What Gives a Twin Reverb Its Sound?

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
My personal take is after lugging there's a substantial 'dang well better be worth it' confirmation bias. I mean it is a sweet amp. But .. confirmation bias is a function of weight ^2 * cost ^3

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Except when your outdoors. I tilt my Super Reverb for the very reason you stated, but on an outdoor gig, with no ceiling, or mic on the amp, you're the only one who can hear you. I was ATOMIC BOMB loud, but people kept asking me to turn up. Just an FYI.

This is exactly way I run my amp through a a Torpedo CAM M now. No mic, just CAB M straight into the PA. It sounds so much better. I can hear me, and everyone else can here me. I'm using my BF Bassman clone, with an Eminence Maverick dialed all the way back, but a a good PR or DR type amp could do the job too.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
There’s a doghouse in the amp? That has to be for a very tiny dog and i can’t imagine it makes the amp sound any better.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Afflicted
The Twin Reverb was a good amp for distortion. It was a Fender amp that was way ahead of its time.

I believe that a lot of blues players got their tones through Twin Reverbs, namely Peter Green, Bob Welch and Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac (though they also used Marshall, Orange and Fender Dual Showmans in association with their Twin Reverb.)