1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What gets you going more - new amp or new guitar or new pedal?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by grolan1, Mar 13, 2019.

What strikes your eye current.... or should I say what are you always on the hunt for?

1. Guitar (new)

17 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. Guitar (used/old)

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Amp (new)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Amp (used/old)

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. Stomp box

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  6. Other - or not going to buy anything

15 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    For the longest period of time I had a few guitars but always had GAS for a new/different amp, or should I say new old amp. I thinned out my amp collection and down to only 4, that in itself is hard for me to believe. It seems the GAS for guitar has take it's place and I've picked up 7-8 guitars in the past two years.

Seems to me it might be an ebb and flow kind of deal as I might shift again to amps.

So what's your current poison?

2. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

Always a new guitar, but it has to be very different from the ones i own, I like the way a guitar sounds according to the woods and construction, for me, getting a new sound is the main thing when it comes to buying a new guitar.

3. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

I guess all of the above but most recent acquisition that got me ultra stoked was a barely used Randy Rhoads Super Lead I found a deal on online. I have a great harem of 3 killer Fenders (80s Japanese strat, vintage jazzmaster and a 2006 US Tele) so I'm usually not coveting a guitar that seriously. Have cut back on pedal purchasing since I got my live rig solidified.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Before the internet was in everyone's pocket, guitars could be had cheap.

Amps move easier, long as you dont have someone who's understanding of economics is highest current ebay listing =worth.

Also, Amps of the larger persuasion tend to be unwanted, and if someone really needs to stop getting griped at about it, can leave thier possession for half of what a patient seller would get.

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Pedals are easier to afford, amps are more effective, but guitars are sexier.

That said, you never know what you might find.

Deathray likes this.
  6. Sol1

Sol1 TDPRI Member

Practice.

I haven't hunted for one for years.

So now, instead of new wah, I hunt for a new lick or chord. Saves me money and frustration, what's not to like here :)

Shuster and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

New socks are my current favourite thing. So soft. So comfy.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

1. Learning new songs.
    2. New guitars.

I love playing with gear in general but it all starts with a guitar (for me).

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

more practice is the thing. When I'm practicing a lot, every guitar I play (mainly the one's I own) seem so much better.

Shuster, Lake Placid Blue and JL_LI like this.
  10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Mine is a new song or song pack in Rocksmith.

For example this is this week's song pack, Night Ranger. I ready to get crackin'!

11. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I restrained myself from buying new stuff.....money problems sort of fueled my attempt to explore the possibilities of my currant equipment instead of buying new gear....

Lake Placid Blue and fenderchamp like this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'd say the thing I look for the most is time to play, if that's applicable . The aforementioned amp thing is where my acquisition efforts sit, but with the "goal" being to turn a find into something I actually want. Its easier to remain detached and barter a used strat and a 40w blackheart than a 90s tele and an ac10; I dont need a strat or a 40w blackheart, if I dont get the right price to flip em, I can pass. With a good tele at a good price, even one I don't "need" , theres a level of regret if I pass it up-
    Maybe i woulda liked it, maybe it was better than i judged and coulda went for more... messy. Good thing i seldom find these things when i have money.

13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

New until the honeymoon is over … then new .

Deathray likes this.
  14. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

yes ...

2 ALL of them - new gear is exciting!!

Shuster and tery like this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Guitars definitely, because that doesn't happen as often as pedals, and amps don't particularly excite me. I have one that I like, and that's about it.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I love a used guitar that turns out to be better than expected and that came in for a good price.

Shuster and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I buy pedals like candy compared to guitars or amps. I did buy an amp (Roland Cube Street) a month ago, but I traded stuff to offset the cost of it. I haven't actually used that amp much yet, it's for travel and/or playing with my instructor. It is to replace a THR that is cranky.

Pedals are usually disappointing... it's like I'm having to learn the hard way. But I am getting closer.. fewer pedals in my rig that work better. Stuff that works well enough I can start to envision the day I can turn stuff on and off during a song and everything works.

I did but a Tube Screamer recently, and I didn't really pay much for it, and that thing is really satisfying. It is definitely "the one" I was looking for in terms of drive/boost. Dumb because I got to one of the oldest/most popular drive pedals in a roundabout way.

I love both of my guitars (I have a Tele and a modest Taylor) and my Orange amp.. don't really have any GAS at all to replace either.

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I just want more time to play—
    whether it be practice, jams, recording or live.

I got plenty of great guitars, the perfect-for-me amp, and a killer pedalboard. In fact, I need to get rid of some of my stuff.

Deathray and Steve 78 like this.
  19. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

I went with other, just because it's really more like all of the above. It kind of goes in stages for me. I'll get a new guitar, and that'll placate the guitar bug for a while. Eventually, it'll manifest as a pedal bug, and then once I've gotten a few of those, it'll turn into an amp bug.

20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm just about at the point where I'm pretty much done looking for anything. Most of the cheap guitars have been sold off, I've got my choice of 7 or 8 amps that all work pretty well (and 3 or 4 that don't), and I use a modeling board so I don't even bother looking at pedals.

Once I get a guitar built in my birth year, I can say I'm done looking. I've got everything I need, unless the Deal of the Century comes along.

But to answer your poll - guitars. I'm always looking at guitars, whether I intend to buy them or not.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.