1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Ever Happened To TDPRI Build Challenges?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ElJay370, Feb 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Hopefully. HOPEFULLY! I will be able to join this year during the summer since I have no access to tools while in school. But if I can't I will watch with anticipation for next year :D

photondev and crazydave911 like this.
  2. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

Sounds good. I’m officially abandoning all thoughts of a bootleg challenge.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  4. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Thanks Dave :).

Cinco de Marcho it is then !!!

Now I don't feel so bad for dragging my feet on the start of the latest build.

I can drag them for another week now ;).

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

And hopefully I can finish mine :(

old wrench likes this.
  6. boop

boop Tele-Holic

I also found TDPRI because I was interested in learning about guitar building. The challenge threads are a great resource and lots of fun. I do remember seeing some people dropping out, etc.

My sense is that the greatest thing about the challenges was the camaraderie, not the challenge itself. I can go on youtube and watch the guy from Crimson guitars build a guitar in 24 hours or whatever if I want to see that. I just wanted to see people build guitars, i don't care how long it takes you.

Good on @crazydave911 for doing another group build thing, it's cool to see that. Also there was a group of bass builders doing cool builds this winter. (I stopped noticing those threads, the mods may have stopped them from bubbling up to the main page on new posts) I don't know if I'll have time to participate this year. I have work work and I'd like to eventually reboot my own languishing build.

THANK YOU to all you people who have posted some fantastic, sometimes amazing, build threads, in the challenges or otherwise!

7. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Yes - thanks Dave!!! I'll be in this year too, while I'm working on my two 2020 builds at the same time. I'll need to come up with an idea... I'll be looking for the guidelines.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Moderators, would it be possible to set up a subforum for this? So the activity could be separated from the regular forum.

Just asking....

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just avoid high speed vehicle collisions for a while brother! :eek:

DC

wadeeinkauf and crazydave911 like this.
  10. crazydave911

Yes John, could we?

I don't even drive anymore and have no vehicle so the prevention is above our heads for now ;)

old wrench likes this.
  11. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing. I didn't even know about that occasion, I pretty much switched off after throwing in the towel over rule discussions prior to the 2014 Challenge, following how traumatic events became at the end of the 2013 event. Not only did I pull out of being a mod, I pulled out from the whole site for years. The 2013 and 2014 Challenges pretty much define why the whole thing fell on its face. Who needed the hassle?

RogerC, wadeeinkauf and crazydave911 like this.
  12. Mojotron

I always wanted to support the rules and not voice dissent over them, but I could never understand all the polarization over the rules. All of that just took away from a great thing.

old wrench likes this.
  13. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Whether your statement is taken in context or out of context, all I can say is . . .

Man, isn't that the truth ;)!!!

Mojotron likes this.
  14. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't remind me...that means yet another trip around the sun is completed for me! LOL

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I always felt there were two different issues that caused conflict when it came to the rules.

On the one hand there were those (and that included me on several occasions) who were trying to get absolute clarification about what a rule meant. This was because these people were really not wanting to get DQ’ed on a technicality. On several occasions I even messaged Paul privately to try and ensure what I was proposing was within the rules.

On some of those times it was clear that Paul (and maybe other moderators) were frustrated that something they thought was perfectly clear and simple was being read (or even capable of being read) in a different way from how they intended it.

The other issues were those who just thought the rules (or a specific rule, at least) were silly, or that it was held at the wrong time of year (for them) or something. At least in the years there were several categories one could enter I only ever thought there was one I could do, and I guess if none of the categories suited me it would have been a case of “oh well, not for me this year”. As it turned out I didn’t enter in the last year.

I do think that the challenges produced some of the best, and most innovative in many ways, guitars I have ever seen, and that was a great achievement for the forum.

Kudos to crazydave for coming up with, and cheerleading on the Brotherhood Builds last year, and it was an enormous blow to many when the accident happened. As well as many of us having changes of daily situations as a result of the other event of 2020. The forum has changed since the build challenges took place, and the Brotherhood Builds were a great way to bring part of that earlier spirit back.

kwerk, wadeeinkauf and crazydave911 like this.
  16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

yep. He would say, “just read it!” :lol:

As somebody who has written a LOT of procedures for other people to follow, I can tell ya, it ain’t easy to make em foolproof!

kwerk and RogerC like this.
  17. crazydave911

My experience with Paul was much like yours and I tried mightily to get him to listen to reason, basically being told leave if I didn't like it.
    When I left in 2013 is was my saddest day. I came physically sick and dying and the community here helped saved my life. When I finally did come back after checking in occasionally I hadn't built squat in the years but I was determined to make a difference especially with the partscaster crowd. I've seen so many references to Warmoth it seems like an ad lol. I have nothing against them at all but felt it my business years ago to seriously cut there customer base here. I was the one probably roundly cursed in 2011 for getting make your own neck a requirement in that Challenge and helped all beginners I could. Most that had assumed voodoo involved were amazed how straightforward it was regardless of method.
    And as long as I live I will be here make a difference in this place I love.

Well off my pulpit, good day

Dave

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I still don't enjoy making necks that much but I'm proud that I can do it. ;-)

DesmoDog and crazydave911 like this.
  19. Mojotron

I love making necks! Thanks Dave! I had already made a few by the time that challenge came along, but I learned a lot about neck making that year seeing how everyone else did some things. I still use many of those techniques that I learned that year today.

The other big thing is pickup making - that changed the world for me once I made a few and found that - like necks - it's approachable to build something way better than I might be able to buy, AND, I could make stuff like the original SD Jazz pickup and various PAFs.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. There is a long standing forum rule against members running contests, etc. CrazyDave's idea was allowed to proceed as long as it was not referred to as a contest or challenge, and there was no "structure" or prizes. If everyone sticks to that, then there is no reason that a Brotherhood Build 2.0 wouldn't be ok.

As far as previous challenges, each year the rules were different. That's was part of the challenge. Lots of folks didn't agree with that when the new rules didn't work for them the way previous rules did. The more Paul tried to simplify things, the more complicated it seemed to get.

Paul had Kwerk and I run the challenge for a couple years. Then after Kwerk had enough, Paul and I did it for a few years after that. Believe me, it was a very time consuming and frustrating job at times. Paul felt enough was enough and after we debated it at length, he decided that was the end of it. His forum, his choice.

The new owners do not currently have any wish to hold an official challenge, and unless that changes there isn't a whole lot of point in bringing it up.

Jim_in_PA, kwerk, Jupiter and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.