What Guitar do you have 'Too Much' of?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarist232345, Oct 1, 2020.

1. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've been working hard to reduce guitars to 1) those I really enjoy playing and 2) those I play regularly. My next purchases will be much better thought out.

That said, I've ended up with one of several guitars (a single P90 Jr style Hamer XT), a single Les Paul (Epiphone Tribute+ that I'm thinking seriously of selling), a Gretsch G5439T (LP-style body) and a Gretsch G5420T. Both Gretschs have the same pickups (Blacktop Filtertrons), so I'm looking at changing pickups in the G5439T to something else.

My three "duplicates" are Teles, but pretty different:
    Squier CV 50s that I made into an esquire. It's my #1.
    MiM Tele Standard
    G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy semi-hollow, humbucker in the neck

Discovered I'm really not a LP guy, so I think I want to focus on Gretschs and maybe a PRS to cover humbuckers. Love P90s, though I only have the one. I do want an SG...

2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

If it’s wrong to have 3 T-types and no strats or Gibsons, then I guess I’m admittedly and unapologetically wrong.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I now go the way of 'just owning 1' of the Classic, vintage-style electrics or acoustics, just as $$ is always an issue.
    ( plus I buy cheaper, imports)

But still want to keep trying/buying a few more guitars and still stick to my #1 rule:
    "Use whatever you get on gigs; get rid of it if you dont!"

I'd like to get the following up the road:

A P-90 LP Special ( Epi)
    A Tele Thinline ( say Squier '69 RI)
    A Nylon-string w/pickup and cutaway

- but I just got an Epi SG, so that's it for a while

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I don't understand the question... How can one have too many guitars of any type? ;)

5. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I can answer generically and say “electric”, being that I have 6.
    3 different Tele’s, a Strat, an awesome 80’s Washburn, and an LTD slab cut like an LP. I can only play one at a time.

If I HAD to cut back, I would keep the StewMac Tele I assembled, and my old 82 Washburn Falcon, which was GONE for about 35 years, will never leave.

6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Not at all. One G&L asat, one Strat, one Hamer Sunburst custom. I would love to have a Gretsch again, and a 335. Maybe some day. I also have two acoustics, one Rosewood, and one Mahogany.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

The kind with strings.

This is just one wheelbarrow load. There are way more.

[​IMG]

Digital Larry, G-52 and ZenGuitarist like this.
  8. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted

I don't consider it too much because each one is different. But tele number 4 will be here Saturday. There's one with noiseless PUPs ,one with humbuckers, a thinline with a neck mini and one with traditional single coils. Other types of guitar are one each
    Let's not talk abut P-90'S

9. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

I have too many guitars period. So its only natural a few would be of the same model with slightly different features.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My two Telecasters are very different—the pinstriped “Big Tex” that everybody is probably sick of me talking about and a ‘72-reissue Telecaster Deluxe...different pickups, neck profiles, head stocks, body materials...and the Deluxe even has a tummy cut, which makes it feel a bit different, too.
    None of my other electrics are similar in model, pickup configuration, neck profile, etc.

Even my acoustics are all different—2 dreadnoughts, an archtop, a metal-bodied resonator, a nylon string, a 12-string...

The two most similar guitars I own are different as well...a 1986 Fender F250 acoustic and a 1986 Fender F270CE acoustic...the F270CE has a Florentine cutaway and a piezo pickup, the F250 is purely a dreadnought acoustic...

...plus, my daughter has basically taken over the F270CE, so although I have access to it, I will say it’s not mine (so I have an excuse to buy something new, lol)

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I have 23 guitars and basses, but no duplicates of any of the guitars. However, I do have multiple versions of the basses I play live, i.e. 2 Hamer Cruise basses (one active Deluxe, one passive Standard), 1 five-string Hamer Cruise Deluxe, and two Gibson EB-4's, which are duplicates. Backups are important when playing live, so having two of the same bass is an occupational hazard for me.

12. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Four Telecasters, four Stratocasters, a Martin, a Taylor an Epiphone and a Takamine. They're all the same but all very much different!

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I have too many Strats. Currently, I'm gathering parts to build another.

14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

I don't have too much of any guitars.
    Do have two Strats, two Teles and three Gretsch Pro Jets.

15. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I try to be reasonable with my guitars and not overlap too much in terms of type or sound, that being said, I find myself being drawn to humbuckers more and more, and only have one humbucker guitar. My collection is:

- 2 x Teles, Jimmy Page Dragon Sig MIM, 60's Classic MIM
    - 2 x Strats, MIJ 54' ST54 RI, Warmoth SSH Strat
    - 2 x P90 Gibsons: TV Yellow LP Special, 50's Tribute SG
    - 1 x Epiphone LP Gold Top (SD90s)
    - 1 x Squire Esquire

I am realy thinking of selling the JP Sig Tele, Esquire and the TV Yellow LP Special and reinvesting in another LP or 335 (or maybe a Firebird), but tbh I realise I have a huge embarrassment of riches, especially for my level of ability.

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I thought the question was a (trick question)
    and I was going help play along

lol

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have 13 archtops-hollows/semis with f-holes, the jazzbox kind
    And that's not counting tele thinline types

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    MilwMark likes this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Of my seven guitars I have three Telecasters. Two with A111 p/ups and one with ( same brand) A5s.
    When I've finished my LP Jr. Build I'll be changing the Alnico 5 p/ups ( vintage) to a Kent Armstrong in the rear ( sounds like Chris Isaak's guitarists) and a Wilkinson vintage in the neck. It's beautiful white , black pickguard , brass saddle guitar ( 5 screw pickguard) and deserves to sound better.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Never considered more than one guitar of basically the same set-up. I have always gone after adding a different sound to fill the palette. Nowadays, I am basically reducing that palette as I focus in on just a few sounds. I surprisingly walked away from the classic LP tones many years ago and don't miss it, even though I enjoy listening to others play them.

Digital Larry likes this.
  20. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I don't understand the question.... What do you mean too much of? Too many? That doesn't make sense either.

Fiesta Red and Peegoo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.