What guitar company surprised you the most

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jared macneill, Sep 23, 2019.

1. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

another vote for Reverend. I think it's my new number 1

gitold and uriah1 like this.
  2. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

Line 6 James Tyler Variax (Korean): I frequently play worship and other gigs that require acoustic and electric with switching on the fly and the Variax seemed like something worth checking into. I bought a used older version just to test the waters before laying down $$ for the more expensive Tyler model. While the Tyler Variax (JT69) wasn't cheap, the added features from the newer technology appealed to me and I thought it would be worth it. I really didn't know anything about James Tyler guitars other than what I read in reviews as a result of researching the Variax. I found a better than average deal on line and pulled the trigger. I was blown away with the quality and play-ability of the instrument and have told other curious guitar players asking about it at gigs that I would buy a James Tyler guitar based on my experience with the Variax. I barely had to do anything at all in the way of setup adjustment when I got it. It just played perfect right out of the box. The fretwork and finish were amazing, extremely comfortable and balanced. And the thing will NOT go out of tune. I can put it in the case and take it out a week later and it's still in tune. I also figured I would be replacing the stock pickups. Nope, the Tyler spec pickups sound as good as anything I could want to replace them with and are very well balanced for HSS config.

Fender pawn shop prizes: I have a couple (strat and tele) of which I purchased for $200 each. the strat was in like new condition and was a CIJ metallic red 60's reissue. still had some bits of plastic overlay around the screws on the pickguard. didn't even plug it in. played it unplugged for a couple minutes and had a receipt for it a minute later. got it home and plugged it in and no output. pulled the jack and one of the wires was just hanging loose. over the next few months it got a complete overhaul with Virtual vintage pups and eventually i had the neck refretted with stainless 6115 wire and had added compound radius. this was the guitar i played out most of the time for more than 10 years instead of risking my cherished '65 L series in clubs (owned since '78). The tele is the one pictured in my avatar. When I found this one in a pawn shop I knew I was leaving with it. It had the markings of a CIJ 60's reissue but was in pretty rough shape. It was metallic red and appeared that the previous owner tried to make it look like Muddy's. They did so using model car paint but it was so ugly that it actually looked cool. The pickups were crap and there were some pretty good size dings all about it but none where it counted (neck, etc.). got it home and was showing it to my wife, plugged into the super, played for awhile and when i put it down i noticed the model car paint had left the guitar and transferred to my white t-shirt! thought about trying to clear-coat it or something but instead I decided to just take the paint off and do a re-fin. used some naphtha and to my surprise the original finish is the butterscotch you see in the pic and since it was poly the naphtha didn't seem to do anything beyond the model car paint. while the neck was good, i just couldn't get along with the 7.25 radius and low skinny frets. i ended up selling the neck for way more than i paid for the guitar, replacing it with a Warmoth 59 roundback (6115 stainless) and wiring it up with Virtual Tele in the bridge and HS-3 neck and Jerry Donahue switching, brass compensated saddles and Hipshot B-bender/D-tuner. i replaced the white single-ply guard with a 3-ply celluloid tortoise one. upon completion our oldest daughter looked at it and said about the pickguard "it looks like chili". this guitar is effectionately named Chili-dog.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

Samick look.

[​IMG]

hemingway likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson
    I know they had their QC issues but I have had two beautiful Montana acoustics. A J185 and my current Southern Jumbo SE. Both are not only visually stunning but they are both incredibly tuneful and expertly made.
    IMG_1684.JPG

gitold, jimash, moosie and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jared macneill

Jared macneill TDPRI Member

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Reverend

That Cal Webway, gitold and uriah1 like this.
  7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

The latest Gretsches, 2014 and later, clear across the line. It seems that since Fender intered the picture, the brand got a serious makeover. If you aren't looking at these, you are selling yourself short.
    (On the other hand, forget what I said. I'm still in the market.)

JL_LI likes this.
  8. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

1) PRS SE

Still kicking myself for letting the Korina SE-One go, but the remaining SE Seth Meyers is possibly the easiest guitar to play I've ever picked up.

2) Agile

Was not expecting much from what was then a $250 LP copy, but they're very well built and even though I upgraded the pickups and pots, it definitely wasn't necessary to sound good.

3) Washburn USA / Custom Shop

The guitars they built while Grover Jackson was running the show were very, very good and can be found for less than half the cost of an equivalent Fender or Gibson.

Also echo the Pathfinder 15R praise, perfect small jam grab and go amp.

Nubs likes this.
  9. teletina

teletina Tele-Meister

Harley Benton, from thomann, bought a couple of it, bang for a buck .

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

+ 1 I find these all over the place; yard sales, flea markets, rummage sales & thrift stores, when I had my shop they were most of my inventory. The "Silvertone" Strat's from Samick's budget line, Lyon by Washburn, Johnson Telecasters ( many have a "proper" three saddle bridge)...Davison sold killer LP's that were close as sunshine to Epiphones and were $199 direct, sold 5 or 6 before they dissapeard. .

11. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

Hamer

uriah1 likes this.
  12. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I'm glad to hear this, especially since I ordered a new Streamliner 2522 today. Looking forward to getting it!

13. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Both Dean and Jackson guitars. My metal shredding buddies played them exclusively back in the 80's and 90's and I ignored them. Recently purchased both brands and have been amazed at what I've been missing!

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

crate vintage club 50.

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Both ends of the spectrum......

National quality is even better than expected.
    estralita harlemslim.jpg

16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Danelectros….look like toys, play and sound great! Would you have parted with £100 for this?

IMG_20171006_164500638_HDR.jpg

thunderbyrd and Skydog1010 like this.
  17. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

G&L
    Heritage
    Taylor

That Cal Webway likes this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Another + Reverend

Maybe DAngelico New Yorker, but, never played a real one
    just like the headstock ..lol

gitold likes this.
  19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Guild.

Went shopping for a Gretsch. Came home with a Guild. A plain Jane in the looks department. But it sounds like no other guitar I've ever owned.

20. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

What guitar company surprised you the most ?

Harley-Benton - I have 3 of them :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once modded, they play and sound flawlessly.

-tbln

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.