1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What effects voice and tone of a guitar to me.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheWizard333, Jul 29, 2014.

1. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

Ah heck that's it I'm moving the pick to 5% haha. I just made the original percentages up in my head. I didn't use a formula or anything.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

You play an acoustic. Try several different picks with it and then you'll notice the differences I'm talking about. The difference between some can be huge. Maybe not so much on an electric but still very noticeable.

3. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

Oh I know it's a huge difference, I just didn't know what percent so I just said 2. Haha

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

considering a guitar and amp at full V sitting on a stand.... make no noise or make a small hiss maybe...;)

picking/playing it is everything.... no matter what hardware is on it.... ;)

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

An electric guitar does not produce sound waves. It produces an electrical signal.

The amplifier creates the sound waves by modifying the electrical signal sent by the guitar.

The "acoustic" qualities of an unplugged guitar have absolutely no impact on the electromagnetic field created by the pickups and the way the vibrating strings turn that field into an electrical signal.

6. kelnet

Well, that's a given, isn't it? I mean, a car without a driver cannot achieve any speed, but does that mean the driver "is everything" in the top speed differences between a Ford Fiesta and a Bugatti Veyron? Put the same driver in both cars, and then tell me what the difference is.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

unless it rolls away downhill...;)

8. kelnet

:lol:

9. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

for the actual tone of the guitar imo is

40% wood
    40% amp
    10% pickup /wiring
    10% strings/setup

then i make it sound all twangy by picking near the bridge and subtle bends around the notes and stuff, also variable muting using the palm and freting hand and all that,and pick attack, but thats not the tone tho thats my technique

10. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Nope. How many times have you heard in forums like this that the guitar has nothing to do with tone?

That's nonsense of course, but it will come up again.

11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

+1 I have recently been trying heavier picks too, and amazed at the difference!

12. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

I have to disagree. You are confusing tone and style and it always happens in such discussions. Tommy Emmanuel playing a guitar will always sound like Tommy Emmanuel playing a guitar becuase, well, it IS Tommy Emmanuel playing a guitar. That is about as tautological as it gets.

However, Tommy Emmanuel playing a Telecaster will not sound like Tommy Emmanuel playing a 000-28. Period. Different TONE.

Furthermore, Tommy Emmanuel, because he is a good player, may be able to get more of a certain kind of tone out of an instrument than another more modest player, but he can't make an acoustic sound like an electric or a nylon string sound like a steel string.

We have to get our basic definitions correct.

13. kelnet

Indeed. Well said!! I've been making this point for years.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So have I, but it's an exercise in futility. Carlos Santana with a Tele and a solid state Peavey will be recognizable due his distinctive style, but the tone won't be anywhere near his signature sound.

15. kelnet

Maybe we can get more people to climb on board the "tone versus style" common sense train and put an end to this nonsense once and for all. :D

16. Frodebro

Baby steps... This year maybe we can eliminate world hunger. After that we can tackle the "tone versus technique" thing.

17. kelnet

:lol::lol::lol:

I just got in trouble from my wife. My laughing woke her up.

18. Frodebro

Just tell her that it's better your laughter than your libido. That will calm her right down.

19. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

I feel like after a while we all kinda develop our own distinct sound, and that sound follows you no matter what guitar or amp you are playing, you still sound like you, just through a different amp or guitar.

20. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

I have noticed over the years it's much easier to hear the body wood on a clear coated guitar than one with an opaque finish. I think the pigments restrict the flow of photonic resonance.

When someone is describing the tone of the wood of a guitar I like to ask things like do they like the sound of the graphite in the neck or the stainless steel truss rod. Even though I'm just making up stuff I often find they can hear it and will describe the tone. Sometimes you have to prod a little with "you can hear the difference can't you?".

Does someone here have a guitar with an A or a J in it's name? Has someone recently lost a guitar they would like to play again?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.