What Exactly Could An iPad Do For Me As A Guitar Player?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jamie Black, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Originally posted by J-man

This was my biggest concern. :neutral:

2. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Here's an example of one of my recordings using only the iPad. I recorded the guitars for this from my sofa, using the Apogee Jam interface I mentioned earlier. Used one of 'sparkling clean' Fender amp models with a fuzz effect, little bit of delay too. The Apogee remains pretty quiet, the noise gate dials out most, if not all, of any unwanted buzz, hiss, etc.

Recorded everything else with the smart instruments.

https://soundcloud.com/scooch255/d-minor-1

3. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Originally posted by dburns

I really like that! I'm sure I'd have a ball playing with that stuff, I just need to give it some deep thought as to whether I feel comfortable spending the kind of money I'd have to to get a brand new ipad. I know the mini's are less money but I can't help but wonder if I'd have a harder time seeing it because I'd also like to use it to learn from youtube videos.

4. Bagger

Bagger Tele-Meister

I like anytune. It lets you import songs and slow them down and you can even loop parts

5. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Give you something to play games on in between gigs and practice.

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I have Jam Player, does the same thing. You can play mp3s alter the pitch or tempo and select parts to loop. Really good for learning parts.

7. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Actually Apple is really good at supporting their products. I have an iPad2 as well and it has taken every update and runs as good and as quick now as the day I bought it. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to buy one especially if you can get one for two bills.

Thing about Apple is everything mobile (iPhone, iPad, iPod) are all basically the same platform so they only have one "system" to work on and update which means their older products stay relevant longer. With Android it's just a base operating system that they sell out to manufacturers to use and mod as they wish. Therefore you have "good" Android devices and "Mehh" Android devices and updates to Android might work great on one manufacturer's device but cause another one to crash.

I use the Line 6 Mobile Pod interface along with their modeling app on my iPad2 and I love it and it works flawlessly.

Bottom line, and it's just my opinion and nothing more, is that I wouldn't hesitate to get a iPad2 for your needs if you can snag a deal on one.

8. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    They do still support the iPad 2, but my concern is how much longer they will continue to. For example, the iPod Touch 4g (the generation before the current model) cannot update iOS past 6.x. Despite it clearly being powerful enough to handle newer versions.

They might continue releasing iOS updates for the iPad 2, but they very well may not.

9. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I totally understand.

I lucked out in that my wife went overboard and got me one as a combined Christmas/birthday gift. Years of complaining about getting screwed on my birthday (Dec 27th) finally paid off ;)

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I like songsterr for figuring out new songs:

11. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

The iPad 2 is getting pretty old and may run fine with it's current OS but another year or two, probably not. Not to say it'll be a useless device by then but definitely very limited in terms of 3rd party apps. But it is not so much about Apple still supporting it as it is with the app developers. Mobile is a fast moving target, most devs prefer to take advantage of the latest and greatest hardware.

12. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That's weird because my son finally had to upgrade from his iPhone 4 because the last big update (8 maybe?) was the first one that his phone wouldn't accept.

13. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm writing this on the original ipad. I can use onsong amplitube grageband with the synth app.....record, still working like charm. no it doesn't upgrade IOS past 5.0 but even so it still runs a ton of apps.....I would love to have an ipad2....just because they quit supporting an os doesn't mean they quit doin what they do. :cool:

14. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

I still use a iPad 1. The key is purchasing the apps when you buy he hardware. It will continue to run those apps. Many still get updates, Music Studio & Guitar Pro for example. Many useful apps out there that still run on 5.1, Pro Midi, Swift Player, ChordPolyPad, DrumJam, and many more.
    With an iPad 1 you can't download older versions of apps that now require a newer OS unless you have previous purchased them. That will eventually happen to the iPad 2. Just budget for apps now.
    I still have a ten year old mac mini that does everything it did when I first bought it, particularly music wise as I purchased the software I needed at the same time. It even has a current supported browser, TenFourFox.

15. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Updates

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you on the Apple Updates. I am still using an iPad (1) for my lyrics with onsong ap...Apple hardware just seems to keep working.:p

16. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    What I was saying has nothing to do with how long the hardware will last.

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I wanted an easy way to store songs and song lists and have them on stage as unobtrusively as possible with minimal hassle. I got an iPad clamp that is compatible with any mike stand, so you can have sitting in front of you at about stomach level. The iPad's lighting keeps everything lit up so you can read it on a dark stage.

For any song where I need some kind of cheat sheet, such as key licks written out in Tab and maybe the changes, I just write it out on a piece of paper like I always did. I bought a cheap app that will allow you to take a picture with your phone and turn it into a .pdf file. JotNot Pro is the .pdf maker I'm using now. So Step 1 is I just .pdf of my cheat sheet.

Then I also have an app called the Unreal Book. I can easily import the .pdf to the Unreal Book, and it allows me to sort all the songs into set lists, re-order the songs, etc. I can also see all of the songs listed on an "All Songs" table of contents home screen, in alphabetical order. Anyway, that way I can have all the cheat sheets right there with me, and they don't blow away in the wind. It can handle multi-page songs but I like to keep it to one page. It's a very simple app, I didn't need the fancier ones for my purposes.

I use the ClearTune guitar tuner on my phone and iPad. I also use the iPad for listening to songs on YouTube and figuring them out. I have an app called ChordBank which gives you quick access to just about every single chord known to man, I think--at least all the ones with the root on the E,A, or D string, for sure.

I also have iReal Pro which basically shows Real Book style charts. There is a user community that creates chord charts and posts them. You can basically import the RealBook into your iPad with this app, plus hundreds of other songs. It will also play the songs with a very basic drums, bass, and piano, so you can have jam tracks.

Finally, I use the standard Voice Memo feature to record my ideas or even the band. Works perfectly fine for basic field recordings.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I have several generation of iDevices...

The older ones do not upgrade and have not for some years. The old hardware is still sound but you will get stuck in time with an old OS and old apps that get less and less updates and then a really cool app or feature will come out and you will get the 'unsupported device' or do you want to download an older version option. :(

Both my gen 1 iPads get used by kids for browsing and some popular games, but it would be a false economy to not get the best you can get if buying today. Key too is the amount of memory in GB, get too little and you will regret it, after a few months especially if you like videos, photos and music and have a lot of music. 64gig or more is good.

Video editing and photography apps are fun and we also connect to other family members with FaceTime and Skype via the web which saves a fortune on phone calls and cellular costs. Again FaceTime works on newer devices I think. Most family email is done on ipads now.

If you don't need a full computer (I use pcs and macs all day for my job) then tablets are ideal to just 'do stuff' easily and without getting tied to a desk and lots of wires.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Garage band is very easy and very productive. (I understand that you may not use it).

My son uses Songsterr and he learns new songs very quickly. It's great.

The Peterson Strobe Tuner app costs $9.00 and it works as good as a real Peterson Strobo.

I have a new iPad Air and an ancient first generation iPad. I have notes for about 80 tunes for the cover band that I gig in stored in the old ipad. I arrange the files to match set lists and flip the screen with my finger when we gig. No one has ever mentioned that I have a pad on my mic stand. Not one bar goer has ever said a thing. Hercules makes a great iPad mic stand holder.

[​IMG]

Our drummer and our singer and our bass player and I have pads on stage. People don't see them or they don't care. We practice once per week and gig about 4 times monthly. We're tighter live because we have notes. I'll admit it. I like my iPad onstage.

A number of companies make blue tooth page turners for iPad sheet music. You tap your toe on a wireless pedal and the page turns on the iPad. Really handy for musicians.

20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I have the ancient generation 1 iPad, updated as much as I can. I only use it for mixing my in ear monitors. The digital mixer we have has its own wifi connection, so everyone with iPads can mix their own ears. And our sound tech can wander throughout the crowd and adjust the FOH from anywhere.
    I had some free apps like Amplitube and others, but gave up on them altogether.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.