What else might I like if I like a Musicman HD 130 4x10?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
So I’ve been borrowing this amp from a bandmate, and it needs some work and for whatever reason that hasn’t happened yet.

I like the stiff/no sag way it reacts, and I put a lot of boosted bass/low octave/gain into it, and my sound is fairly pedal heavy. I’ve been using other amps for gigs and recording, but none of them seem to want to roar quite the same way with the signal I’m pumping out. I can tweak it at the pedalboard level and get something that works, but what I’m getting isn’t as satisfying. So far I’ve run my guitar/board through a crate vc50, a vintage bandmaster reverb/2x12 cab, and an old, very high wattage Roland cube (which actually sounded great, although the cleans don’t really sound like a guitar amp and it’s more like playing through a keyboard amp.

I think part of what I like about that amp is how snappy the 4x10 speakers are.

What other amps might I be into?

Sound wise, we cover a lot of ground between the chameleons/Samhain/godflesh/bolt thrower/Japanese hardcore/the cure/the birthday party/b52s etc etc etc …

I’m going back and forth between an mim tele with a quarter pounder in the bridge and a stock classic player jaguar with single coils.

A mini pog/behringer copy of the electric wizard fuzz/behringer hm-2/boss bf-2 factor heavily into my sound.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Also we don’t have a bass player but we’re starting to add more bass guitar and bass synth to our backing tracks.

Sisters of mercy is a big part of what we’re going for.

I should note, too, that part of what i love about the musicman is that it can sound very big and very clear at the same time. The last gig we played, (with the bandmaster reverb on loan from one of the other acts) i was joking that i could get the thump i wanted, but it was muddy as hell and if i wanted it clear, the front row was going to look like a memorex ad from the 80s.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
The Musicman is a hybrid amp, right? It seems like the combo of the 4x10 with the more immediate attack of a partially SS amp seems to be the main factors at play.

I would try to duplicate that. I have a pair of 2x10 cabs that I can use together to get pretty close to a 4x10.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m at a point where if it goes too much longer without getting fixed, I’m thinking about buying one for myself.

This thread is mostly about figuring out what my other options might be.

Big iron fenders and the jazz chorus are also things I’ve been thinking of.

I’m also leaning strongly towards a head and a cab, because the only real downside to that amp is how heavy/unwieldy it is.

That thing also sounds great going directly into it. It’s not just a pedal platform.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
HD130 are loud and clean but not JC120 clean.

Hi Watts, Dumble Clones.
Paired with a 4x10 with neo speakers.

Fender super 6.

On a budget a Yamaha g100 ii

Last edited:

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I had a HD130 2x10 many years ago. Miss that amp.

This year I bought a 200 watt Quilter Tone Block 202 and a pair of Quilter’s 1x12 12HD guitar cabinets. Believe it or not, nothing before has reminded me as much of my old Music Man as that Quilter rig. It makes a loud, clear, punchy, massive sound run clean. And it brings out the best in every pedal I’ve thrown at it, from growl to searing gain.

The 300 watt neo speakers in those cabs are marketed by Celestion as bass speakers but they work great as guitar speakers for Quilter. No mud to be had at any volume.

Sold my tube amps. YMMV

Attachments

• 39D3FB39-825B-4E64-8B5C-5D698ED3BEA1.jpeg
    39D3FB39-825B-4E64-8B5C-5D698ED3BEA1.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
Here’s a thought:

Rewire the speakers to just a 2x10 combination, instead of the 4x10, and see if you like that.

If so, try to find a 2x10 combo amp that resonates with you — Or convert the amp to a head and cabinet and load those 10” speakers into different cabinets.

If you like that MM, get it serviced. That’s usually cheaper than a new amp.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
The issue is that the amp isn’t mine, and I’ve offered more than once to just take care of getting it serviced, and that hasn’t gone anywhere. If i just get one for myself or get something in that ballpark, I’ll have one for other projects and i won’t have to work around whatever the issue is with getting this one dealt with.

