What, exactly, did I buy?

KevinInPMtn

TDPRI Member
I like the guitar regardless of the details, just curious where it "ranks". Its an Affinity that is made in China, serial is CY05021695. The ad for it said it was a "Squier Classic Vibe '60s Telecaster Thinline" but I don't see any other guitars listed as Affinity AND CV. I didn't buy it under the assumption that CV was a level higher than Affinity but I have read something to that effect.

9901c56ad86e7c74cf4c94f38cbf9431cfab5045_2_375x500.jpeg

So far, I am liking the guitar. It has had its pickups replaced with some Golden Age units. I don't know what the originals sounded like but these sound pretty nice to me. The narrow neck makes some shapes a little more difficult, but its not drastic.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I've never seen a CV Thinline in that colour & they usually have pearl pickguards.
And it' certainly not an Affinity. At least not the body.
It is beautiful though.
If it plays good & sounds good. I wouldn't worry about what it is.
I think you have something unique.

widefault

Tele-Meister
I'd say the body is from a Jay Turser thinline like this one.

msalama

Tele-Holic
HNGD!

Maaaan, that's such a beauty queen of a guitar that I'm actually feeling envious here :D But I wouldn't worry about its originality overmuch myself if I were you, provided that the purchase price was right... hey, if that babe plays good, just PLAY her and be happy!

PS. And yeah, this too:

the neck off it yet

So if you're curious, do check the neck and body cavities for stamps and such for possible clues about its origins and originality.

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Looks cool but the F hole shape is not Fender or Squier, so it's a partscaster.
FWIW all my Fender style guitars are partscasters.

KevinInPMtn

TDPRI Member
Its almost certainly the Jay Turser, apparently with an affinity neck installed. It plays as nice as anything I own, maybe a little better than my PRS SE245. My only (small) issue is a little bit of static if my fingers move across the pick guard while strumming. Maybe a grounding issue. Its not a big enough issue to deal with until I decided that it needs new strings.

I think the riddle is solved at this point but I will also check the neck joint/pocket for more info at that time. Thanks for the replies..

BTW, I paid $250 and I am pleased with that number. I have no intentions to sell it so this info was/is only to satisfy my curiosity.