What Guitar Have You Been Playing Lately?

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Just got a new Harley Benton Junior so been playing that a lot.

View attachment 988205
Hey, I have one of those on my workbench now. Got it for a measly $60. I have not gotten around to string it up and solder in some new pots yet. I am also changing the bridge for a Wilkninson compensated wraparound, as I do not like the looks or feel of the standard. I have read about people finding the P-90 a tad bright, is that right?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Whoa man what the heck is THAT?
Ibanez Pat Metheny model.
They make one and two pickup models.
They also offer a black finish.
They’re nice!
It has his name on the 21st fret marker, the label in the top F hole, and his initials on the tailpiece.
I love the top cutaway.
Unique and ingenious, like the man himself!

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I got a Boss GP-10 earlier this year and to make the most of its capabilities fitted GK-3 hex pickups to 2 of my guitars -- so they are getting the bulk of the airtime now:
1653807844585.png
IMG_2022-02-23-23-55-24-299.jpg

The Jazzmaster got played a lot anyway, but it's increased the SE245's time in the rotation.

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey, I have one of those on my workbench now. Got it for a measly $60. I have not gotten around to string it up and solder in some new pots yet. I am also changing the bridge for a Wilkninson compensated wraparound, as I do not like the looks or feel of the standard. I have read about people finding the P-90 a tad bright, is that right?
I''ve had one of these before (and stupidly sold it....) and the P90 was fine but too low from the strings which made it sound thin. Raising it is the key. Conventional spacers don't quite fit as Roswell covers are a bit different shape. Last time I improvised but this time I've ordered a couple of Roswell ones from Musicstore.de. I'll know next week if it's successful, otherwise I might replace it...although I only sofa noodle now so not sure if it's that important.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
They’re nice!
It has his name on the 21st fret marker, the label in the top F hole, and his initials on the tailpiece.
I love the top cutaway.
Is there any truth in the rumour that they are introducing an @Jupiter signature model in DPP sparkle?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Whoa man what the heck is THAT?

They’re nice!
I love the top cutaway.
Yep, Bill got it. It's an odd guitar that Metheny has only played a little bit himself (if you search for videos of his Orchestrion project you can see it). It's thinner than his other Ibanez signature models—it's a bit thicker than a 335—but it's still fully hollow like a 330, so it's a real hybrid. It is the first electric guitar I have ever owned that I did not want to change SOMETHING about it; I even swapped the pickup on my Heritage 175-style archtop, but the Ibanez Silent 58 pups sound great. And it plays like a dream.

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Been rocking my Epi Joan Jett Olympic. Bought it, love it, and had a good tech do a full level on it.

Needs to be played through a Marshall stack but must resist lol

I bought it for the specs, not because of Joan, but I see she's in concert in the area Friday. Might go, pending the weather. It's outside.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Have you seen @Jupiter’s purple ES style that he made himself?
Way cooler than my critter!
Arrived late and missed that so had to suft back through to find it.
Cool indeed!

Something has happened to me over the years where nice guitars used to be exciting and now they just look like consumer wealth symbols, too many too pretty too expensive ends up turning me off.

What gets me is relationship, where a guitar reflects the player who spent years with it. Better still personalized as if the relationship was give and take.
Tells a story, has an identity, not a run if the mill cranking out luxy product.

I dont know why I feel this way, it just happened.
That Tele of yours is one of the most memorable on the internet.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Arrived late and missed that so had to suft back through to find it.
Cool indeed!

Something has happened to me over the years where nice guitars used to be exciting and now they just look like consumer wealth symbols, too many too pretty too expensive ends up turning me off.

What gets me is relationship, where a guitar reflects the player who spent years with it. Better still personalized as if the relationship was give and take.
Tells a story, has an identity, not a run if the mill cranking out luxy product.

I dont know why I feel this way, it just happened.
That Tele of yours is one of the most memorable on the internet.
Well considered!
I have long, deep and fruitful relationships with a few of my instruments.
I also have instruments that I enjoy mainly aesthetically.
They look cool, or have unique attributes I admire.
I own 16 good instruments.
About 6 are indispensable for my work.
The other 10 (admittedly a lot), are recreational.
I play them at home.
They come and go.
I plan to distill my woodpile a bit.
I don’t need a thing.
Guitars, and guitar playing are dual lifelong obsessions.
My One True Thing.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Been rocking my Epi Joan Jett Olympic. Bought it, love it, and had a good tech do a full level on it.

Needs to be played through a Marshall stack but must resist lol

I bought it for the specs, not because of Joan, but I see she's in concert in the area Friday. Might go, pending the weather. It's outside.

Joan Jett is awesome. She is so much better than the status this world gives her right now. I would not miss a chance to see her, but I will gladly miss all those 80s hacks she's getting billed with.