What gear was popular when you were young?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cowie86, Mar 31, 2020.

1. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

1960 fuzz face. big.jpg

2. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I was in high school 2002-2006. I remember most guys trying to get cheap Les Paul variants (myself included.) Green Day and Blink-182 type music ruled the school. Lots of Epiphones. As we got jobs, most guys ended up with the Gibson LP Studio in that satin maroon finish.

I turned to Fenders in my junior year when my guitar playing buddy decided we should write Tom Petty type music. (Turns out, harder than it sounds.) When I got a Nocaster my senior year, everyone thought maybe I robbed a bank. It was the coolest thing anyone had ever seen in our little world. That was, until they all got cars and girlfriends.

3. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Les Pauls, Marshalls, and big hair.

I never had any of the above.

Tornado and brookdalebill like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]1965 Guild Starfire IV.

[​IMG] Gretsch White Falcon

We mostly understood that Fender basses and Fender amps were wise choices, but we were blinded by these huge, flashy, high end guitars. A solid body 6 string was something you settled for. If you really aimed high, a hollow body electric, perhaps a twelve string, was proof you had arrived and belonged on the bandstand. These were the guitar equivalents of a brand new Cadillac convertible.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Jlwctn, Tonetele, Bob M and 2 others like this.
  5. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Shure and Bogen! Yes! My band's first P.A. was a Bogen head and a pair of Bogen horns (talk about the ice-pick effect!); we were so proud when we later moved up to a Shure Vocalmaster!

noname_dragon likes this.
  6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Strats, LPs and 335s, Marshall Stacks. The country guys added Twins and Teles to the mix.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

Junior High School 1963 - 1966
    High School 1967 - 1969
    Rich kids and talented middle class kids got Fenders, Jazzmasters and Strats; amps were Fender Deluxe Reverbs, Bandmasters, and BF Bassmans with a P-bass or an Ampeg B-15 - if you had money. For the rest of us, we ended up with Japanese POS guitars (or, if we were lucky, a used Hagstrom) and basses and crappy tube amps. Solid state amps were new, unreliable, and sounded like poop.

But we got paid $50 - $100 per person playing “Off to Vietnam” parties. That got us some decent used stuff.

PA was one or two mics into a line mixer, then to a guitar amp. Getting a “lead singer” to buy a mic kinda never happened. Sorta like today.

8. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

When I bought my SG in 1968 I also considered a Gold Top Les Paul. It was the first LP I had ever seen and was $25 more than the SG.
    I thought the LP was too heavy and came home with the SG.

Mark

Stratospheric and cowie86 like this.
  9. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

And that, if I'm not mistaken, is a Schecter Malmsteen. Only made for one year, and that was the year before Yngwie got his Fender deal and signature model. I know all this because I bought one new. Actually, I made a terrible trade. But in my defense, I was a teenager in the 80s. It wasn't the only stupid thing I did.

I still have blasted thing. It wasn't well built. The nut was too tall, the neck joint creaked, and the tremelo was terrible. Oh, and it weighs more than a Les Paul. I reworked it ages ago. Had a cabinet guy make a block to fill in the hole left by the huge tremelo so I could mount a Fender 6-screw piece. Then I had to shim the neck because it's thicker at the base than a Fender. Guess I'll have to put it on a belt sander one of these days. The translucent butterscotch finish made me nauseous, so I had a car restorer buddy refinish it in blue from a 1960 Dodge truck. Had him paint the headstock too, as it said "YNGWIE" in big jagged font. The pickups never grew on me so I replaced them with a set of Fender Noiseless. Here's how it has looked for the past 20 years:

My Pictures0026.jpg

I've met Yngwie several times over the years, even had him sign a first-gen Fender YJM I used to have. But I've never shown him this guitar. Don't know if he'd say I improved it or ruined the resale value. Kinda did both, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I still hate the thing but the neck is really good, and so are the tuners, so I may eventually put that on a lighter, more resonant body. With some of the new Seymour Duncan YJM pickups. Sticking with that blue though, I like that.

