1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What effects voice and tone of a guitar to me.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheWizard333, Jul 29, 2014.

1. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

This is all my opinion but of course feel free to chime in with whatever you want to say.

This in percentage is what affects the voice and tone of a guitar.

- the amp/your settings = 55%
    - the pickups = 20%
    - the wood of the body = 10%
    - the fretboard/neck wood = 4%
    - the finish = 3%
    - the strings = 3%
    - the pick = 1%
    - other = 4%

As you see for me the amp is huge as well as the pickups. This is all debatable of course. I was just thinking about this in percentage on another thread and thought I'd share. I know this thread is open to so much discussion it's crazy.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

affects

3. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

Crap I knew I had that wrong haha. Should have checked.

4. kelnet

It's not too late to change it.

5. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

You forgot underpants.

6. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

I changed the body of it but don't know how to change title. I'm using TDPRI app.

7. kelnet

Oh well. We'll overlook it just this once. :D

8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Hmmm. To me most of the amplified sound is just the acoustic sound, um, amplified.

Sure, the amp tone controls and gain give you heaps of range but it is all really variations on the source sound.

A mahogany SG is destined to sound quite different to a maple L6S. And it does. Both acoustically and amplified. If you want to get that BB sound then start with a 335. If you prefer SRV's sound then find a strat. Finding the same amps that they used isn't really necessary.

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

The player, and his/her ear, soul, mood, etc. etc.

10. kelnet

You do need a guitar though, right?

11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Oh I forgot. Doesn't everyone start with a Tele? ;)

12. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

Yes I agree which is why I listed the wood and pickup second. What I mean is with each individual guitar, the amp is the main source of tone.

If you take to identical LP's and play one through a nice amp and one through a cheap amp. Then your going to get two different sounds even though they are exactly the same. Where as if you take one LP made of mahogany and one of let's say alder and play them through the same amp. There will be sounds you can get out of each one you can't get out of the other but

They will sound a lot closer than if one is through a cheap amp. Which is why I think the amp is the main source of tone. Just my opinion of course.

Hope it made sense and trust me I'm crazy over stupid stuff. I'm just trying to not go down that road because once I start I can't turn around. I'll start saying everything affects tone. The weather, the wind blowing, smoke in the air blah blah. I'm crazy and know this stuff doesn't matter but at the same time I want to believe every little thing matters haha.

I'm just trying to keep my self sensible in this thread.

13. BUILTACASTER

BUILTACASTER TDPRI Member

Maybe a Tele?

14. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Except pickups don't work that way.. By design they pick up the vibrations of the strings, not the acoustic properties of the wood. At best you can argue that some negligible vibrations translate from the strings to the wood and back to the strings. But it seems like the finish and all the other crap attached to the wood would kill that and it's pretty apparent from putting your hand to the body that very little vibration is taking place.

This topic has been covered so many times and I've yet to hear of anyone being able to pass a blind test on the tonal differences of wood used in a solid body guitar.

It's not really important anyway. Just play the damn things..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Of the amp portion I'd give 50% of that to speaker choice.

Strings/gauge would be way higher on my list.

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just had a local guitar kid over to put a bridge PU in a Gio he bought cheap,,,, he ripped an active PU out and wanted a regular one in it to sell it off... I've always got a few lying around...

while he was here he was playing on my latest P90 Tele..... same amp settings as me... same guitar... but HOLY SHIITE it sounded frikken amazing!!!!... getting sounds out of it I hadn't got yet.... dammit...

I think the player deserves a bigger % of the credit on OP's list.... give your guitar/amp settings to 10 players, one after the other, and I bet they all will have a difference in the sounds they get.... ;)

17. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Where you can hear an acoustic difference between solid body guitars you can hear an amplified difference. Bring the volume up on your guitar from zero and you will hear its acoustic qualities are retained in the amplified sound.

It's tempting to think of a string vibration as a neutral thing but it carries more information than you might expect, especially at the starting transient. Just as you can hear the difference between, say, old and new strings both acoustically and through the speaker you can also hear the acoustic signature of the instrument.

18. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Take your pick

Unless you're playing at very high volumes with huge amounts of gain and with tons of fx, to me, the choice of the humble pick can make a huge difference. I recently tried a heavier pick than usual (Dunlop delrin 1.5mm) and was staggered at the improvement in tone. These things get so much more middle and bass out of the string it's uncanny. The treble is smooth too. A cheap 'upgrade' and worth a look.

19. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I see no good reason to think that's true. Just stop and think about how pickups actually function.. They pick up on disturbances in their magnetic field and turn that into an electrical signal. The only way acoustics factor in is by indirectly causing the strings to vibrate, since wood has no affect on the magnetic field. Those vibrations have to be transferred from the string, through the saddles, bridge, nut, finish etc, to the body, then back through those components to the strings again. Try playing a chord on your guitar.. Then put your hand to the guitar's body and feel for resonance. There's practically no resonance, right? Now think that it has to resonate back through all the other junk between the body and the strings, effectively killing what little resonance had made it from the strings to the body in the first place.

It all seems incredibly unlikely that anything short of a in depth audio analysis by a computer is going to notice a difference between two wood types on a solid body electric. And even in the most extreme circumstances (some kind of incredibly resonant solid body vs one that doesn't resonate at all), the resonance is probably just going to translate as sustain.

20. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Let's not forget the moon. New moon at present, the tones are going through the roof.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.