1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What guitar did Keith Richards use on . . .

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Stratified, Sep 28, 2010.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

The Stones part is VERY interesting, if you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall when they recorded Sympathy For The Devil, there you have it ! But of course, Godard had to add some pretentious nonsense in between the different scenes, thank goodness for fast forward buttons...
    I m almost 100% positive he used the 3 pup Les Paul Custom on that solo.
    I am so looking forward to the release of "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones" on Blu-Ray !!! :D

2. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Good grief with the Godard bashing. I was actually on a Godard kick when I stumbled across this flick back in '03 or '04. I was never a big Stones fan until I saw this movie. True, the Stones footage is spread out among some hyper political symbolism and the reading of a risque novella, but hey, it was the '60s guys! I'm sure some of you remember it. ;)

There was a lot going on at the time, socially, politically, art wise, and film wise (see: New Wave). Not all of the action was happening in the USA, Britain, and Vietnam.

France was coming off a nasty war with Algeria, which is something this movie is citing as well as the May revolt (those French sure do like their revolts, protests, and riots). Godard was trying to make a point about the social change happening around him and the underlying evils of greed (political, business, personal).

Pair a young(ish) politically charged & artsy director with a young(ish) band known for rough & edgy behavior, and a supercharged song with dark overtones (Sympathy for the Devil), and I think this is a perfect match.

The "fly on the wall" aspect cannot be mentioned enough. It is absolutely fantastic. Reminds me of flitting around the studio when I was a child while ragged bands were cutting demos.

3. doster

doster Tele-Afflicted

Saw it in the theater for the one day screening and the sound is much better. I don't thing there was much that could be done with the dark lighting, but it's a wonderful record of a '72 tour performance.

4. WaylonFan76

I was actually born and raised in France ( don't usually like to brag about it, but :eek: ) and I grew up watching interviews of Jean Luc Godard on French TV, and I can tell you he's a laughing stock over there ,pretty much a looney case and usually full of bull... but, I'm not knocking his movies, just saying that when I saw that one, I really wasn't interested in a artsy paean on revolution and art imitating life ... just wanted to see the fn' Stones !!! :p
    I get what you're saying, and I know he's very respected in certain circles. Not knocking auteurs and independant cinema at all, but if you're watching that movie to see the Stones only ( let's face it 99% of people ) you will find the rest a little random and unnecessary ...
    I know all about May 1968, my dad used to go to Paris at that time, it was something ... and yes, French people LOVE to go on strike, organize rallies, etc. I think it comes from the French revolution... it's like the national past time, even before soccer ;)
    Anyway, so looking forward to "Ladies and Gentlemen..." ! I missed the one day only theatre showing ...

5. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

I belive he used a Les Paul Custom.

6. scantron81

Me too! It's #2 on my Christmas list.

7. WaylonFan76

What's #1 ? A new Tele ?

8. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Dude has it coming.

I haven't seen the restored print, but I've seen another version, which was in perfectly fine condition w/surround sound and, well... it's just okay, really. It's great to see good footage of the band from that era, but there are too many closeups and while the band sounds good, but it's not exactly burning up the stage. At the moment, I'm watching a 1995 Stones show in Rio that positively blows it away.

9. fendertastic

fendertastic Tele-Meister

As per the you tube clip: " this film brings together,for the first time, the rolling stones, black power and the voice of Jean luc Godard."

Pfft... what a bunch of hippy or "counter-culture " garbage, it might have been fresh back in the day, but its trite nowadays.

Btw I love the stones and have rock and roll circus on VHS(!) I was talking of the film

10. WaylonFan76

Trite is a nice way to put it... I really think if was already silly when it came out... there's a minority who like and pretend to "get" Godard ( do they really or because they think it makes them sound sophisticated and cool ? ) and the rest who just laugh at him... sorry, but that's the truth... :p
    It's ok, if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have this precious footage and would never have known Keith recorded the bass part live and barefoot ...;)

11. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Godard is also responsible for "One P.M.," which features the Jefferson Airplane doing a surprise performance of "The House at Pooneil Corners" on a NYC rooftop that predates the Beatles' rooftop performance.

12. scantron81

So... the Stones on film! Old footage on DVD nonetheless!
    I picked up the Criterion release of "Gimme Shelter." I long for that guitar tone. I always thought it was the Les Paul and a Vox but Keef was playing the clear Ampeg guitar and Ampeg amps by then. Sooooo dark, heavy, and violent sounding!

13. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I attended the world premiere of Ladies and Gentlemen, back in the 70s. I was living in NYC at the time, and WNEW-FM (progressive, album-oriented-rock; Allison Steele, Scott Muni, Dennis Elsas) had a contest, as in send in a postcard, picked at random. I won two free tickets. Otherwise, it was an invitation only event.

At the time, the Rolling Stones (w/Mick Taylor) were my number 1 favorite. Most of my friends, however, had moved on to jazz guitarists, or to the Grateful Dead, so all my friends enjoyed telling me they had no interest in seeing a Rolling Stones movie. With no date, no friend, the second ticket went unused.:(

At the time, I was into music, not show business; I didn't recognize any stars, but there were professional dancers in costume performing in the aisles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.