What gear you used when you started playing are you STILL using and how did you get there?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It is often said that when you're a teenager, and impressionable, you tend to find stuff you like and stick with it forever.
    DSC02175.JPG These two Korean made plywood monsters are my own direct link back to my very first band and live shows. The Strat I bought in 1991 and has remained with me ever since. The tele is one of the very same make, model and color as the one I used to own before buying the strat, it's an analog, not the actual one but bought purely out of sentimental reasons.

So yeah, the Strat I always stuck with and keep coming back to. But that isn't the only gear I've used since my formative years and which I stuck to.

Now one thing I always had going for me playing wise is that I'm rock solid at playing rhythm and that I'm pretty hard at strumming (although I also can play very delicately if the song needs it) so I'm pretty hard on my strings and plectrums. Back then I used what I could afford which was:
    [​IMG]
    Fender Dynamaxx and Fender Super bullets were the cheapest sets I could buy but they dulled up pretty quickly and they got a very nasty black oxidation going, which tore up my fingertips. So I was reading through my guitar mags to find out what my heroes were playing and one brand always came back: D'Addario. So one fine day I went to the shop and bought myself a set.
    [​IMG]
    They were a revelation, they didn't rust, kept their sparkle so much longer but I wasn't finished yet.
    [​IMG]
    I can't recall how I ended up with THESE but once I had them, it all just clicked. These strings are MY sound.

My journey to find the perfect plectrum also went with what I could afford.
    [​IMG]
    Well, not the thin ones, I used Fender Heavy ones but always in these two colors since they were easy to spot if I dropped them. But they wore away in my hand, sometimes even snapping in two.

So after telling my local music shop about that, they advised me to switch to THESE.
    [​IMG]
    Which basically was a step too far, true, those were VERY unlikely to snap but they were too big for me. and so I tried some different thicknesses until I ended up with these:
    [​IMG]
    But while the Delrin 1.14 felt better, I still had them wearing away like crazy. I don't know exactly where I read it but it was an interview with Eric Clapton where he talked about using plectrums which would wear away and that it changed once he changed to playing Dunlop Tortex plectrums, which made me go "If it's good enough for Clapton..."
    [​IMG]
    25 years later, I'm STILL using these, I found my plectrum.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I started playing in 83-84 on a dreadnought acoustic.
    Nothing remains from back then other than my favourite acoustics are dreadnoughts.

Acoustic and electric strings, picks, brands have all changed since my first examples of that gear. My first amp was my parents hifi I somehow bodged a cable into before blowing a speaker. First tuner was a pitch fork.

3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I used a cheap peavey guitar into a solid state peavey amp. The amp caught on fire during a band practice and the guitar I smashed and rebuilt probably ten times as an angry teenager.

Picks I've always used hercos but now I use Eric Johnson jazz 3s. I still use hercos and ghs boomer strings. Never used pedals until I got on the harmony central in the early 2000s.

stevemc and stormsedge like this.
  4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Nothing. Everything has developed and changed. I still prefer 25 1/2 scale electrics but that's about all that's remained constant.

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a strap that has been with me since I started in 1980.

stevemc likes this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's been a fairly constant state of evolution for me. One thing that I have noticed is that at some point I found myself using less distortion, but that has more to do with expanding musical tastes than anything else.

If anybody would have told the 15 year old long-haired metal head me that I would one day own Fender amps and Telecasters I would have laughed at them.

Telecaster88, stevemc, Sneaks and 5 others like this.
  7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I still have my original finger and thumb picks I started banjo with in 1978. I bought a backup set 30 yrs ago, never used them.

8. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nothing remains but I would love to play and hear that gear now to see what my reaction would be. As a teen, it would be one of those Mexican black logo strats from 97 and a Fender Roc Pro. When I really started playing years later, a Vox AD30 and a Epiphone 1960 Anniversary V3.

stevemc likes this.
  9. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My first guitar was a cheapo Japanese pos . This was 1968 , and the Japanese make great stuff now . I sold it within a year and got a used Esquire . My first amp was a Silvertone 1482 , I thought it was so uncool . I still have it and now I think much differently ! Still have the '57 Esquire too .

stevemc and Electric Warrior like this.
  10. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Also have my first stompbox here somewhere , a Crown fuzz pedal .

nocastermike likes this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I still have a Vox wah I bought back in about 1970. I like it better than any others I've tried.

stevemc likes this.
  12. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

Amp Wise I still own the first amps I ever got. These were all bought between mid 1988 and 1990.

