1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What dressing tosses your salad?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Mm. Botulinum is pretty rare, but if you do get it, it can kill you. In food service establishments, fresh garlic in any kind of oil or lipid is a critical health department violation.

For home use, the USDA recommends the addition of an acid (lemon juice, in your case), and stored below 41°F for no more than seven days.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Just before I left Toronto for the west coast I discovered (actually it was discovered by a friend) a Greek place...a little hole in the wall...with fantastic food for very little $....the plate was overflowing!! I love an overflowing plate!! Souvlaki...roasted potatoes....Greek salad...OMG!! I only got the chance to eat there a few times before I moved....I still think about that place from time to time...lol. That's one of the (few) pleasures of living in a large cosmopolitan city...FOOD!!...from all over the world. I miss that a lot.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Oh! I'd buy the goat feta, for sure. Goats are cool.

4. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Sometimes I like to have a "salad" with my piles of bacon bits and cheese. Healthy by name only lol.

5. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Undressed salad reminds me of my mother-in-law: all green and wrinkled!:eek::rolleyes:

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hope this hasn't been mentioned yet but in addition to real dressings (generally oil/vinegar variants) I like to use some Herdez Salsa. Herdez is the right consistency and comes in a fairly good number of flavors. For me there are some salad ingredients that wouldn't mesh well, but I'll work around that.

7. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

8. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Yep! More pics to come!

9. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

3 parts Olive oil
    1 part Balsamic
    salt n pepper
    a little Dijon mustard

shake it up and pour

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Cheap and easy. Olive oil and vinegar ( go easy on the vinegar).

11. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

3D314C1C-8B2C-413F-99B9-C35FFC659C62.jpeg

Ranch.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I do really miss that too, Maine has great food but not much international representation.

While NYC was great for that it also had a lot of copycat food hawkers that white folks thought was great, and NYC food hype is huge.
    Going to try a new trendy foreign foods joint I often felt like Americans are poorly qualified to judge cuisine from foreign countries!
    Thai food is both super pop in America and also super faked up by entrepreneurs.
    My sense in NYC was that not many Ethnic restaurants were really authentic, and that New Yorkers were not as expert as they imagined themselves to be!
    There was a street on the lower East side that was a string of Indian places, and everybody of course had a preference for which was best.
    I noticed one night that in the back there was a door connecting one to the competitor next door!
    I tend to snoop a little because I partially judge food by the facial expressions on the kitchen staff.
    I've often claimed I can tell by tasting the food, whether or not it was "lovingly prepared".
    Friends I dine out with usually laugh at me and insist that's ridiculous, but I know it to be a fact!
    Of course love doesn't always show as a smile, but bitter and resentful does show on the faces of workers in the back room who are not hired for their ability to be friendly and cheery.
    I'm sorry but racism is a factor in Americans eating foreign foods!
    Wait staff are akin to servants, while also being somewhat intimate in terms of what we do with the stuff they bring us.

Interestingly, I found Southeast Asian food in Lowell was more often superb than in NYC.
    There was no "Southeastasiantown", but there was and is a big immigrant population from Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam.
    Just amazing foods and almost no hype around it.
    One smaller place had an underage waitress we often talked with on slow nights.
    Turned out she was 14 and her Aunt was the owner operator cook.
    As she told the story, she and her Aunt had lived on selling food in the open air multi ethnic markets in Southeast Asia where I guess borders meant little or nothing, and cuisines sometimes mixed. The girl had no other family in her home area.
    I don't know how they got the money to make it to America, and the Aunt hardly spoke English.
    I'm not even sure which ethnicity they were, and it seems there really is a strong mixed cuisine orientation in that area, more than there is Thai food and Vietnamese food and Cambodian food.
    Took some time but the international human connection possible in foreign food establishments is very cool, and I/ we ended up having a sense that they cooked just for us, as if family, with shared love.

Many dishes Americans love are sort of entry level not too freaky.
    Have to dig deep fort the freaky stuff that's more the real thing in those cultures.
    Accepting the freaky is a part of family and a part of love!
    Not easy for me personally, trying freaky food, but well worth the risk!

boneyguy likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not familiar with that particular salsa, but I do often put one or more hot sauces into non lettuce salads.
    Two are red and yellow sriracha's, and the other is a chunky hot pepper relish.
    Those go in stuff like tuna or chicken with the larger content being shredded carrots and avocado, plus the usual home made lemon and EVOO with garlic dressing.

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm surprised no one's posted this yet. Y'all are slacking.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.