What effect is this??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sheriff, Dec 18, 2014.

1. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

listening to McFadden & Whitehead i heard this cool effect at 0:05/0:07 !!:eek:

Anyone knows what this EXACTLY is???:)

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sound like a synth to me not a pedal effect.

3. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I'm guessing it's a maxed out chorus pedal or rack unit. JMHO

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds like a wah into a vibrato (chorus w/o the dry signal), or maybe a flanger, to me

5. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

Well Bobby Eli always used different effects with each other.
    That's what's makes this a good challenge!
    I still think it is an guitar and not a synth..

6. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I concur. You could probably get that sound with this combination.

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I have no idea how they are getting that effect but I really like the format op& the question. One of these every couple days might be fun and educational.

8. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Howz about a leslie ramped up fast? If I had one I'd give it a try it for this sound. In real life I have the wah, vibrato and even Flanger. Maybe I'll give it a try for myself.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I sometimes do a vibrato thing with my foot on my wah - moving my foot up and down super fast on the high range of the wah. It sounds kinda like that; very keyboard-like. Not sure if that's what it is, but I could approximate that sound with my wah combined with my chorus pedal.

10. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Sounds like either guitar or keyboard thru a Leslie cabinet. Maybe a little wah, here & there. But the main warbling effect sounds like a rotary Leslie.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

in the mid 70 there was a pedal called a Univox univibe that I had that had a 5 position rotory knob that had a wah effect similar to an auto wah with a rate control and you used the pedal to create a sweep effect over the auto wah it sounded very similar to this effect, Dave gilmour used some thing similar on dark side of the moon the lead solo on the track before brain damage , but he used a guitar synth and a custom guitar by bill lewis out of vancouver B.C.

12. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

That would be a good idea!
    In that case i should find some other really strange effects wich i can't identify:D

13. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

I'm curious about what sounds you get.
    I thought about a Mutron III in the down position, with in front of it an tremolo pedal.
    Now... i've got an original Mutron but... hehe:D not a tremolo:oops:
    I could pick a chord and quickly turn my volume pot.
    That must do the trick and if it sounds cool i must buy a tremolo.. or maybe i already should!:rolleyes:

14. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dang.... well I loves me an auto-wah with some Univibe thrown on top. That is a great idea.

By the way, I bought the Fulltone MDV-3 "Mini-Deja Vibe" earlier this year. What a great Univibe inspired pedal! The design feature with the ON / OFF button, which can be selected WITHOUT altering the treadle sweep position, IS SO NEEDED!

I haven't heard such a cool warbling with boiling bass womp ever...... great tones and great controls..... (last pedal on the right)

[​IMG]

15. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Original Mutron! I'm Jealous :D I'll trade you a tremolo pedal for it :twisted:

16. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

uhmmm .. no! haha :D

On the album McFadden & Whitehead there's a song called i've been pushed aside.
    In theversus you can hear there is a Mutron in the act.
    Of course there where more autofilters at the time BUT, this one in on the down position!
    As far as i know Mutron was the only one at the time that had a down position.
    So that already confirmes that they had one and used it on the album.

17. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I think there's a similar effect in a couple of Bread songs, such as at the beginning of "If":

And in "Diary" in the bridge (about :35 in):

I always thought it was an envelope filter or wah perhaps with tremolo (or leslie) played at the same time.

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

It does sound like a ramped up Lesie or chorus type device. You can hear it through a good portion of the song.

19. sheriff

sheriff TDPRI Member

You're a genius!!
    I did some searching and found an interview from bread, take a look at this part:

I knew what I wanted to do with it musically, but I didn't know where to plug in all the cords and twist the dials. Later on "If", we also got Paul to come over and that was one of the very first times a guitar had been played through a synthesizer. Up until that time you could only use a keyboard. But I wanted to run this electric guitar through the synthesizer. And that is an effect on "If" of two synthesizers going back and forth - two tone generators bouncing off of each other to get that little sort of tremolo wa-wa effect. I remember when Paul packed it up and went home, he said, 'I hope you liked that because I could never get that again.' It's the way that they triggered each other back and forth.

After that i found THIS (look at 6:45) >

Can somebody explain what is actually happens there as i don't really know anything about guitar synth's???
    Is there a other way to get that sound??

20. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

That sound was everywhere in the Decade of Decadence. I am involuntarily retching right now. If for some unknown reason, I wanted to reference it while playing, I would get that wah pedal going back and forth as fast as I possibly could. No tremolo or phase shifter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.