Box 50w (Crate ripoff)
    [​IMG]

Marshall JMP 2201 Lead 30 (I was lucky enough to have Jim Marshall sign it in 2004) This was my main practice amp and dressing room warm up amp for most of the last 32 years.
    [​IMG]

Marshall JMP 2199 Master Lead Combo (Like the JMP 2201 above this still serves me well for smaller pub gigs)
    [​IMG]

Marshall 2099 100 watt Bass Head
    [​IMG]
    (For my 17th birthday my mom bought me this. I had mentioned I needed a more powerful amp and she got me this) the salesman had run rings round her and she thought she'd got a amp like slash's. I didn't have the heart to tell her it needed a cab and dragged it to gigs with the band (sometimes the pub would have a spare cab that I could use) then a few years ago I got a 2x12 cab hat I could use with it and it replaced the JMP 2199 as a main amp until the cab got stolen. It's now paired up with a Marshall 1965b 4x10 cab and is mostly used for blues shows

Blazer, stevemc, Fiesta Red and 3 others like this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

all I had when I started trying to play in 1973 was junk. I don't have one single item from those days, not even a strap. I do not miss any of that trash.

the oldest thing I have is a brass slide I bought in the '80s.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’ve played D’Addario strings since I was 15. I’ve loved Telecasters and Fender tube amps since the same age.

My teachers used these tools in the 70’s and In my mid 50’s I still respect the tools and my old teachers.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

My noggin. It just keeps working, following
    me around, no matter how I try to give it the slip...

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Lots of relicing but they still work...

20190902_094055.jpg

17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

I started (guitar) with classical/flamenco. My first (owned) guitar...
    Garcia_kindlephoto-29437917.jpg

I still have my first trumpet mouthpiece, though that trumpet was a dozen iterations back...to 1963.

Forgot the how...

Music...from birth.
    Father was a scientist who used music as a relaxation tool...usually with me on his lap. Of his four children I was the only one who followed. Piano in late first grade, trumpet in third...

Then one Sunday night The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan show and that was that. I continued with classical training, keys and then cello, and classical guitar shortly after. Then for Christmas 1967 a Fender Mustang and Vibro Champ altered my studies.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    stevemc, Fiesta Red and dented like this.
  18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I got nothing left from when I started. I started on a classical guitar that was recently sold. My first and second electrics are LOONG gone. My first and second amps are long gone, and the third one hasn’t come down from the attic in 15 years.

I still use D’Addario strings, but switched from 110 to 140 (light top heavy bottom) years ago.

Actually, now that I think of it, I still have my first stompbox, an Arion flanger, because nobody would buy it lol, but it’s just sitting in a box somewhere, hasn’t been played for 25 years.

stevemc likes this.
  19. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

My Grandfather's '52 Deluxe, and my first "real guitar", an '82 Bullet S-3 (modded a bit, obviously). My Grandpa loaned me the amp to start playing on, and the Bullet I bought with my own money from my first job.

ampengitresize.jpg

I have had others, but I've never let these two go.
    I tried typing up an account of the day I showed my Grandpa that Bullet, but some moisture got in the way and I couldn't see the screen anymore. We'll save that story for another day, shall we? :(

Skydog1010, Flaneur, stevemc and 9 others like this.
  20. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually when I was 16 I had a Yamaha FG-75 which is long gone and then I stopped playing for 35 years. I bought a Martin HD28 which I have also passed on. So, I don’t have anything but I do have some nice stuff now. Examples below . 7FBEE348-CD91-4790-A115-C2B98CCD5043.jpeg 98FE91DE-0B51-431E-954B-C6A558BB03B9.jpeg 16A16622-B22F-4688-85D0-3910F0C36EEA.jpeg

stevemc and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.