What guitar did you let get away and wish you still owned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larmo63, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

‘65 SG special.

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I had a great little Art & Lutherie Ami, which I gave to a friend at Christmas, two years ago. This thread reminds me that I need another small-bodied acoustic; couch picking just isn't the same, with a Dread.

3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Both of my USA Hamers....
    '81 Special
    '96 Duotone

I bought the Special in high school and as the Floyd Rose mania kicked into high gear I sold it buy a used '85 Kramer Beretta. Now that I think about it, I'd like to have that Baretta too.
    Of course, I sold the Baretta to buy a black US Kramer Stagemaster to match my other Stagemaster at the time.
    Since I never could afford to own more than two really good electric guitars, I sold the black Stagemaster to buy the the Hamer Duotone......which I sold about 10 yrs ago just before Christmas. Did I mention I have some kids ;)

4. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

'67 Dove and '76 LP Custom

5. drewcp

drewcp Tele-Meister

There are two for me.

Epiphone Del-Rey Cherry Sunburst
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio

The studio was kind of interesting because at some point (early 2000s?) they were a thinner body with chrome covered pickups, trapezoid inlays, and the green-ish keystone style tuners.

Those are the two guitars that helped define the sound of my first band. The blade style OBL knockoff pickups in the Del-Rey were great with heavier distortion and the LP sounded more like an SG, and was killer for clean and mild OD tones.

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

59 Toploader, sold for $850 in mid 70's.

Didn't like at the time but I'm sure I would like it now.....

71 Fender Jazz Bass still a mystery why that one went, guy begged me to sell it and way over paid about 1981. It went as a package deal with the Versatone amp I was gigging at the time. Should absolutely still have both.

Other than that I'd like em all back of course but trades and deals had to be made and I love the 6 electrics I have now. The 2014 Am Std Jazz Bass I have is also very very good.

I've sold or traded ultimately every one of the dozens of Gibson guitars I've owned. Had a perfect ES335 that went in a trade with a jam buddy, it was a 2 for 1 recently....that one might hit the regret list down the line, it was a truly great Gibson and stayed in tune perfectly with the substitute a 16 for a 17 on the G string trick....

Chicago Matt likes this.
  7. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

My first electric in the late '70s was a '68 or '69 wine red Les Paul. I wrecked my car and sold it for $400 to a friend so I could make the repairs. It ended up getting burned up in a house fire years later. I cringe every time I think about it.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Of all the electric guitars I've owned and some of them were pretty pricey, this one I regret letting go the most. It took an absolute FIT OF STUPIDITY to sell it, but I have a lock on that.

guitar 043.JPG

Chicago Matt likes this.
  9. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Ok here's potentially one in progress...

I'm seriously considering trading in my beloved surf green strat:
    [​IMG]

For a shell pink legacy:
    [​IMG]

The reason I'm considering trading it in is because I just don't get along with the neck of the Strat. I have been contemplating keeping it and getting a new neck made. But that could cost up to $400 for all the specs I want. Then I started thinking...Is it worth it? I spent a good amount of money on it already. I really wasn't looking to drop more money on it (besides the new pick guard). That's when I found the pink Legacy.

What do you all think? Go or no?

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

My original ibanez MC 150 and a US made Washburn D46 Cheyenne with a satin finish. The former, i fell out of favor with. The latter was a boomer but with high action and I could fix it now whereas at the time, it wouldn't have made economic sense.

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had an Epi Riveara like this in college (1983). I traded it and some other gear on Tascam Syncassette recording gear. "Cassette" recording gear that was hot at the time. If I knew then what I know now. It hurts to think about it.

[​IMG]

This Les Paul. I bought it used in 1982 when my college band started getting some nice gigs. When the band broke up 3 years later I traded it for a pair of JBL loaded Sonic 4460 PA enclosures for the next band. I'm sure the sonic enclosures are in a land fill now and the Lester is hanging on a wall somewhere.

This guitar.....

