What Guitar Have You Been Playing Lately?

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
My Yamaha FG-160 acoustic. I had a gig playing it Wednesday afternoon at a senior living center.
Yamaha FG160 IMG_3677 (3).JPG

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
Lately its my Fender Deluxe Stratocaster HSS - Blizzard Pearl with Maple Fingerboard. When I bought it I had intended to swap the Fender noiseless pickups for a 920D everything axe pickguard. I liked the Fender set way more than I liked the same set in another guitar, so I left it all stock. That replaced my old parts caster as my main Strat. Its just one of those guitars that feels right.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I remember seeing a photo of that one awhile back, but maybe still with the Bullet neck on it...?

Cool project! What is the pickup?
Yeah, it had a brief pre-baritone life. Bootstrap Skookum 90 Mean. I can’t say the stock HB was bad, though. I’ve kept it around in case the need arises…

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
ES-125. My new favorite guitar. I bought it a couple of years ago. It played ok, but not great. I took it in to the shop a couple of weeks ago. The tech at my local shop is an archtop player. He did some voodoo on it. It plays like a dream now. I can't put it down. I play it acoustically on the couch. I plug it in. I love this thing.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The weekly gig I’ve had this year so far is acoustic. There are three others on acoustic, a percussionist, and electric bass. We guitar players take turns singing, and soloing, and I keep a glass slide handy.

I’ve also been listening to new music by Bruce Cockburn, and just today I discovered the new album by Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder.

My Martin 000-15M with a hum-cancelling Woody.

image.jpg

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 987794

My 64 kay galaxie and a borrowed B/G bender tele.

View attachment 987795
Whoah. That Kay is super boss. Is that what they call a “Kleenex pickup,” or something like that? Like what the old Kay Barney Kessel guitars had? I’ll bet that thing can lay down some creepy dirty amp tremolo twang.
My '80s MIJ Squier. I've been meaning to sell it because these E-Series are in vogue and I have a '15 MIA w/ the same color scheme (olympic white + rosewood). But I just can't put it down.

View attachment 987803
That is my favorite Strat color combo of all. That is beautiful.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
A guy down the dorm hall in college had an Ovation kind of like that, and I recall the pickups looking about that size but the pole pieces were arranged across them in a diagonal line. Is that how yours is? I can’t tell by zooming in.
Nope, mine are cheap Chinese mini-humbuckers with bars instead of poles under a solid cover. They sound even better than I had hoped. The original Breadwinner pickups were either humbucker-sized toroidal single coils (pre-1975) or mini-humbuckers with a dual line of poles and a 3-screw mounting system (1975 and later).
I know the pickups you're thinking of though, and came stock in the bridge position on the Ovation Viper, which is probably what your college friend had. See here:

It was a very clear-sounding bright guitar, but not shrill or harsh (even through his Crate G40C amp!) and I recall the action being pretty slick.

Cool guitar!
Thanks, I love it!

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Whoah. That Kay is super boss. Is that what they call a “Kleenex pickup,” or something like that? Like what the old Kay Barney Kessel guitars had? I’ll bet that thing can lay down some creepy dirty amp tremolo twang.

Yup, that's exactly what I like to do with it. That is the kleenex box from the barney kessels. They probably made a lot of them before they stopped making the barneys. It can sound too thick with some amps, so it sounds really good with a thin sounding 60s gibson amp that has spooky reverb and the best tremolo ever.