What gear was popular when you were young?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cowie86, Mar 31, 2020.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Late 70s :
    Lab Series Amps
    Solid State with a Master Volume !!!

Flying V Cort Guitars...
    Man,
    Good times back then.

You could go to the Music Store and buy matching guitars and amps for your band ... Take them home ...
    And make payments on them!

Jlwctn and brookdalebill like this.
  2. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

My brother (7 years older) had a Sears acoustic that he never really played, so in the summer of 1976 (between 6th and 7th grade for me) I took a guitar class at a summer recreation program. We learned some basic stuff and I really enjoyed it. For Christmas that year my parents bought me a Westminster copy of a Martin 000 and I started taking real guitar lessons at Dugan’s Music. Dugan’s was a small music store, mostly pianos, organs, band instruments, but they did have some cheaper guitars hanging on the back wall and one glass-enclosed room with the nicer acoustic and electric guitars, basses and amps. I remember every week when I would go to my lesson I would stand there and stare through the glass at the High end guitars... go in the bathroom you have a have a salesman with you. I remember Gretsch, Gibson and Fender guitars, and I wanted one of each! I fell in love with guitars from the very beginning. It wasn’t too long before I got my first electric from my neighbor who played drums, It was a Zenon, similar to a Teisco. There was this band that used to place ads in the newspaper every week for instruments and I bought a solid-state amplifier from him. The things that I could afford back man with a cheaper Japanese copies of fenders and Gibson, these were made by Ibanez, Electra, Hondo and others. I also used to hit up pawnshops as well as all the music stores in the area and want to time I was getting out of high school I already own more than a dozen guitars, mostly these Japanese brands, but I owned more than any other kid that I knew. After a couple of years of college I’m going to work for Charvel Jackson, but that only lasted for a little more than a year, but I kept buying guitars and I still haven’t stopped.

Martian and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Suburban East SF Bay. I remember a couple of guys at my high school had Ibanez Destroyers. I thought they were so cool. I also remember guys with Randall 2 x 12"s. And people sold little Fender Champs and Vibro Champs for $10 at garage sales. I remember when my friend bought one and we all laughed 'cause he'd bought such a cheap piece of crap. He's still got it now, and of course it's worth a bunch.

[​IMG]

4. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

We were kind of indie rock so we used older gear in the late 80s / early 90s. I was the bass player in a band and used a Jazz bass and Music Man Amp/Box Combo. Our Guitar player had a silverface twin (very common and cheap used back then), tube screamer (ts10!) and a shiny black Rickenbacker. These kind of gear was pretty common in this indie rock scene. Well, the Rickenbacker was more special then the rest. Ibanez and Aria guitars were omniscient as far as I remember. I had an Ibanez AS50, great guitar!
    As a teen I played in a stones tribute band – self made partscaster (was stolen twice) and a peavey classic (not the later tweed amp but more like a music man copy – solid state preamp and tube power amp). I think peaveys were everywhere in the 80s as well as marshalls.

5. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

pacifiers, rattles, diapers etc.

6. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

$80 was a lot of money for a kid to spend on a beat up old amp in the 1980s. My high school friend paid about twice that for an early 70s Super Reverb and plays it to this day.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

superbe.JPG

Everyone dreamt about having a vox super-beetle..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Jlwctn likes this.
  8. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

You reminded me of just how amazing pawn shops were back then when it came to guitars. But re: that store, a salesman would follow you into the bathroom?

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra TDPRI Member

China White, bellbottoms, and big muffs (NOT the pedal).

DrPepper likes this.
  10. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Playing since '64....Fender Twin and Gretsch guitar. That was it.

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

3.73 limited slip

DrPepper likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dietz

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

4:11 posi

Scooter91 likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That was the stuff!
    It was everywhere in Central Texas.
    Manufacturing was done in the back of the Austin Ray Hennig’s Heart Of Texas Music.
    JD Bennet (real first name Dietz, can’t recall his very German last name, started with a G) designed the boxes and crossovers.
    I believe he partnered with the late, great Richard Mullin.
    I worked for H.O.T. in 85-86.
    That stuff all had ELectro-Voice EV series speakers, and either 11 or 13 ply birch cabinets.
    Can you say heavy?
    I knew you could.
    They made 3-15 “coffin” cabinets, and other monstrosities.
    Happy days, for me!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  15. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

Too many posts to catch up all the way :) but in the late 90s I was 16 and me and my buddies started playing guitar.

The thing that sticks out in my mind as something which looking back was a PoC but at the time we all coveted was a zoom multi-fx pedal. My mate had far better gear than the rest of us could afford. Mexican strat, 80w peavy "trans-tube" and that zoom pedal, all brand-new.

In retrospect the pedal and the amp were awful.I scraped together enough money for a used BJ and a used blues driver, still use them both.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  16. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

In the 60s, we all wanted a Jaguar or Jazzmaster, Strat,Mosrite or Rickenbacker. Pauls & SGs didn't become popular till the early 70s. You couldn't GIVE a Telecaster away; we thought they were ugly. The best poor man's guitar was a Hagstrom.
    For amps, the bigger the better. Dual Showmans,Bandmasters,Sunn, West,Bruce,Kustom,Marshall, Hi-Watt,Sound City,Ampeg. PA was always a Shure Vocalmaster.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Mosrite guitars, Ampeg and Kustom Amps.

Gibson acoustics were big. In fact, people rarely talked about Martin when I was a kid. Martins became a thing in my late teens, early 20s.

18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

During late 60s, the whole band played through Garnet amps, the BTO was the loudest thing I've ever heard! Then there was the infamous Herzog -- Gar's creation that still eclipses every OD/distortion unit out there.
    h_zog_01s.jpg

Jlwctn and brookdalebill like this.
  19. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

1991 - I was about 13 years old.

Marshall Valvestate
    MIM Strats introduced
    SRV Strat
    Clapton Strat
    Gibson Les Paul like Slash.

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

There weren't all that many options for the average player back in the early 60s. Mostly Fender amps, Gibson, Fender and Gretsch guitars for the well healed and for the rest of us poor kids it was Silvertone or the cheap Japanese stuff from companies that hadn't quite hit their stride yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.