[​IMG]

Became a pair of these (fine 1980 technology)……

[​IMG]

I'm crying now. My god; what have I done? :cry:

drf64 and brookdalebill like this.
  12. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Early 80s Kramer Baretta with the hockey stick headstock. Most playable guitar I've owned.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

There’s a few, and I want some of them back for weird reasons...

(1) the first of two 1983 G&L Nighthawks that I owned. That first one was glorious, the second one did not bond with me. Sold #1 for a house payment. Sold #2 because it just didn’t do it for me. I only want the first one back.

(2) 198? G&L SC-2...second electric guitar I ever owned. I was still starting out playing, and didn’t bond tightly with it, so I didn’t miss it too much when I sold it to make a house payment (I got three house payments out of those two G&Ls). I’d like to try it with my older hands and mind, to see if we’d bond better.

(3) 1964 Fender Mustang...I hated that guitar almost immediately after i bought it, due to the mandolin-width neck at the first position and weaker than Barney Fife pickups...I was happy when I sold it to a Japanese dude with tiny hands...but my daughter would love to have it, so I wouldn’t mind having it back to give to her. I think she’d hate the tiny neck fairly quickly, so no great loss.

(4) 2000 Danelectro DV-3 Pro...sold it for a house payment, at a 400% profit, but again, it fits my daughter’s style and aesthetic, so I’d like to have it back to give to her.

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Have you played the pink one? Does it work better for you? After you played it if it went through your brain it will work after these fourteen changes then no.

15. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

I had a Guild cr01 Crossroads Guitar one of only 94 made. I sure wish I never let ‘er go. Stupid. upload_2019-1-11_14-58-21.jpeg

mrz80, Macrogats and brookdalebill like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The relatively few I've let go, I did for good reasons, and generally am fine with them being gone.

The two exceptions are probably the Fender MIJ Bullet strat (my first decent electric) and the Ibanez Destroyer I traded that for.

17. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

My dad and I built a HSS Tele with a solid maple body (flamed cap) back in the early/mid 80s when I was in college... I had to sell it for dire financial reasons a few years later when I lived in Houston... I'd give my left *** to get it back... Not even kidding.
    It was probably a very mediocre build, but it's the fact that we built it together.

18. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

'77 Ibanez 2617

[​IMG]
    God it was heavy but it played effortlessly and the Super 70 pickups were glorious. Longest sustain I've ever experienced .

mrz80 and brookdalebill like this.
  19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

In regards to the posts from those of you who have mentioned it specifically...yes, my next acoustic will be smaller than a dread. I've never let a smaller-bodied acoustic get away though.

I have, however, sold or traded off:

My father's D18 Martin. Mid-1970's model, probably no real prize to anyone but me. Still the only Martin I've ever had, and one of the few things I wanted after he died. No need to lecture; I know the folly of it now.

1998 Collector's Edition Tele. Beautiful two-color sunburst, gold hardware, very warm sound though I have no idea what pickups were in it, and I never cared. Serial #629, if you have it let's talk.

A chambered body spruce top Tele in natural. This was quite a unique guitar, though not much to look at. I bought it because the Hag signature Tele is chambered and I could never afford one of those. The neck was a bit wider than I'm used to, but aside from that it was a monster guitar. Light, resonated like no other electric guitar I have ever played. This guitar played itself to a great degree, because it sounded so good.
    Actually, my second wife took this guitar and sold it without my knowledge. I read later that it was one of a run of about 140 in that color. Every night I still pray that is not the case. o_O

I also sold off my very first Tele, a 1978 USA in Sienna Sunburst. I bought it in '82, but the serial number said 1978.

And my first nice acoustic, a '74 Gibson SJ Deluxe that Dad bought me when he decided I was serious about playing. Ugh.

I'm feeling lightheaded and queasy now, so I'll quit...

20. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

The 74 Tele I had that got stolen would be nice. Not only was it my first guitar, after I'd had it a few years I realized what a great player it was

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.