What effect is used in this intro by the Willis Brothers?

CornbredRed

TDPRI Member
Hey guys, I'm really digging this intro in the song Truck Stop Cutie by the Willis Brothers, it has a great effect on it. I'm assuming it's played on guitar but not sure tho. Here is a link to YouTube and Spotify, if anyone has any idea of the effect(s) used in the intro and throughout the song I would greatly appreciate.
Cheers Jeroen

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
A voltage-triggered envelope filter. Pick softly, and the 'wah' effect is very small. Dig in, and the wah opens up more.

Used in the solo for this tune:

They could've spent about 10 minutes clearing out that warehouse to make load-in and load-out a bit easier.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Sounds like a talk box to my ears.
First thing that came to my mind.
An auto-wah might get you kind of close.
Second thing that came to my mind. Being a bedroom player, I have a modeling amp with built-in effects, and it did remind me of the auto-wah that it comes with.
A voltage-triggered envelope filter. Pick softly, and the 'wah' effect is very small. Dig in, and the wah opens up more.

Used in the solo for this tune:

They could've spent about 10 minutes clearing out that warehouse to make load-in and load-out a bit easier.

One thing I have noticed with my modeling amp is that all the built-in effects seem to be intensified with harder picking.

Or maybe I can just hear them better with more volume.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Hey guys, I'm really digging this intro in the song Truck Stop Cutie by the Willis Brothers, it has a great effect on it. I'm assuming it's played on guitar but not sure tho. Here is a link to YouTube and Spotify, if anyone has any idea of the effect(s) used in the intro and throughout the song I would greatly appreciate.
Cheers Jeroen

Might be a few things. My guesses would be 1) Auto Wah 2) Envelope filter 3) Some phaser.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I do remember "Pete Drake and His Talking Steel Guitar" from the early 1960s. He had a hit with a cover version of the Brenda Lee song "I'm Sorry."

IF the recording was from the first half of the 1960s, then my money is on talkbox.