entire thread and I don't believe that I saw one of these:

9. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

My car wasn’t towed, but that night I was driving my 1970 VW Type II Baja Bus. Coincidence? I think not...

Fendereedo and 62 Jazzmaster like this.
  10. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hmm. I bought the guitar new in NY 95, shortly before moving to Germany. It was an ugly duckling at the time and had been in the store about two years. The owner was happy to take my Steinberger in trade and gave me a great deal on it. I didn't know anything about it or it's history. Didn't care either.

I always thought I had an unloved, unpopular, weird heavy Telecaster, with no resale value. I almost sold it once for 200€.

When I researched the guitar, maybe ten years ago, I read an article explaining that Fender had had scraps of Brazilian rosewood in stock that they wanted to use up, and made these guitars out of it.

On many of them it's obvious that they were cobbled together from different blocks of wood, the grain doesn't match up at all. On mine, you really have to look hard to see the seams between the pieces.

My wife, who has a nose like a bloodhound, confirmed the rose scent of the pickup cavity, after I'd found that info on the internet.

I brought the guitar to Thomann once, thinking of trading it, but they wouldn't take it because I don't have a CITES certificate for it. The ban came in effect in 1992.

So that's why I think it's Brazilian.

*I live about an hour's drive from Thomann

11. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I have one of those myself (1985), and it's certainly not Brazilian rosewood but really pretty nonetheless. Perhaps yours is an exception. Try to look up the club thread... Some beautiful photos and good info in there.

Fendereedo and effzee like this.
  12. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

This is a a PRS library top custom 24 with 59/09 bridge pu and a 57/08 neck.
    Swamp ash Fat Back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    lil scotty and Fendereedo like this.
  13. wangdaning

wangdaning TDPRI Member

I have (I should say my brother and I have) a 1918 Gibson L3 that has been in the family for three generations. I would take a pic of it but my brother has it with him in Australia, choice words muttered (we are from California, I live in China now, he lives in Australia...whole other story). I started playing back when I was a teenager, late 90s, with an electric of course. Then I got the bug and was like, where is the old Gibson. My dad, being the junkie he was, had pawned it. Luckily, dad had a good friend who bought it out of pawn and returned it. Thing was great, though I doubt the crack repairs done on the arches, the bridge being lifted by popsicle sticks and the frets now gone after my playing it for hours have gotten any better. I wish I could swoop it up and start restoring it, but that thing was amazing. Sound for ages, 4x4 for a neck, and you had to know it to be able to play it.

14. musky55

musky55 Tele-Meister

Steadman Shredder.jpg Hollow pressed steel body, by me

teletimetx, JL_LI, thechad and 5 others like this.
  15. musky55

musky55 Tele-Meister

JBA.jpg Nickel plated pressed steel body and Tuxedo Tele with Joe B and my son

16. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Because it survived being used as a weapon in a bar fight back in the 80’s while I was out on break.
    AF2AA644-961E-489F-9E04-6B46422B5796.png 7B9D0233-434E-44AC-9BFE-5EA2FC695CE3.png

teletimetx, lil scotty, JL_LI and 7 others like this.
  17. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

2011 Taylor GS8. From finger style to heavy strumming, every note is clear as a bell. It can do it all!! I call it the Beast! An astoundingly beautiful looking, sounding, and playing guitar!
    IMG_3570.JPG

Godin Acousticaster - Acoustic sounds with zero feedback and it looks like a Tele! I've had several people over the years say, "Wow! What is that! It looks like an electric guitar but it sounds like an acoustic guitar!" :)
    IMG_3569.JPG

2012 MIM FSR Black Paisley Telecaster. I get compliments on it every time I gig it. It and the Acousticaster look very bad ass! Backup to my Copperburst.
    IMG_3568.JPG

2010 MIM Copperburst Telecaster, Guitar Center Edition. Only 300 made. I drove to Niagara Falls NY from Oakville Ontario, Canada to pick it up (about 75-90 minutes), brought it across the border and gigged it that night. It now has a noiseless neck pickup after the original went microphonic. It's my #1 gigging electric and the Black Paisley is its backup.
    IMG_3567.JPG

- 1990s Takamine N15C. My gigging acoustic for many years while doing standup and musical comedy. Autographed by Canadian singer songwriter and guitar virtuoso, Bruce Cockburn (Wondering Where the Lions Are, etc.), Neil Finn of Crowded House and Split Enz (had drinks with him many years ago - great guy) AND Sheryl Crow!!
    IMG_3566.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    4pickupguy, JL_LI, Fendereedo and 2 others like this.
  18. tubedude

tubedude TDPRI Member

Coolest in tone if not looks.
    '66 Strat. 20210410_101151.jpg

teletimetx, JL_LI, akuster777 and 2 others like this.
  19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

IMG_0076.jpg
    My homemade offset strat-style guitar, copper pickguard, Seymour Duncan Antiquity neck and Pearly Gates in the bridge, Bill Lawrence 500XL middle, Lacewood on Mahogany.

IMG_0153.jpg
    StewMac thinline body, homemade brass top, (a hard to see lightning bolt sound hole)
    IMG_0202.JPG
    Warmoth Padouk capped Black Korina body thinline ordered without a sound hole so that I could create my own lightning bolt.
    IMG_0233.jpg
    My homemade brass top Mahogany body Seymour Duncan JB and Bill Lawrence 500XL
    IMG_0235-2.jpg
    Warmoth Alder body, copper pickguard, Seymour Duncan Antiquities
    IMG_0272.jpg
    Warmoth quilted Maple on Alder, anodized aluminum pickguard, Seymour Duncan Five-Two pickups
    IMG_0404.jpg
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme, gold metal pickup surrounds, brass bridge and tailpiece, Schaller strap locks and and gold metal pickup selector switch tip, Seymour Duncan 59/JB, vintage style knobs and Optima 24k gold strings

M2roadwarrior, JL_LI, TigerG and 2 others like this.
  20. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I kinda dig my Telemaster too

D6F04E51-554F-40A4-A136-2FEE628403B6.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.