What Fender Tele Neck-PU is closest in sound to MiM Tele stock Neck-PU?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TickleMyTele, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TickleMyTele

TickleMyTele Tele-Meister

Long story short, my neck pickup died (seems it was defective, I take care of my guitar).
    My tech has my guitar, the warranty is still active, he's been bugging Fender for two weeks.
    They keep blowing him off, basically. Last he heard was "Oh they're not in stock,
    we might be able to rip one out of a guitar we haven't shipped out yet, I'll have to check."
    That was over a week ago.
    Every time he calls, its "Oh I'll call you back on ___", and they don't.
    It's been two weeks, Fender is giving him the runaround, I want my Tele back.
    If the situation hasn't changed by the time I get paid next Friday,
    I'm just going to buy a new pickup to stick in it.
    So, my question is...In your opinion, which FENDER brand aftermarket Tele neck-PU sounds closest
    to the one that comes stock in MiM Standard Teles?
    I loved the way my Tele sounded, and want to keep it as close to how it was stock as possible.
    This experience with trying to get a replacement pickup for my DEFECTIVE one,
    is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I got this guitar new, 3 months ago.
    I just want to play my guitar. Fender is not trying very hard to make that happen.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Just a thought, and I have no way of knowing how much one of these foes for in your area, but... it may be worthwhile to just buy a used MIM Tele from Craigslist or something, and swap the pickups.

A lot of people on this forum don't like the stock ceramic pickups that come on the MIM Teles, but I personally love mine.

3. TickleMyTele

Before I bought my MiM Tele, I tried about 5 different Teles at my local music store-
    I didn't like any of them but the one I bought, and it was the cheapest one! Happy coincidence :).
    I've tried other Teles since then, but even now, every time I try a MiA Tele, I never like the way the pickups sound.
    Is it just me, or do the American made Teles sound really thin, without much range?
    The difference between my MiM and the MiAs I played is night and day, to my ears!
    However, there is a large variety of Fender brand pickups for Telecasters, and I'm willing to try one,
    but I want it to be as close as possible in output and sound to the stock neck PU on MiM Teles.
    I can't really justify buying an entire guitar just to steal a pickup from it :p

4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I got you. I just brought it up because around here, I've seen MIMs go for $250-$300, and some aftermarket pickups are sold for that price too.

I can't really help you with any specific manufacturer, but I know that Bill Lawrence and Lindy Fralin get a lot of love on this forum. Maybe check them out.

Keep in mind when you're looking that the standard MIM pickups are quite a bit hotter than most Tele pickups too.

5. TickleMyTele

I'm looking to buy a replacement made BY Fender, one of their many Tele pickups they stick in other models, and whatnot-
    Trying to keep my Tele all Fender.
    Example, Nocaster pickups, Blackguard pickups, Broadcaster pickups, '52 pickups, the 60's pickups, etc etc etc
    They make a ton of different ones, I'm just trying to figure out which set has a neck PU that is closest in output and sound
    to the neck PU that comes stock in MiM Teles. :)
    If NONE of them come close, I guess I could buy a set so it doesn't sound "off" having a neck PU with much less output than the bridge.
    But even then, I'd want to get as close as possible to sound and output of MiM stock pickups.

Now that I think about it, if I have the money,
    it might be a good time to try the Lollar CC pickup.
    I dunno though. For now, I'll stick to looking for the answer to my current question.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  6. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

There is a set from a Mexican Tele for sale on ebay right now for $30.00.

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What about another used MIM from EBay, Reverb, or possibly this forum's classified? So many people swap them out for expensive ones that there should be a lot of used ones on the market for not a lot of cash.

8. TickleMyTele

I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't really want to buy used-
    Who knows what they've been through or how old they are,
    anybody can make anything up online.

If Fender would just replace the pickup, everything would be dandy.
    It's kind of messed up that they are beating around the bush like this,
    warranty is warranty and they stuck a defective pickup in my guitar.
    They agreed it's defective and agreed to replace it, but no progress towards that so far.

This is a last resort type thing, I am NOT waiting a month for them to get around to it,
    I play guitar in a band and at home every day.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Fender has hundreds if not thousands of those pickups so either they're dicking around with your tech because he's not an Authorized Fender Service Center or he's dicking around with you. Call Fender Customer Service yourself and make your request. Don't stop 'til you get a live person who says he's holding one in his hand and is boxing it to ship to you, not your tech, as you speak. They can do that if needed. If the rep won't do it get a supervisor on the line.

If this guitar is under warranty be prepared to prove that with a sales receipt you can fax to them if required. The other alternative is to ask for the nearest Fender Authorized Service Center and have them overnight the pickup to them if they don't already have one in stock. Let them know that there are 100,000 members here that will soon learn of their lousy response to a warranty issue if this isn't taken care of immediately.

Then get back to us. :D

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I really like my MIM tele ceramics too. $30 on eBay should be a no brainer to you IMO. Mine have been going strong for a few years now.

oldmark likes this.
  11. TickleMyTele

I was also confused about the "we have none in stock" comment, like...really? Lol.
    He is a Fender Authorized tech, the only one in my area, he works at a music store called Carlton's Music.
    He was actually recommended to me by Fender.
    I called Fender first about the issue before taking it to the tech and leaving it in his hands.
    So, it very much seems like they are dicking HIM around. He's a really nice dude.
    He told me he's going to try speaking to someone else there, because every time he calls,
    the same guy answers and says the same thing (I'll get back to you on ___[day]) but never comes through.
    I bought the guitar brand new about 3-4 months ago,
    all new Fender products come with a one year warranty with proof of purchase.
    I do have a receipt, my tech has a copy of it and sent it to them,
    the person he spoke to agreed that the pickup is defective and under warranty.
    They just keep giving him the go-around on it, beating around the bush,
    and never actually doing anything.

