What effect is this??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sheriff, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I believe the Boss GT-XX series muliFX could get you that sound quickly.
    some Rotary, a bit o' Delay some Chorus and the onboard wah pedal with sooo many options would get you there. all in stereo of course.
    and you could easily replicate it on stage.

I have a GT-3 with lots of silly patches. heh.

http://www.boss.info/sound/GT-100/

2. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

This video is a great find. I don't know if you could try to couple a ring modulator pedal with a tremolo pedal, but it turns out that Moog does make a ring modulator pedal that lets you adjust the rate and frequency to create tremolo-type effects with synth-like tones. This demo video for the Moogerfooger Ring Modulator gets close to those sounds toward the end (around 7:30):

This is not a cheap pedal, but it's not any different than the cost of a boutique tremolo or ring modulator pedal. Some of the other pedals in this series might also allow similar types of effects, such as the "Cluster Flux" or "Stage Phaser," etc.

3. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I have a GT-3 too, which I've come to consider as north of terrible, especially for amp modeling, but ironically, I was able to manipulate the Auto Wah on this unit and get a very convincing emulation of the effect in the OP. The Auto Wah has several parameters including a choice between LPF and BPF (low-pass and band-pass filter?) plus, a sensitivity, frequency, peak, rate, depth and level adjustment. With the rate set at about 73 or 75, it really seems to be at the right speed. I added some plate reverb to give a little more spaciousness and it sounds really good. I don't think it's quite as musically resonant as the effect in the OP, but it's obviously not achieved the exact same way.

A little side note: The auto-wah can be adjusted to create a good simulation of a uni-vibe too. The GT-3 doesn't have a univibe effect or a rotary effect built in, so this was a very serendipitous discovery. I may have given myself a couple of reasons to keep this unit.

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Factory preset 33-4 is called Rotary and could be a good starting point.
    but it's been a long time since I've fiddled with the GT-3.

5. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

My Guess? A crybaby with slow sweep into a 2-stage phaser like a DOD 201 or MXR Phase 45 set with maximum rate.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

Might be able to get it with a Harmonix B9 type pedal.

7. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I just found the official patch list and it says the Rotary setting is based on a combination of Auto Wah, Phaser and Trem. Interestingly, I had once combined the phaser and tremolo with the expression pedal to adjust the speed to create my own leslie type of effect. Guess I was on the right track. The GT-3 is certainly a powerful processor, but I'm not very fond of all the deep editing and scrolling required for adjusting the effects.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This lucky guy is using a moog system 55 modular synth, in the day I probapbly would have given some unmentional body parts to get my hands on one of these!!!!! I settled for a Minimoog model D

He is using the guitar as a control voltage to trigger a ring modulator ,and a sample and hold module much the same way as the keyboard.
    To create the vibrato effects he has plugged in a low frequency oscillator with pulse, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, triangle and sinewave wave forms and adjusted the rate control for the rising falling sounds to emulate a vibrato. He may have plugged in multiple oscilators to create the actual sounds you hear.
    the Sample and hold gives you that stepped sequencing effect but is random due to the low frequency wave form modulation and where the sample is monitored from on the waveform.

very cool effects !!!!!!

I have a roland GR55 guitar synth that uses midi to control the synths in my studio ans well as the on board sounds , I love it and I have a blast playing it. it does many of the same effects created on this video, especially when I hook it up to the Arturia moog 55 virtual synth.

I want to thank you for posting the video I really enjoyed it,
    I hope I was not too technical in the explanation above

9. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

I wanna thank you also that was very helpfull and understanding! :D

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking it's simply a Danelectro electric sitar with a bit of modulation (chorus or phaser).

Unless you mean the keyboard, that's going through a fast phaser/univibe/rotary type thing. At least I think that's a keyboard.

There's also a third sound, synth playing pads.

11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I think chorus/flanger and a lot of EQing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.