What gear will hold value?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tornado, May 12, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Lots of folks brag about the great deal they got when they bought their latest guitar love, it's different story when they go to sell, they don't talk much about that.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's pretty simple really, when you buy new, there's a profit margin built into the price, when you walk out the door with it, it's worth the price, minus the profit. (for a very short while) After that, it's mostly downhill from there.

bparnell57 and Jlwctn like this.
  3. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe a cunetto Nocaster?

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Especially by his "bro" Leon :rolleyes:

Matthias likes this.
  5. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I have yet to buy something with the intention of ever selling it. The things I have sold, I have almost always lost money on, but the trade or sale was going towards something better that I wanted, so I didn't really mind. I haven't ever felt like I have been "screwed over" because I only got 50-60% of what I originally paid for a guitar or bass. It's really just the name of the game.

6. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Then I wonder when it comes to the main musical food groups, do the copies made in America only well when selling or do also the cheaper models made outside America well when selling.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Rephrase what you just said.

You lost me.

8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I mostly buy used and quality items so I don't buy the built in depreciation. While the old name brands that we all know and love will hold value and somewhat appreciate it may not always be the case. The real high end will always be in demand but will my kids pay the really high prices that you see today for 70's era guitars?
    The next generation does not have the love for old things that most of us do and you don't see as many collectors of stuff (IMHO).

Jwalker99 likes this.
  9. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Gibson, Fender, Marshall

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

No one knows................

11. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Probably the stuff that the millennial guitar players lust for but can't afford. In 20-30 years, they'll be established and have expendable income, so they'll be buying those guitars.

What are the millenials into? I don't really know.

Doesn't necessarily have to be stuff that is new right now, just whatever they want but have to settle for something less. Could be that today's millennials are into vintage Jazzmasters and that in a few decades they'll command the same cost or even higher price of vintage Teles and Strats.

Works this way with cars, too.

12. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Well from the main American brands there is expensive stuff made in America and also cheaper stuff that is made in other countries. So I wonder if the cheaper stuff made in other countries will hold value as much as the expensive premium stuff.

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

the confusion (and I was equally confused) arises from the phrase in your previous post: "well when selling"; I think you've clarified to a degree. This is not offered as criticism, my understanding of dutch is extremely limited; you are doing quite well in English.

Some people say that a rising tide lifts all boats. Meaning in particular markets, all prices go up in a rising market. For your example, there is not always a clear logic driving the market. In the vintage market, there were special instruments that a number of people recognized as having desirable qualities. When a larger number of people see what is going on, that starts driving prices up. Then the mob mentality starts to spread. "Good 'Vintage' stuff is good, therefore all 'vintage' stuff must be at least somewhat good or close enough.

Value is a relative term; price is more absolute at the moment money and goods are exchanged, but not necessarily otherwise. Price should not be confused with value. I value my guitars because I like the way they sound and play. Your opinion might be quite different - regardless as to nation of origin of equipment. "Expensive American" doesn't guarantee equal value per unit of currency. How much extra should you pay for a extravagantly quilted "ten top" PRS? I don't know the answer for you.

cheaper stuff doesn't have as far to fall.

No easy answers.

If a person wanted some assurance of "value", one would spend more time learning about all the various models out there, in detail. Since I have limited time resource, I prefer to spend that time playing. If I lose $50 on a guitar transaction, I will not lose any sleep. I got at least that amount of enjoyment.

The other saying is that many people know the price of an object without understanding its true value.

People say a lot of scheissestuff, ja?

Lance Morgan and Tornado like this.
  14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Gear with Brazilian Rosewood

bparnell57 likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well........... Auto Tune devices and Beats machines of course.

teletimetx likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Bullets

17. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Buy used and pass the depreciation on to the seller? In my case I had a fascination with oddball cheap Japanese department store guitars for as long as I can remember, must have 20 of them. Seems the trend today is what I may have paid $10/$20 bucks for at a flea market or garage sale back in the day can sell for hundreds of dollars. In other words sometimes its just a crap shoot or twist of fate.

18. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I buy used stuff, and I'm limited to cheaper stuff as well. These categories hold their limited value pretty well. I can sell the $50 Squier standard strat for at least $50 any time. I paid $185 for my CV50s MIC Tele, and I could probably get more than that.

Not really the same discussion I guess, but it does seem to work out that way.

If I could buy a really nice Ron Kirn Tele, or a hand-wired tube amp, or a Kemper I would, and I'd never think twice about a future value. The value to me right now is the only value that matters.

Tornado likes this.
  19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I just don't see any of the low-med quality US or Import stuff holding any value what so ever.

I think even the US made $1k guitars will struggle to hold their value, and may just barely keep up with inflation, even after 15-20:yrs.

20. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I usually only buy used and don't buy stuff at a price I won't be able to break even or profit from.
    In other words I buy a good deal if it's something I'm interested in.
    that's amps, pedals, and guitars....

I'm not a really a gear flipper, I just like good deals.

To answer the question, gear that will hold its value is stuff that has quality and a good brand name.

Lance Morgan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.