What guitar that you still own has been in your possession the longest?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Otis Fine, Sep 2, 2016.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Great thread!! It's kinda heartwarming to see all these old girls trotted out, and to know that many of us hold on to them for basically a lifetime.

There is definitely something very comforting about an old friend that gives you joy and brings back memories every time you pick it up.

Otis Fine likes this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. But why no tone knobs?

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous - my perfect acoustic. I have a '26 L-1 which gets me most of the way there although it has an amber top rather than the beautiful sunburst, and a '29 tenor version with the burst. I'm guessing yours is a '28 from the seven pin bridge?

Marlin B and Otis Fine like this.
  4. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

I have a parts Tele that my late wife gave me for a late christmas present in 2010...VERY heavy body seems like maple, top loader and rosewood fingerboard, unknown body and neck makers...all natural with black PG and old Fender Tele bridge pickup, with a P90 Gibson at the neck. GOOD guitar that I don't play often enough. It came out of a pawnshop...

awasson and Otis Fine like this.
  5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

This is mine, a1979 ES355. I got it when I was 18 in 1995 and it was the first guitar I bought with my own money. All the coolest guys played a 355, from Chuck and BB King through to my teen heroes Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr - hell, even Marty McFly was almost in the club - so it seemed like the only sensible option.

It's a Norlin, it's got the wonky late 70s shape with the wide waist and F holes in the wrong place, it came down with the dreaded 355 pickguard rot, the electronics are awful and it's an unfashionable colour... but my god, I love this guitar.

[​IMG]

oldmark, rze99, Otis Fine and 4 others like this.
  6. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

I can't believe how many of you guys were rocking legit full fledged Gibson/Fender/etc as a first guitar! Very cool

Otis Fine likes this.
  7. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

1975 Tele, swopped a '76 bicentennial Firebird for it in 1980, been my main guitar ever since. Been through a lot of mods in it's lifetime! The '67 Melody maker is long gone but the Gibby amp I've owned since 1990 is still with me.

upload_2016-9-3_19-56-51.png

Otis Fine likes this.
  8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

You could, back in the day. Used wasn't vintage, It was....used.

oldmark and Otis Fine like this.
  9. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

WP_20150818_19_52_05_Pro.jpg
    Here's my Tanglewood. Bought in about 1988. The wood around the sound-holes came off, so I used plastic floor tiles to replace it. Tough pickguard but not very stylish.
    It's a great guitar, lovely tone.

Otis Fine likes this.
  10. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

Yes of course, but that doesn't change the fact that they're Gibson /usa fender etc guitars. Still way more expensive then the knockoff stuff, used or not! If everyone had that luxury I'd be willing to bet there'd be a lot more guitarists out there... Like I said very cool. I know when I got my first Gibson I played 10x as much vs with my epiphone, it was much more satisfying /inspiring.

Otis Fine likes this.
  11. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been enjoying all these tales, so here's mine:
    In 1977 when I was 16 years old, I got my hands on this '61 ES-335. I had my first real job, and I knew what I wanted to spend my hard-earned bussing tips on was a dot-neck 335. This was before the dot-neck craze, but I had always preferred the look of the dots over the blocks. So I kept a close eye on the want ads and amazingly enough this thing turned up after probably only a couple weeks. $400 and that included a Pignose! I had to make two trips from Santa Fe to Albuquerque to complete the buy, $200 the first trip so seller would hold it for me until I had the other $200 a couple weeks later.
    The Pignose is long gone, and all that's left of the original guitar is the body, the binding, and the two knobs. The original neck broke a couple times so I had a maple neck/ebony fretboad put on in 1980. The guitar was originally right-handed, and some shoddy attempts to have the bridge re-set at the lefty angle left the wood in that area compromised and ultimately led to the decision to have a brass block installed under the bridge (and hey, this was the 70's, brass was king!). There were other scars from the lefty conversion, so I somewhat foolishly let my brother refinish it. His paint job was visually very cool, but he did something weird that caused dirt to cake up on it. By 1992 that finish was shot and I didn't like the neck, so I turned it over to an archtop luthier in Amherst MA named Brad Nickerson (he's in Asheville NC now). He put on a real wide maple/ebony neck that I just love, and did a dark burgundy-burst finish. 24 years into the Nickerson incarnation, it's still my favorite guitar I've ever played.

L-R, circa 1978, circa 1986, present day
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2nd runner up is an Ibanez Concord (copy of a Gibson Dove) that I've had since 1980.
    [​IMG]

awasson and Otis Fine like this.
  12. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Great thread...

Here's my lifer - 1994 (Peerless) Epiphone Riviera - was my number 1 guitar from the age of 19 till I was 30 and bought my Telecaster.

[​IMG]

Otis Fine likes this.
  13. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

You remind me how much I hate the word "vintage".

oldmark and Otis Fine like this.
  14. Pup Tentacle

Pup Tentacle Tele-Holic

Otis Fine likes this.
  15. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another battle tested guitar worthy of a salute. Respect.

TigerG likes this.
  16. waymore

waymore TDPRI Member

1981 Martin D-35 acquired new in May, 1982. Traded a 1979 Les Paul Deluxe and a 1968 Twin Reverb for it. I was in a Bluegrass band at the time...

Otis Fine likes this.
  17. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I have a 1957 Les Paul Jr TV Model that I bought in 1970

I always wanted a sunburst but ended up with the TV model that's grown on me

Gary

Otis Fine likes this.
  18. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nothing special, an eighties Aria Pro 2 Heritage series AK 200 Classical that my mom bought new for me in 1986 when my then music teacher urged her that in order for me to develop as a player I should have a better guitar.
    DSC00658.JPG
    It's been a LONG time since I actually got it out of the gig bag it permanently resides in, in fact when I took it out for the pictures, the A string had snapped.

DSC00659.JPG
    It bears all the scars of 30 years of being in my ownership, dings and scrapes, glue residue of where a Schaller Oyster pickup sat. These days I seldom play it and yet I'd be lost without it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Otis Fine likes this.
  19. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

The one in my avatar pic... a Classic '50s 2-tone sunburst body that I found on eBay several years ago - beautiful two-piece bookmatched ash - that I mated with a Classic '60s neck. So it essentially looks like the Teles from late 1959 to early 1961 when they first switched to rosewood, but when the red paint that they used on their 3-tone sunbursts faded out, leaving only a 2-tone burst. "1960" Tele.jpg

rze99, oldmark and Otis Fine like this.
  20. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

1962 Gretsch Tennessean. Bought it used in '66 for $200 bucks, I think. Still have it. Played a lot of gigs over the next decade with it, before moving on to Les Pauls, Strats and Teles. Will never part with it. Sounds lovely...may wander upstairs and get it out for a while, come to think of it.

rze99, oldmark and Otis Fine like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.