1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What freeware to record, equalize, organize lots of vinyl?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ben Bishop, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

I have a few hundred albums. I have a good turntable, phono pre-amp, SSL2 and a Windows computer. I would like to digitize my collection. I have only a couple of specific issues; 30% of my records are classical so the primary sort is by composer, not performer. And on the older popular music there are many albums I only want to keep a few tracks. Can anyone recommend software and the correct sequence of use so I can playback albums or sets of tracks? I'm wanting to use freeware as this is mostly a one-time project and also I can see myself starting off in a rush, leaving it for a couple of months and then getting back to it. The idea of paying monthly subscription fees for a product I'm not using just bugs me.

I have no interest in downloads whether Tidal or Spotify; all music will come from CD's and vinyl that I own (storage media changed under fair-use provisions). I want non-compressed music (16/44.1) but the option of producing car-friendly tracks (mp3, compression and equalization applied). I currently use Windows Media Player just because it's in Windows Home, uses WAV format, and can show the album cover.

Thanks for your help!

2. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Hi Ben, there are a variety of free ways. The first ones that come to mind are Plex, VLC, Kodi, and Audacity. I’ve used all these for ripping, digitizing, organizing, playing, etc.

Stillhouse likes this.
  3. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

I have successfully used Audacity to digitise records.
    Audacity has noise and click removal effects, but I did it manually ..... takes some time but worth the effort

Stillhouse likes this.
  4. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Yeah, Audacity's good for digitizing. It's not a media library, but you can use it to embed metadata that your player/library app can read, in order to simplify organizing and searching.

Stillhouse likes this.
  5. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

For organizing your library, there's Tagscanner. Otherwise just use 'file explorer' and create suitable folders to organise.

6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you haven't looked at VinylStudio, you should do so. It comes in free and pay versions. It is designed to do just what you are planning. I have used it for well over 10 years for vinyl, cassettes, and now I use it for downloaded music. It is very comprehensive. I had some kind of misunderstanding (?) with the engineer that developed it, but it hasn't kept me from using it. You can basically record anything and burn it to CDs or DVDs in many file formats.

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.