1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What dressing tosses your salad?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Mar 2, 2021.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Let's not forget there is a whole world of "salad". Once summer rolls around, I dream of watermelon salad, with feta:

[​IMG]

^^^ Just some olive oil and wine vinegar...

Nubs and rcole_sooner like this.
  2. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I've tried to like bleu cheese, really. I just can't get past the smell and taste of it.

uriah1 and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

There was a time, a very short time, when I liked some dressing, and tried making it myself with deluxe $$ bleu cheese.
    Sort of like waking up to find you're in bed with some stranger you met with your beer goggles on.
    Not that I know what that's like but I saw it on TV!

Anyhow, the moment of OMG what is this foul stinking stuff I'm eating?!?!

Maybe I had found the goldilocks cheese one time and never again?
    Could also be, once again, beer goggles dull the taste senses and we think we like stinky foods we would never eat sober?

I cooked in a pretty expensive Boston restaurant that had a wide range of veal dishes, and that was their flagship specialty.
    Nicks Comedy Stop, booked big or bigger comedians in the fine dining establishment.
    "Tender milk fed veal" was on the menu in easily ten places.
    I was prepping on a 14 hour shift and making up veal fillets, pounding them thin then egg & breading, and something seemed funny.
    Asked the chef why this veal didn't look like the veal I was familiar with?
    The chef casually admitted it was pork.

Drinking covers many sins!

KyAnne and Mr Green Genes like this.
  4. telemnemonics

In my mind I'm 70% of the way there but I can't make that last 30%!
    Feta I have short romances with, and when I buy it I go for solid rather than crumbled, but seldom manage to finish a package.
    Best as a very small garnish, where I may just use too much.
    Sweet & salty/ sour I don't have a taste for, not sure why.
    The sweetness of carrots in a salty sour salad is wonderful though and plenty for my own taste chemistry.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I put a knife to the romaine lettuce and cut those big veins out, I do not care to eat the rabbits' share of the romaine. I then tear it by hand into manageable pieces and wash it well.

I don't add all the other vegetables but use shaved parmesan and croutons that I soften up.

The Ken's light Caesar dressing has become my standard, but there is a brand named Cardini's that I use every now and then that is quite good.

I used to go to the Olive Garden for lunch with an older gent that loved to go there for the soup and salad. The dressing grew on me and I've bought it a few times.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

I guess it's not for everyone. I've always loved feta and prefer goat feta. I buy it in blocks in brine -- if you want it crumbled that what yer fingers are for! There's usually a tub in the fridge and it never goes bad from disuse.

Feta, toasted walnuts, cucumber, tomato and tzatziki in a pita -- ecstasy!

telemnemonics and Colo Springs E like this.
  7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Red wine vinaigrette.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I might try feta crumbles...but keep forgetting at grocery store.

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Right you are. I was picturing some Ameri-Greek monstrosity I'd seen in a bowl the other day.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Costco. Two pounds cost what two small tubs of crumbles cost. It does fine in the freezer.

uriah1 likes this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I shall read up on this. I occasionally use fresh garlic and mince it, otherwise from a jar of minced garlic in OO.

12. BigDaddyLH

Unless you can buy local. There's a goat farm down the road from me that makes the best feta.

[​IMG]

And even more amazing is their gelato. No, it doesn't taste goaty, just creamy and delicious!

[​IMG]

rcole_sooner and telemnemonics like this.
  13. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Alright man, you're gonna have to show me more pics of that tele in your avatar. Is that a coral lefty with a pearl pick guard?

Got me curious now...

14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

About 35 years ago I created my own dressing. It's very simple...5 ingredients. And everyone who has tried it loves it and wants the recipe. I don't want anything else on my salads at home. If I'm out to eat then I enjoy Cesar salad or just a simply oil & vinegar type dressing. I'm convinced that I should have marketed my dressing....it's really that good.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

Is one of the ingredients miso? Miso dressings rock.

16. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I've made miso dressings before and they're good....I really like miso. But, no, my magic dressing doesn't have miso....the ingredients are olive oil/grapeseed oil, garlic, black pepper, balsamic vinegar and (the secret ingredient) Braggs Liquid Aminos which is somewhat similar to soy sauce but much more refined, not so salty or sweetened. The proportions are the key!
    [​IMG]

telemnemonics and BigDaddyLH like this.
  17. telemnemonics

Hmmm, does that neurotoxin case the growth of extra stuff like multiple fingers toes ears and noses?
    That explains a lot!
    Been making OO/lemon/garlic dressings since the 1960s.
    Always refrigerated though, aside from sitting out long enough to let the EVOO liquefy.
    Back in the '60s the OO didn't say extra virgin that I recall, but we got Filippo from Italy and I recall there was the darker expensive bottle and the lighter cheaper bottle, so we had the dark stuff.
    I'll say that I'm somewhat of a germophobe, which may help, and For sure I don't leave it out on a sunny summer dinner table to get warm.

18. telemnemonics

I used to put that s#!t on everything for a few years, then I just stopped.
    Never added it to salad dressing though?
    Now I'm thinking of the mysteriously delicious Japanese salad dressing made with lets see, a dash of sesame oil, and probably rice vinegar but very much lemon juice.

I'm so damn in love with fresh squeezed lemon juice it's a miracle I have any OEM teeth left!
    Lemons and garlic are the core things I hafta have in the house, and get nervous when the store runs out.

When I got off the dope I was somewhat of a holocaust survivor, so I took to studying health and got busy.
    The Braggs was an easy addition, and I was eating lots of fresh chopped or grated ginger root as well, but the ginger use dropped off.
    Chronic pain including osteoarthritis was a part of the motivation to consume health promoting foods and eliminate life sucking garbage from my diet.

For a while though I got my groceries direct from the Devil himself!

19. telemnemonics

I love me some Greek food (and a nice Greek girl tossed my salad for ten years) but like any ethnic food you need to go to a legit source.
    Lived in Lowell MA for some years where Greeks were one of the first immigrant groups to build it up in the industrial revolution, and while melted into the pot they also kept a solid old worldy community near as I could tell.
    One place we ate a lot that was all Greeks all the time had just amazing food, cheap, real belly dancers coming round to each table, live bands with I later learned a world famous Oud player and world famous drummer, excellent bouzouki player and singers.
    Tried to nail that salad dressing and never quite succeeded, but with a big dinner down the street for ten bucks plus great bands no cover, why make dressing when they can toss it for you?

M2roadwarrior and boneyguy like this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Oh-my

Depends on the mood

Balsamic vinaigrette is pretty good but Italian is doable

If I’m in the cream mood then blue cheese or French

Need pepperoni slices and those little green/yellow peppers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.