What Genius came up with Daylight Saving Time??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh common man, have you looked outside at the flowers? Over 70 countries and a billion people are on daylight savings time. It's a little known fact that the SUN flower would now have gone extinct if it were not for their efforts. Now, the Sunflower is used in industry for making paints and cosmetics. Not to mention the hoards of golfers who throw a handful of them in their mouths and spit the hulls out all over the golf greens. The roasted seeds also make a coffee type drink. In countries where they grow sunflowers the seed cake that is left after the oil is extracted is given to livestock as food. The SUN flowers depend on that extra hour of sunshine for their very existence. It's all made possible thanks to the EXTRA hour of sunshine that was removed from the front of the day, and added onto the end of it.

This message was brought to you by the Council for the United Sunflower Association for your elucidation in understanding the urgent need for the EXTA sunshine provided by the world wide adherence to the use of DAY light saving time.

d barham likes this.
  2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Years ago - and I think up until about 10-15 years ago, SOME of Indiana observed DST, most counties didn't I think...

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I like DST.

I even like the "change" just for the way it shakes things up. It disabuses people of the illusion of a World in Control.

People whose lives are so regimented that they cannot cope with random time changes, are never going to make the transition to a World with no Predictable Weather.
    Upheaval is what we're in for now, whether we like it or not.

4. Toto'sDad

Don't worry, when the lights go out on old TD, the world won't be a figment of his imagination anymore, and POOOOOOF! :lol::lol::lol:

P Thought likes this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I hate the beginning of DST because I lose an hour of sleep. I like the end of DST because I get it back. Other than that, I haven't noticed much difference.

6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have to respectfully disagree. Surfing was much better back when no surfers had real jobs that required them to be somewhere at 8 am.

If there's surf, work can wait 'til later. I never had a ''real job'' just for this reason.

Everything started going downhill once we lost our outlaw/outcast/renegade/bum status. Nowadays it's ridiculous, the poseurs on their Wavestorms outnumber surfers 100 to one.

trev333 and tery like this.
  7. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

Yeah, lets rise up and overthrow the axial rotation of the Earth, which causes the Sun to rise and set. It's not like it's a natural phenomenon or anything, it's just there to oppress us.

tery likes this.
  8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I enjoy living by natural light as much as is practical .
    When it gets light it begins a new day and the birds sing .
    When the sun sets it gives life a sense of completed harmony .

dkmw and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Every day I set my watch to a random time and spend the day according to it. That's just how self actualized I am.

sean79, RLee77, Bristlehound and 2 others like this.
  10. tery

… Actually the original quote used the words "white man" … not "fool" .:D:lol::lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tery likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I tried that and it didn't take an hour before they reached me by phone.

13. Toto'sDad

The last time I felt like that, Patti Page was singing Mocking Bird Hill on all the radio stations.

tery likes this.
  14. tery

. . .she still is

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I know you’re smart enough that this is a well worded joke. Daylight is increased only by proximity of how the sun hits our planet by seasonal changes in how our rotational axis receives its portion of light from the sun. And while over 70 countries and millions of people are on daylight savings time, our crops and animals live on a natural time line of the sun is coming up, now the sun is up, now the sun is high in the sky oh now the sun is setting and now it’s night , rinse and repeat

stevemc, tery and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Have I not warned the forum (many times) that most of the stuff I post is pure babble and not intended for serous consumption? :D

Owenmoney likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I had just returned to live with my mom in a sleepy little town in Central California after my stint on the road with my old man. Months of hopping freights, sleeping in hobo jungles, hitchhiking, going hungry, and bumming around were over. I remember walking from our place to a little store that sold gimcracks with a shiny new quarter my mom gave me to spend. I could hear Patti's voice wafting in the morning air all along the way from the radios coming through the open windows of the small houses. I was eight years old, and it really, really was a different world.

dkmw and tery like this.
  18. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Strangely enough, this reached my inbox today...

The tyranny of clock changing for daylight saving needs to end

Quite a lot of US history of DST in the article, which finishes...

"My best guess after working with legislators around the country for five years is that if California and New York vote to make the shift permanent in 2020, effective after we spring forward in 2021, the rest of the country and perhaps Europe will follow. If that happens, you can tell everyone that you read about it here first!"

tery likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That reason explains how the US successfully adopted the metric system. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bristlehound likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Here in California we are feeling the effects of the extra hour of sun big time. The huge solar power plant located near Lancaster California already the butt of much discussion pro and con, along with the loss of two of its towers found itself overwhelmed by the extra hour of sunlight drenching its already overloaded storage units. People in nearby Lancaster and Palmdale have been advised to recharge the batteries in their Prius and other hybrid automobiles as quickly as possible to help offload some of the overload. Those having electrical powered treadmills have been advised to add an additional mile to their strenuous workout regimen.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.