1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What got you into Telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

Congratulations on twenty years of sobriety. It's almost been 1 year since my last drink.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice, congratulations!
    And welcome to TDPRI!

There's a really old thread here that pops up now and then, been going for seven years and over 1000 posts.

The mods here generally prefer zombie threads not be resurrected, so to speak, but graciously allow this one to keep going whenever someone drops in to report some success or near miss with death etc etc. It borders on banned topics, but as long as we keep it clean it can be a good thing since so many musicians end up with substance abuse problems they can't fix on their own, or die trying.

Maybe post on your anniversary to inspire others...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/is-anybody-else-in-recovery-or-clean-and-sober.263559/

As I recall, at the one year mark things were still pretty raw...

3. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Albert Collins, Muddy waters, Roy Buchanan, Tab Benoit.

Waylon, Buck Owens and...

There are just some things a Strat just can't do

Chicago Matt, Fiesta Red and twr102 like this.
  4. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. henrikrock

henrikrock TDPRI Member

Rock n roll

6. rsfanforever

rsfanforever TDPRI Member

Keith Richards! Keef!! Gotta love him, he’s Awesome!

7. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Greg Koch.

8. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Back when I was 7 or 8 in the mid sixties my mother and I would take the train about 3 days a week every summer to Coney Island in the mid sixties. Spend the whole day there.
    I remember like it was yesterday being on the boardwalk a bar with a huge open window facing the boardwalk.

A guy that looks very similar to my avatar would be performing in there.

I was amazed.

Demon Dave and telemnemonics like this.
  9. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I was in between Telecasters when I saw PJ Harvey smashing out some attitude on This Is Love. So I did the decent thing and got another.

baiff and Clifton C like this.
  10. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Roy Buchanan without reservation.

11. Boonie

Boonie TDPRI Member

I bought one.
    I once thought that a Tele was an ugly upgrade from a homemade "cigar box" guitar. Have been playing since I was 12 and I'm now 58. Three years ago I thought, OK maybe I should purchase a Tele and find out what all the fuss is about. At first, I would play it for a few minutes and put it away and went back to my SG and PRS. Then one day, it happened. I could not get enough of that clean, unforgiving tone. A lot of this had to do with the fact I began playing without the help of any pedals straight into the amp. IMO none of the other guitars I own can do clean like my Tele. So, for last couple of years my Tele gets way more attention. Of note; I still love my pedals. The Tele with chorus and a little delay is quite heavenly.

Chicago Matt and Demon Dave like this.
  12. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Played bass in a little bar band for a few years between marriages. The guitar player played a '60 blonde white pickguard tele. I just learned to love the sound. I bought a '74 with a non original Boogie body. It was (is) a nice guitar, but I just couldn't find time or motivation to learn to play.

Fast forward to about three months ago. I decided to pull the old tele out of moth balls and play with it, assuming it would be like every other time, I'd play a few chords and a couple of tunes I knew. I'd get frustrated and put it away for another undetermined amount of time.

But this time it stuck. Suddenly, at 55 years old I enjoyed the sounds I was getting out of the neglected old girl. I got it out the next day, and then the next. My band, where I'd played mandolin and fiddle for 30 years seemed to embrace my new endeavor. So I'm still playing and learning new stuff every day and having great fun at the same time.

I was even able to buy the same '60 blonde that my buddy had played back in the bar band days. It's pretty sweet. Played it out with my band at a small gig at a small local cafe tonight. Everyone seemed to enjoy the music. I'm excited to start this next chapter. Oh, and I can't stop looking at teles on line. It's a sickness, and I have it bad. Just need one more..........right?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don’t know why it took me so long... I think I finally built my Telecaster in 2014/15. I should have really gotten one decades earlier though. I mean Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, Chrissy Hynde, Andy summers, Steve Mariot... Steve fricken Mariot for crying out loud played a Telecaster. I think Eric Clapton played one in Blind Faith too. Anyway, I finally got it figured out and have one. It’s not so much a twanger, it’s a rocker.

EDIT: What made me finally go for a Tele was playing in a jam band with a rotating cast of musicians. One of the guys played a Strat into some sort of Fender tube rig with a couple of pedals. I was paying my AS100 (semi hollow humbuckers) into my Cyber Twin which I gotta say sounds amazing. I just got hooked on the sound of single coils of this guys strat. I had had a Strat before and didn’t want to go there so I got turned on to Telecasters and then just had to have one. Funny thing is, I turn up to the jam session with my Telecaster and the Strat guy shows up with an SG. Even funnier, one of the other guys shows up with a Telecaster. Nobody gave anyone else the heads up. It just happened.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Chicago Matt likes this.
  14. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Buck Owens

Ben-Zion likes this.
  15. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

buck owens, and don rich.

Kodiak likes this.
  16. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

You know, I don't exactly remember. I mean, there are so many great Tele players. All I know is at some point I knew I needed that twang. I used to be a Strat guy. But then I bought my first Tele and I never looked back!:)

Clifton C likes this.
  17. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I was wanting to learn to play and some guy in the neighborhood was selling his because he had just gotten a Les Paul. I really didnt know much about guitars but I did know that it was a Fender and that people seemed to like them. So I got it

18. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The classic Tele "sound" wasn't so much the draw for me, I just got tired of how my Les Pauls felt (too heavy, too unbalanced, not-so-comfy sitting on my lap). I wanted to keep playing those Gibson Classic '57 pickups - but in a more comfortable, user-friendly platform.

So... I bought a Fender Tele Blacktop HH, with contoured back, and popped in some Gibson Classic '57s and premium electronics. WONDERFUL result! Very comfortable to play. I LOVE the neck. And the Gibson Classic '57s sound even a little better to me in the Fender platform (longer scale).

This Blacktop was my first MIM Fender, as well. And really opened my eyes to how nice the Fender MIMs are! Fantastic.

[​IMG]

And since buying this Blacktop HH, many more Teles have followed in the footsteps of my Blacktop HH.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    wblynch and Skamania like this.
  19. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Joe Strummer, Joe "King" Carrasco, and Andy Summers. I must say I play more like Joe Strummer than Andy!

Chicago Matt likes this.
  20. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Probably a combination of musicians. Townshend, Page, Barrett, Prince, and so on. I wanted a workhorse guitar that I could get some twang out of, and especially loved the middle position of the standard Tele configuration.

I don't really play rockabilly anymore, but was heavily influenced by that stuff when I was in my 20s in the mid 90s - - a lot of that kind of twang comes through in my playing still. I wanted a 52 Tele for a long time, but could never afford one, then I happened upon the Classic Vibe 50s tele and found that aesthetically, sound wise, and playability it was just what I'd been looking for. I've since become a fan of the Custom, which is now my 'baby'. Still have the CV50s, of course. Gotta have a traditional sounding Tele on hand!

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Chicago Matt and Clifton C like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.