1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Fuzz Tone Is This?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mimirr, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Trying to buy a fuzz pedal that sounds like this. I recorded some noodling with the Helix Native plugin on my computer and their "Thrifter Fuzz" (a Line 6 original - not based on anything) is the sound that hit what I'm looking for. I was playing my Telecaster bridge pup for most of this and the neck pup for just the high soloing stuff. Too bad it wasn't a fuzz based on a real pedal.

So, what fuzz pedal could match this?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

It's either a Boss FZ-5 in fuzzface mode, or an MXR Superbadass Variac Fuzz pedal.

tamer_of_banthas and Mimirr like this.
  3. kcarlos

kcarlos TDPRI Member

Sounds good. Reminds me somewhat of parts of this demo.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Very flatulent ... i like it ...

Fretting out, monkeybanana and Mimirr like this.
  5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a B:Assmaster.

rangercaster likes this.
  6. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Not enough thickness. Also, sounds kinda hollowed out and more "spitty" than my sound clip.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like a Foxx Tone Machine in non-octave mode, to me:

So, you could get a clone of it, like the Dano French Toast, and get basically the same non-octave mode fuzz tones:

...or probably any FTM clone, in non-octave mode:

Almost forgot - Joyo makes their variation on it, and it includes a mid-cut setting:

...and although the Roland Bee Baa has a bunch of different sounds (e.g. jump forward to ~4:46 or so), I think you could dial it in to get a similar sound, or you could choose the Maxon Fire clone of it:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Mimirr and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  8. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Kinda close, but too much treble. Even with messing with the hi-cut knob. Not as rounded in the bottom-end.

kcarlos likes this.
  9. 11 Gauge

Does that include the fuzz being fed into any kind of amp sim? How about cab sim? Mic?

I have a feeling that some or all of the clips for potentially similar sounding pedals are probably at least going to have some kind of amp that the fuzz is going into, and at least be limited to the mic on a smartphone. So 'bottom not round enough,' or 'sounds too thin,' etc. are all going to be approximations, and you're going to get EQ effects via the room, the specific speaker, and the bottom end will be at least partly determined by the amp, and how it's set.

Also, along with whatever tone controls any given fuzz has built in, I'd imagine that you could probably heavily manipulate the EQ with the appropriate software, too. As long as the base harmonic content is there, combined with the right amount of fuzz gating/'misbias', you could probably make any number of real fuzzes sound like that plugin fuzz.

...I've got a multiband parametric EQ plugin within Audacity - not sure if I had to get it 3rd party or not, but it was free. If there's something where I'm insisting on radical EQ reshaping (if for whatever reason it wouldn't make sense to re-record that track with the EQ tweaked better), I've been able to pull it off that way.

AngelStrummer and Mimirr like this.
  10. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

The Foxx Tone Machine seems a bit too smooth to me. It has the low end though, but missing some of that source impedance (?) that gives it just a little "spit". But I don't want a lot, though. Also, my clip seems to have more wider square wave

Upon multiple listens to my sound clip. I'm thinking it's almost a cross between some type of EH Muff and a Univox Super Fuzz. Does such a pedal exist?

11. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

It was a '65 Twin Reverb amp sim that is very similar to the clean channel on my EVH 5150 III 50 watt head. The cab impulse response was my Zilla oversized 1x12 cab (more the size of a vertical 2x12) with SM57 and R121. No post processing or EQ. Amp set clean and knobs at noon.

12. 11 Gauge

You're hearing it amplified through an actual amp, with a recording using an actual mic. You would probably also want to consider the speaker in the amp, and maybe even the room that it's all being played in.

I'd bet that if you could hear just the FTM 'straight in' that it wouldn't sound nearly as smooth.

13. 11 Gauge

It's still probably going to be apples vs. oranges, with any given video, vs. your specific rig. Amp/speakers/cabinet/volume of amp/room that amp is in/mics/placement of mics - there will be potentially massive differences vs. what you're using.

It may not be appealing, but I'd still recommend going with a fuzz that gets you in the ballpark, and tweak it with other software stuff from there.

...Or at least play around with different amp/cab/speaker/mic combinations.

I'd think that would be much more do-able/feasible/practical, because the specific fuzz used by the plugin is basically a black box in this instance.

14. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a physical pedal that I can just jam with on my rig. If you say that a Foxx Tone Machine circuit gets me the closest, then I'll look into buying one of those.

You didn't steer me wrong in my last thread when you recommended a Rat (even after I said that I hated them in the past). Got the Iron Horse and couldn't be happier.

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like one of those expensive pedals Jack White was pimping a few years ago

16. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

You happen to have a link or picture?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

You could try a wilson effects knuckle dragger, a very tweakable superfuzz clone.

18. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

19. 11 Gauge

Oh, okay. Now I understand.

Yeah, it's going to require guesswork, since the plugin fuzz is basically a black box. Even if we knew that it was something like a Big Muff, there's so many different variations of those that you could end up with a physical pedal that would sound different from the plugin one.

Anyway, I've had a bunch of Dano French Toast pedals, and I wouldn't consider any of them to be very smooth. I also built my own Foxx Tone Machine, so that I could have the octave mode on a footswitch. I discovered that by using different transistors than the French Toast pedals that I could make it smoother sounding in a way, but that primarily just IMO made the octave mode much better and more musical.

The non-octave mode in the French Toast is pretty aggressive, and there's tons of gain/distortion on tap.

Another thing to think about - if the FTM gets close, but you want more of the gated fuzz effect, you could actually put a boost in front of it. Just smack the front end until it gets the square wave effect to your liking. I'd probably try something like a EHX LPB-1 - full-range boost that's just a simple transistor design - should be good with a fuzz.

Mimirr likes this.
  20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mimirr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.