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Slip Kid and cowie86 like this.
  10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The guys that I worked in the music store with in the 80’s were thrilled to see people trading in those old fashioned black face Fenders and no master Marshalls... We all had pretty much the same taste in gear and would literally draw straws over some of it. There wasn’t a rack system back then worth it’s salt. We all had strats but did 90% our gigs with the extremely versatile Electra/Westone H/S/H guitars.
    I think they look hideous now but didn’t back then. I still like as many useable sounds as I can get on one guitar as long as I don’t have to think about how to use it while I play. We were also a Laney dealer and they made a 50watt no master head that I would love find. True gem of an amp. They were extremely unpopular back then with metal being what it was.
    Quadraverbs, Midiverbs, Eventides, Lexicons...

11. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Pointy guitars, Peavey and Crate amps, half and even full stack amps. People noticed the young guy with a 52 ri tele and "small" Fender DRRI. Now that sight is so normal that it's become bland and the DRRI isn't so small, which is what I thought all along. People don't stop me in grocery stores anymore saying, "Hey, you're that tele guy!"

12. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Back in th late 70's when I started out, here in the UK much of the equipment was British, I dont remember seeing many fender amps and if I did they were expensive. I used and liked very much, HH equipment and it was very popular.
    As we moved forward in ti e I changed to fender amps, but a couple of years ago bought a Laney cub head and matching cab, which to my surprise contained two HH speakers, Laney having bought up the brand.
    I like the sound of Laney, reminds me greatly of the early days

13. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't know how popular this stuff was, but it was what I had: Gretsch Rally Guitar, Fender Solid State Super Reverb, Vox Cry Baby and I don't remember what kind of fuzz pedal I had. Later I got an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 when I had a Les Paul and a Gibson LP12 amp somebody sold me. I remember it had two heads preampand power amp and 4 12s.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

No...I took the pic!
    That's Jeff Beck standing on the right.

whole tone and darkwaters like this.
  15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ampwise, HH, Laney, Carlsboro, Vox and Marshall. The Roland JC120 was an aspirational object.
    Guitarwise, there were some dreadful plywoods, some not bad plywoods, EKO and either Hofner or Hohner filling the lower rungs. Matsumoku manufactured Aria, Westone and Vox were the business. The up and coming NWOBHM bands relied on them.
    Fender basses, with Ricks for the wealthy.
    The Telecaster wasn't popular, but the Strat was. An SG was drool worthy. A Les Paul less so. The Yamaha SG2000 was considered one of the best on the market.

Fender amps and Gibson basses just didn't feature. The early 80's were interesting times in grime infested Northern England.

16. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

84. Popular gear then was generally large and heavy.

17. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I just wanted a guitar that had an action lower than ¼". I finally achieved nirvana in 1972...

18. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Always wanted Fender so in 64 got a homemade all but unplayable PBass thing, so bad it couldn't be called a copy.

65 or 66 got an L Series PBass, then a series 2 VI in 69, Damn l miss those two.

Traded the VI for a 74 Tele Deluxe so bad it should have been used for firewood, swapped it for a 60 double bound sunburst Tele, another I miss badly.

Amp wise, home built AC30 clone, Bar is 60W, Lenard 150W ( double stack ), went country and downsized to Dan Armstrong 30W combo which was quickly replaced by a Dan Armstrong 100W head with a 1x18 JBL.

The Danno was too fragile to gig every night for years on end and was replaced by an HH 1C100-S in 76 which I still have, the Marshall slant box is long gone though.

Like everyone else on here I have 1 too few guitars, something I am for ever working on, the only one I lust after now is a CS Tuff Dog but have built a partscaster tribute to Merle so that will do, still need a hollow body to round out the herd

19. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

The gear I gig with now was all pretty much available in 1982, so I'm using what I always have. I was into Fender guitars and small amps back then too.
    I remember my first gig using a champ 2 and finally getting to crank it up.

20. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I still wear tee shirts that I bought in the early 80s. Good material ! The oldest (unwearable now, sadly) is from 73.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.