1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What guitar did Keith Richards use on . . .

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Stratified, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

. . . the solo for the original studio recording of Sympathy for the Devil? I don't recall which album it was first released on, but it was included in the Hot Rocks double greatest hits album.

It starts out with little guitar, mostly piano and bass (maracas IIRC), then that wild and strange solo.

Besides what guitar was used (tele? I think Keith was using a pretty wide range of different guitars during that period), anyone know how he gets that unusual tone? Like nothing I've heard from him before or since.

2. joelstrummer

joelstrummer Tele-Meister

I don't know for sure but my guess would be the black Les Paul Custom that he used regularly around that time. There is footage of the Stones in the studio recording Sympathy- the Jean Luc Goddard (sp?) film.

3. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I dunno...while performing this song on the "Rock and Roll Circus" film I recall him using a black Les Paul. Possibly a Black Beauty with 3 pickups...not sure.

Of course, that doesn't mean that's what he was using in the studio for that track...

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I would guess his black,3 pickup Les Paul custom.In the 1968 movie 'rock n roll circus',he uses that guitar for that song and it sounds very much like the studio version.He has that bright tone that I think is being created with a treble boost pedal(???).

5. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't remember what my source is, but I'm fairly certain that someone who knows wrote that Keith used the black Les Paul Custom through an AC30 with the treble turned all the way up and the bass turned all the way down. That's not a treble booster, just the most extreme setting on an AC30.

6. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with the guys - I've always believed it's the black LP Custom. Back in the days everyone "knew" that.;) And definitely the bridge pickup.

7. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Hi winstonterr and welcome!
    You post belongs in a different thread, no harm done, but you won't get replies to your question on a thread about Keith. Place it in the proper area and you will. What you did is called derailing a thread and is not encouraged here.
    (just practicing my future modding skills):D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a feeling that derailing the thread was the least of his intentions somehow!

9. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks for the replies. Seems the Les Paul custom is a clear consensus.

Sounds like a primitive attempt to get a more tele like tone from a Gibson?

10. Telemarkman

If he'd wanted that, he would've used a Tele ... ;)

11. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Find Goddard's "Sympathy For the Devil." I consider it a must for Stones fans. It was my first Stones movie.
    Keef uses the Black LP custom with three pickups into one of those old front faced Vox halfstacks. He also played bass on the song.

12. scantron81

[​IMG]

13. scantron81

[​IMG]

14. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Yeah probably his Les Paul Custom into a Vox, did he use a treble booster, I don't know.

15. Telemarkman

I knew he played bass on some of the album. He also played almost all of the guitars - Brian only played slide (besides sitar, tamboura, mellotron and harmonica).

I haven't seen the film, but it was "common knowledge" at the time that he used his LP Custom. As time goes by;) some of the old wisdom is lost I guess ... On this forum we'd like to believe "everything" was done on a Tele, even several Hendrix songs - and he didn't even like the Tele:oops: ...

16. scantron81

17. Telemarkman

18. TeleGlider

TeleGlider Tele-Meister

19. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

It was made by director Jean-Luc Godard, which is generally a giant red flag.

On an encouraging note, Jagger has said that Godard caught the band on a particularly productive night during which "Sympathy for the Devil" evolves quickly from a simple folk song to the version heard on "Beggars Banquet." But, once again, it is Godard, and even a productive night in the studio can be like watching paint dry slowly for a non-participant.

20. Telemarkman

That's certainly the case with a lot of his films, but far from all ... Hope this is better than some of the reviews indicate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.