1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What fuse?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drett, Feb 27, 2013.

1. drett

drett TDPRI Member

I have this kind of oddball mid-60s amp that I can't find a schematic for anywhere. It's a Lafayette H-152, which as I understand it, is a re-branded Univox of some sort. Lafayette was a Radio Shack brand name. Problem is, I have not found an exact analog in my research about Univox amps, let alone the Lafayette. The closest match is the Univox U-202r or U-255r, both of which have reverb and a couple of extra tubes to run that circuit. Mine does not.

There is a schematic for the U-255r out there and it shows that it uses a 6.3v 3 amp fuse. Would I be safe using the same for my Lafayette? If not, any suggestions for finding out what the proper fuse should be? I ask because there are no markings on the current fuse, and though I'm guessing it's original, its certainly possible that some previous owner put the wrong fuse in. Who knows?

A little more info about the amp:

The tube line up is two 6973, one 6CA4 rectifier tube and three 12AX7's. The amp has two channels each with Normal and Bright inputs. It's also equipped with tremolo but no reverb. My best guess is it's probably around 15-20 watts.

Below are some pics from before I did any work on it. I've since added a three-prong chord, changed out ALL of the capacitors because they were leaky, removed the "death" cap, and a few other small things.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Lafayette were their own thing similar to Radio Shack but never part of Radio Shack. They were a Radio Shack competitor. Their retail operation went the way of the buffalo by 1981.

As you've discovered they sold re-badged Univox guitar amps.

Try a 2A 125V slo-blo on the mains.

3. drett

drett TDPRI Member

Okay, cool. I don't know too much about fuses (or amps, for that matter) so I'll assume the 2A 125V will be a safe choice.

Incidentally, I picked this amp up for free on CL. It came without a speaker and had the leaky capacitors, but once I got those things figured out, I ended up with a great sounding amp for practically nothing! Plus, I think it makes a great piece of furniture in my place.

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

thread resurrection for a Lafayette H-152...

...just in case anyone uses the Search function on the Lafayette H-152.

I have the same amp. I trashed the original 12" and put in a 15" since there was room for it. It turned out to be a good decision. Here's the schematic.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.