I like your suggestion though! I will call myself and see if I can't get things sorted,
    I'll get a kick out of mentioning that a forum post I made attracted attention and gave me the idea to call myself :p

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    soulman969 likes this.
  12. soulman969

OK, then at least we know the tech thing is not an issue. Some Fender CS reps are great at giving people the run around so this is where you might have to take it higher. If it was me and the response was the same as usual I'd simply and politely say "that won't do". If the rep keeps pushing his repeat button I get to the point where I ask him what part of "that won't due" am I not making clear to him and usually the battle is joined between us.

Then it becomes since you can't help me I'd like to speak to the CS manager and from there I'll keep pushing them until I finally get someone who'll actually agree to "go get one" or an acceptable substitute and be willing to box it and ship it himself. I'll ask for the head of Fender Sales if I have to or even the President of FMIC or lacking that they can even go dig Leo himself up and I'll talk to him. LOL

Because of his relationship with Fender your tech may not feel comfortable pressing them that hard but you are a loyal customer whose out your guitar because they keep jacking around with your tech so get as righteously indignant as it take as nicely as you can but let them know that this phone conversation doesn't end until you have a satisfactory solution only they can provide. Invoking the power of TDPRI can't hurt either. It's worked for many others. ;)

TickleMyTele likes this.
  13. TickleMyTele

I very much like your train of thought, I'm going to give this a try when I get off work in the morning!
    I'll mention that the Fender rep is giving my tech the runaround, never getting back to him, always the same response,
    and the fact that I've been waiting on a replacement after it was agreed I am entitled to one, for almost 3 weeks now!
    I'll definitely mention, "I went over to the TDPRI forums and created a post asking for advice on my situation,
    and have had many sympathetic responses" - :p I imagine that'll get some hands and feet moving.
    If I have to go higher up to actually get things going, I'm not afraid to be the angry loyal customer. Sounds fun :p.

soulman969 likes this.
  14. soulman969

Good luck brother and Git 'er dun!

TickleMyTele likes this.
  15. TickleMyTele

The more I think about "Oh, we don't have any MiM Standard Tele single coil pickups in stock",
    the more ridiculous it sounds. Lol. This is going to be a ball.

16. soulman969

At one time all of the pickups were wound in the Corona plant with those needed for the MIMs sent to Ensenada or they were installed after the guitars reached the Corona plant. How it's done today I can't say but if they can't supply the correct stock pickup have them supply another that's acceptable to you.

They can't be shipping a thousand guitars or more a day without pickups so they must have something around there that will work for you. Someone just needs to take the responsibility for getting this done. Part of the problem is big companies hire too many robot like employees who can't think on their feet or take responsibility for much of anything accept what they're told to say or do.

17. TickleMyTele

I'm not sure if they'd replace it with a CS pickup, mostly because cost difference,
    maybe if I really hounded them? (it IS ridiculous to wait weeks for a replacement)
    I even asked my tech at one point, under frustration,
    "What if I paid the difference for a CS pickup. Would they do that?"
    He said "I doubt it, because your guitar came with standard single coils, not CS pickups."
    I think the best course of action is just to call, hound them and refuse to be made to wait any longer with no answer.
    If they agree to put a CS pickup in there, sure, I just want my damn guitar to work. Lol.

18. soulman969

If Fender was smart then an Authorize Service Center should have a basic supply of parts on hand for repairs including a set or two of MIM pickups and the most basic sets they use in the MIA Teles.

That IF they were smart with a capital IF you see. :rolleyes:

19. TickleMyTele

Agreed, this kind of situation could be easily avoided, lol
    If they try to give ME the runaround, I figured out what I am going to say;

"I've owned two guitars from two other brands and never had an issue.
    I fell in love with Fender guitars and gear, and thought they were the best in the world.
    If Leo Fender were here, I absolutely doubt he would be proud of this "best guitar company in the world",
    that puts a defective pickup in a $500+ dollar guitar, and then makes the customer wait weeks for a replacement,
    giving the customer the runaround with no word on when one will even be on the way.
    I'm sure most of the community on the Telecaster Discussion and Fender forums would agree."

Of course, I'll say this all in a pleasant voice ;).
    That should get things moving. Hahaha.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  20. TickleMyTele

Called Fender Customer Support,
    I can't type much right now, but in short-
    It seems like the communication between Mexico/Fender and all that in regards to my claim specifically,
    is moving slow for one reason or another, my impression and that of the person I talked to, is that Mexico is lagging
    on their side of things- He's going to give me a call back in about two hours when certain people (???) are in and
    give me more info on why things aren't moving quickly and see if it can be sped up,
    my claim IS in the database and accepted, it all checks out, and I should know more in two hours.
    So, two hours from now, that phone call will be the deciding factor for whether I become "Demanding Customer",
    or "Satisfied Customer" :). I'll update when I have an update.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.