What Gauge Strings Are on Your Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Sep 16, 2019.

What gauge strings are on your Telecaster?

1. Set of 09's

64 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Set of 10's

144 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. Hybrid (part 9 set and part 10)

24 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Set of 11's

44 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

10 - 46 gauge Elixir Nanoweb strings on all my gigging guitars at the moment. I sweat a bit, and the coating helps me get at least a month out of them. I think they suit my playing style well. :)

2. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

.11-.58 tuned down half step on my new #1 style partscaster.........010,.013.017p,.038,.048,.060w reg pitch on all the other electrics

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+1000

Lighter strings don't sound "thinner" or "worse".
    They sound DIFFERENT.
    I was also a victim of the "the heavier the better" ,at some point I played 12s, until I lost all the TWANG in my teles.
    And what's a tele without twang?
    A lost cause :)

4. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

10’s at present, have a set of Ernie 10.5’s going on tomorrow night. Hope I like em. I love the sound of my guitar with 11’s, I’m just lazy......

5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

9-42’s on everything for me, except my John Lennon Ric which out of respect must have a set of 11’s.

gwjensen likes this.
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Reading through this thread, I was a little surprised at how many go heavier than 10s. The poll shows a more than 3:1 margin of 10s over 11s, and according to the poll 10s are preferred more than 2.5 times more than 9s. And yet there seem to be a lot of those chiming in here that prefer 11s or even heavier (12s didn't even get a mention in the poll). I was also a little surprised at how many prefer hybrids.

Oh well, not any controversy about that AFAIC. Makes me no never mind what gauge someone else plays, even if I don't personally relate to it. I could maybe get used to 11s. I have a tele style acoustic/electric that I use phosphor bronze 11s on. The feel of the neck and playability is very tele like, so yeah, maybe I could adjust to 11s on my tele electrics. But I don't think I'd do well with 12s or higher. And I once tried 9s on an Ibanez superstrat I used to have, but they felt like I was playing rubber bands.

So I use 10s. Yeah, I know...boring. I'm extraordinarily average in that way. :twisted: To me, that gives me enough string tension and snap. Just the right amount of resistance from the combination of gauge, action and scale length. And this brand, this specific set are what I have used almost 100% exclusively on my teles since I got my first one 11 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Revelation likes this.
  7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I was using hybrids til I broke a string. I replaced the high E with a 10 and all was right with the world. So the next tele got 10s and it felt so much better. Think I will be sticking with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revelation likes this.
  8. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

10-46

Revelation likes this.
  9. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

Ernie Ball Primo Slinky, 9.5-44 or the 9 - 46 set. I hate 10's on solid electrics, though I use them on my acoustics and flat 10's on my jazz boxes. I play with a light touch, I play fast, and I bend a lot; been using 9's for 90% of my playing since about '75.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  10. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

9's baby. I have a slight bit of arthritis in my hands and I like the ease of playing with 9's. They bend nice, and they still sound good to me. I've been getting into Elixirs lately after getting an acoustic guitar with them already installed and realized they still sounded good after about 5 years without changing them. (I'm lazy about changing my acoustic strings).

gwjensen and jim777 like this.
  11. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

I use a hybrid of 10s and 11s. Basically 11s on the treble strings and 10s on the bass end. Keeps the higher strings full and the bass strings twangy

12. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Regular Ernie Ball Slinkys, .10-.46.

Revelation likes this.
  13. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 TDPRI Member

Good thread. I just put 10s on mine. I do a lot of bends, unison bends and pedal steel licks. I usually have 9s on strats and I was worried about bending but it seems fine so far and there’s a bit more presence now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

10's on my main tele, flatwound 12's on the slide Tele

15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I use these on my Tele, Strat, SG, LP and 339. I like the sound, feel and still individually packed. Win all the way around

P02223.png

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I use nickelwound 10-46 on my electrics. Just the most ' middle of the road' ( like the big variety of music I play) in terms of hand comfort/ playability and strong/even tone

On Strat and Dano I use D'Addario XL's ( After many years of Ernie Ball Slinkys- they are just a little brighter)

BUT on my Tele- not sure why I like the feel ( bending) and twang of Fender's Nickelwound ( I think 250's?) better.

I have a MIM Tele's whose PU's could stand a little wake up and these help.

gwjensen likes this.
  17. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-18 um 14.27.53.png

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

for me it all depends, and I'm open to experiment

most of my tele's have 11's, one of which has flatwounds

the one I'm experimenting with is a toploader: it has 10's now (Mangans) and is bendy/snappy, but I'm going to try EB Extra Slinkys with a 24, i.e. Albert Lee's old setup

this tele has small vintage frets, so smaller gauge strings suit it fine -- if they were taller, it'd be easier to push light strings out of tune just by fretting pressure

19. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

My partscaster (open G/slide) has 11s on it but the high E has been replaced with a 14 (B string from a set of 10s).

My work in progress Squier/Hot Rod project has 11s

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  20. BuddyDog

BuddyDog TDPRI Member

When I ordered my tele, I had 9's put on it and they seem fine. My other electrics have 10's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.