1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Gauge Strings Are on Your Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Sep 16, 2019.

What gauge strings are on your Telecaster?

1. Set of 09's

70 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Set of 10's

161 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. Hybrid (part 9 set and part 10)

24 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Set of 11's

47 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

I like GHS 9.5-44 nickel steel for Teles. I’d use a straight 10-46 set, but I occasionally get hand pain and thought I’d like to keep playing, so I changed. I do really like the tone and just a half gauge difference allows easier bending. They do sound different, but I would not say worse. FYI all my Teles are blackguard style.

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use 10-46 on my Tele's

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently bought a new vintera 60's tele and it came with 9-42. and i'm staying with them. my strats get 9-46. I feel like i'm fighting the guitar less and producing more musical guitar noises. definitely playing faster.

4. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

La Bella Jazz Flats 12s

5. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

My AVRI Tele and ‘96 Anderson Hollow T both play like butter with 10-46. In fact, the Anderson got me to change from 9’s to 10s on all my guitars, way back in ‘97.

6. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Put a set of BFG Dunlop 008's on a few of my guitars and they're killer. Way better than I expected.

7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I have 11-48 on both my Teles but I have the American Special with the 9.5” radius tuned to E and the Road Worn 50s with its 7.25” radius tuned down a semi-tone to Eb for more comfortable tension.

I think the action on my Road Worn Tele was a little higher so tuning it down made it easier to play AND the guitar rings beautifully in Eb.

I play mainly finger style and don’t dig in hard so my action is nice and low with no buzzing.

It’s so funny that anyone cares about this at all. If I told this to my family they would have me sedated.

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

12-54 wound G

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve got those cool ones that twist your neck.

10. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently put a set of "8's" on one of my Tele's (a classic Vibe) and I love it. I'm playing mostly country these days, wouldn't chose 8's for blues. I seem to bee gravitating towards that guitar more than others. So easy to play I can't put it down.

11. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Billy gibbons uses 7 s
    upload_2019-9-19_9-38-42.jpeg

tombm3 and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Omar from ST

Omar from ST TDPRI Member

101437000000000-00-500x500.jpg

13. Stratwrangler

Although they do come in most gauges he uses 7 s on most of his guitars apparently, im going to try a set of his 8s this weekend so will let everyone know what there like.

14. Stratwrangler

@Tele Sevalas are they good strings im getting some this weekend

15. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Always used to use 9’s or 10’s but after playing bass in a friends band for a couple of years I started putting 11’s on all my guitars.

Everything just started to feel, play and sound better to me. Now a guitar with 10’s feels like a toy to me. I think using anything lighter actually hampers my playing quite a bit.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I just removed the NYXL 10’s last night and replaced them with EXP-115’s, 11-49 nickel plated coated strings that I got from a contact at Dadarrio to try. So far, so good. I made a truss rod adjustment. I didn’t touch the saddles. The sound I get is a little richer and slightly warmer. I played the bridge with a pick and finger style neck and combines and was impressed that the B string was a little less strident. Jazz with combined pickups and a pick sounded great. The feel was a little different but I could easily bend a half tone. I didn’t see see any difference in my final action from 10’s. I never liked Elixir coated strings. I found them lifeless but the EXP’s are anything but. I’ll see how it goes over a few weeks. I have another set and if I still like them, my SG needs restringing. There is a difference in feel with 11’s. One fast jazz passage will require adjustment. I didn’t notice a difference in country other than that I was pushing notes sharp less frequently. My only long term concern is my arthritis in my left index finger but barre chords were mostly OK but had a somewhat different feel. I can’t say whether I prefer 10’s or 11’s yet but I see no reason to take these strings off.

17. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

10´s Elixir optiweb. My perfect solution between sound and playability.

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

11's on everything except 13's Flatwounds on The Jazz Box tuned DOWN a full step with 13's.

19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'm mostly happy with the stock 9s. I've tried 10s a couple times.. it didn't go well, but I also definitely had trouble getting the setup nailed down with 10-46. I should probably try it again.

I'm real curious for the people who use much larger than normal strings, how much bending do you do? I don't have a fixed style, this is a hobby for me, and I'm taking lessons, so I never really know what's going to come up.

If I was doing 99% rhythm strumming especially with lots of big open chords I think I would indeed want to use larger strings. When I'm strumming like that with a bunch of people I have a tendency to over fret. I think the bigger strings would be better if my fingers were sweaty as well.

But like right now I've been trying to learn a solo that requires a double stop 1/2-step bend with fingers 3-4 followed by a double stop with finger 1. I have 12s on my acoustic guitar and I can't imagine pulling off a bend like that with the 12s, and my acoustic guitar is 24 7/8" scale vs the Tele's 25 1/2" scale.

Some of these other ideas like 10-38, I'd be interested to try that. Same thing if someone made a 10-42 set that just scaled up strings 1-2-3 or something. I can totally see how people are not crazy about a high E string that is a 7/8/9... it's like there is almost nothing there and it really requires a light touch, and it can have a pretty searing sound.

I am not real convinced/worried about tone differences with strings.. I'd consider it more feel. If 9s are thinner than 10s there are a lot of ways to adjust for that with turning the amp up, fiddling with the tone knob, etc.. and anyone who is listening is going to forget the difference after about 30 seconds.

20. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

D'addario nickel wound 10-46s

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.