What gives Skynyrd tone but isn't a Mace?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bluessoldier, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

Hey y'all!

I'm searching for an amp that would give me the classic live Lynyrd Skynyrd tone. I would have no use for a 150 watt Peavey Mace. Just thinking if there's something up to 50 watts that can get that tone. (I'm talking about Rossington's tone, not the jangly Sweet Home Alabama tone)

I hope you guys could help me cause I think the Mace is based of something Fender, and you guys know the most about F amps.

2. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Isn't that part of the old SS preamp, tube power amp lineup? Just about anything from that era, I'd suspect. A Deuce, Classic VT, etc.

3. Bluessoldier

Is there anything being produced now that goes into that territory?

4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

This is the very one you are looking for. Peavey VT Classic, two channels at 50 watts. I played this in an outlaw country band all through the 80's. I'm told it's the amp Skynyrd used for recording many of their songs. I recently upgraded this one with two "Eminence Texas Heats" and GT GE 6L6 tubes. Did wonders for it. It's a solid state pre with tube power section. Frankly the SS preamp on these are a bit dated but the amp has a preamp in and if you plug something like a Roland Cube into it the results will astound you. Plug strait into the amp and you've got cleans to rival a Twin. They can be had on EBAY very reasonable.

[​IMG]

5. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

6. Jack Knife

My first amp was a Classic like that, only slightly older. Had the plain gray control panel. Prototypical Skynrd tones literally fell out of that amp.

Like this one...

[​IMG]

7. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey Mace, Peavey Mace VT, Peavey Heritage VTX, Peavey VT Classic, Classic 30, or 50 Series (formerly called Vintage Series)
    driven hard!

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Way I see it the guitar is more important than the amp. Trademark Skynyrd as far as I'm concerned is a Strat with a five position switch in the tween position. Bridge / middle with the volume rolled off a touch will get you there.

I figure Skynyrd and Allmans are in the same Southern Rock category. Allmans were getting their tone from Marshalls. A Strat with a five position and a 50 watt half stack gives you all of it, Skynyrd, Allmans...

Last time I saw Dickie he plugged a '65 Strat into his old Marshalls. He sounded like Robin' freakin' Trower! Then he plugged in one of his Custom Shop replica "Dickie's Red Guitar" LPs. He played, "Rambing Man", got on the bus and hit the road.

9. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I might be wrong but I heard Skynyrd used a lot of Marshalls in the studio, too.

But if you can find an old Duece, it'll give you the tones you want.

Justin

10. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

In an Atlanta,Ga. club, back in the 70's, before they were known; they played Marshall amps. I was in a band and played at the same place together. Les Paul's and Marshall amps. The Stratocaster was Ed King, he joined later on.

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Peavey Mace was mostly used by Gary Rossington.

12. Bluessoldier

Thanks for the replies!

So I have an opportunity to pick up an Classic 50 VT for 240$ in my country. The seller says it is in very good condition with original parts but the phaser doesn't work for some reason.

Heres some pics of it - could you guys tell me if it looks stock? Like the speakers and other stuff?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

A buddy of mine played in a band where they did a lot of Skynard. He used a Peavey Classic 50 and a Strat w/ humbuckers. Sounded dead on.

14. Jack Knife

Has that switch been changed? Looks a little different than the typical switch I remember on old Peaveys. The scratch next to it could mean it's been worked on due to taking a hit or something. I'd ask about it.

15. Bluessoldier

Are the speakers original? Scorpions or whatever they're called?

Also, the guy said it has el34s in it. Isn't this a 6L6 amp? :confused:

16. Jack Knife

Those aren't Scorpion speakers, the Scorpions have a heavy cast frame. Could be original though. I believe Scorpions were optional equipment.

This should be a 6L6 amp, but you can sub an EL34 in place of a 6L6. The sockets need to be wired to allow it though. It might not bias properly either.

I suspect this amp isn't as "original" as the seller claims.

17. Bluessoldier

I heard that el34s do work in an 6l6 amp but it works too 'cold' and can fry the amp. Is this true?

18. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

The sockets must be rewired, the amp must be rebiased, and the heater winding
    on the power transformer must be able to provide an additional 1/2 amp of current
    to each el34. If all these conditions are met, then the el34s will work in a 6l6 amp.

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I tossed the old speakers in mine when I installed the "Texas Heats". They were totally shot. But from what I remember those look exactly like the originals with the square magnets and green writing. I never was able to get a name on the originals but they were not Scorpions.

If you look at the first picture of the back of the amp it looks like it has a set of mismatched tubes. In the picture right below that there appears to be what looks suspiciously like the ends of a set of "Yellow Jacket" tube converters probably (YJSHORTS). Are you sure that the seller has changed over to EL34's. I'm thinking it may be more likely that he has changed over from 6L6's to EL84's using tube converters like in the link below. You might want to reverify with him in the off chance that he meant to say 84 instead of 34. I get the names of those two tubes mixed up all the time.

Also the VT Classic is a fixed bias amp. If he's using yellow jackets then all you have to do is yank those and plug in a good set of 6L6's and you're good to go. No biasing required.

Even better that's about $100 worth of tube converters so good on you if they come with the amp.

http://thetubestore.com/th-yjshort.html

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  20. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Original or not, as long as it plays it should be worth 240.00. If I had a chance at that amp at that price I'd jump on it.

Justin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.