I’m going to let this play out a little longer though. We’re almost done with our first album and we’ve both been putting off some musical things until after that’s taken care of.

Long term, though, I really want another one of that amp for my own or something like it.

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
My error. I assumed it was available for purchase. Sorry about that.

MM were/are unique amps. They were designed to be “Fender Twin Reverb” killers back in the day before modern “sound reinforcement” (i.e. PA systems and monitoring) where loud amps were necessary to be heard in the back of large crowded venues. I recall reading an article back in the ‘70s where the stated aim of Leo and Tom Walker (the guy who actually designed most of these amps; Leo was mostly involved in the guitar side of the business) was to build a guitar amp that would remain clean sounding at volumes exceeding that of Fender Twins. We are talking VERY LOUD! Today such painfully loud volumes are considered excessive (and they are). But that was what was needed back then. Not so much today.

I try to refrain from criticizing peoples’ taste in amps, guitars, music, etc but a lot of folks find them sterile and stiff while others, like me, find them quite versatile and even warm when paired with the right guitars and speakers.

During the 2008-9 Great Recession I found a lot of vintage amps and cabinets markedly discounted, including some great sounding MMs. My fondness for them has grown since the 70s; I admit that bias!

If you are looking for a quick/no sag amp, I agree with a prior post; try out Quilter solid state amps. The original 101 mini has many different voicings which may appeal to you. The Peavey 130 Special is another solid state amp worth checking out. Neither of these will break the bank and can be resold fairly quickly; a lot of people like them!

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Music Man also made head/cabinet combos, well worth looking into-still heavy but at least it’s not the back breaker that the 4x10 would be. Played with this guy once who had a HD130 with EV SRO speakers in there-couldn’t pick it up it was so heavy (and I can hoist a twin no sweat).

Haven’t played a quilter enough to form an opinion on it, but a Peavey Reknown (the specials big brother) might be right up your alley, along with a Nashville 400-big powerful and fairly clean sounding amps that can be had fairly cheap nowadays, and easily found as well.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Keep it coming with the weird lesser known peavey amps. I think a local shop has a quilter i could try.

I developed the guitar sounds I’m currently using playing into this amp, and it suits that really well.

The musicman is such an oddball amp that it’s making me wonder what other oddballs are out there in the same or similar ballparks.

Also worth mentioning: some of the gigs i play are at places that want to put a microphone on your amp. Some of them are at places where there just isn’t enough pa or enough microphones available for that.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Keep it coming with the weird lesser known peavey amps. I think a local shop has a quilter i could try.

I developed the guitar sounds I’m currently using playing into this amp, and it suits that really well.

The musicman is such an oddball amp that it’s making me wonder what other oddballs are out there in the same or similar ballparks.

Also worth mentioning: some of the gigs i play are at places that want to put a microphone on your amp. Some of them are at places where there just isn’t enough pa or enough microphones available for that.
Music Man in the mid 70s was the choice of many top touring acts. To me their big amps sounded better than the Fenders of the time. Never a fan of the Peavy's
New class D amps are the choice for most bass players these days

KC

Friend of Leo's
Ultralinear Super Reverb might be what you're looking for: big, clean, cheap. They aren't particularly popular as they don't give up the goods at club volume levels -- but it sounds like that's what you're after. I'll sell you mine (it's in Albany, NY).

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Here’s a thought:

Rewire the speakers to just a 2x10 combination, instead of the 4x10, and see if you like that.

If so, try to find a 2x10 combo amp that resonates with you — Or convert the amp to a head and cabinet and load those 10” speakers into different cabinets.

If you like that MM, get it serviced. That’s usually cheaper than a new amp.

I have also found that a 2x10 can get pretty close, and to me a vertical 2x10 sounds closer to a 4x10 than a horizontal 2x10. I have two vertical 2x10s and have played around with different combinations.