1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What dressing tosses your salad?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ill either have creamy italian or oil and malt vinegar

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Newman’s Balsamic Vinaigrette. Easy to find pretty much anywhere, and quite delicious.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

We are still fans of Wishbone ' Zesty Italian', Ken's ( Lite) Caesar Dressing
    And I think Newman's Own

I still have '1980's, Pizza Hut salad bar' flashback moments where I want the following items on my salad greens:
    - shredded carrots
    - three-bean salad
    - pickled beet slices
    - cucumber slices
    - a tablespoon of potato salad
    -croutons
    - THOUSAND ISLAND dressing!

4. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Balsamic vinaigrettes are my go-to, but I like pomegranate vinaigrette ... and Wendy's Apple Pecan salad is one of my favorites

5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Catalina, zesty Italian, and Caesar. I like blue cheese crumbles on my salad.

When making a salad at home for lunch at work (which I should do more often!) I use one of the above. I also add a few capers, chopped gherkin pickle, and maybe some olives or Kim chee if I have some in the fridge! Carrot is shredded on box grater!

6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

blue cheese.. even good for a side of fries dipped in blue cheese. yum yum yum

you know its the same bacteria in some cheese thats on your feet and why some cheese smells like FEET :)

7. rdjones

rdjones TDPRI Member

Bleu cheese.

I 'dislike' anything vinegar based, or with enough vinegar in it where I can taste it.
    Same goes for BBQ or hot sauce.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The ingredients, though largely similar, are in differing proportions. This gives a different flavour, texture and smell. The acidity of salad cream can really help bring out certain flavours, but I'll admit it'd mask or overwhelm others. Blended with tomato puree, smoked paprika and a touch of smoked garlic is one of my favourites to make for a side with a fish salad.

I really don't like mayonnaise.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  9. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Most usually, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
    Sub in red or white wine vinegar for a change, maybe with wholegrain or French mustard when using white.
    Big fan of nicoise dressing made with white wine vinegar, wholegrain mustard, lemon and a pinch of sugar.

Is leaf talk OT? In order of preference, I like rocket, romaine, and iceberg at a push (though very acceptable in nicoise or Caesar)

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

First choice is almost always blue cheese. Caesar is good too. Occasionally, when in a Jewish deli, I have to get a Cobb salad with Russian dressing. They are one of the few types of restaurants that normally carry Russian dressing.

11. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like a good caesar dressing. I also like the Olive Garden dressing they now sell in grocery stores.

When I was a kid I ate green goddess dressing all the time. Can't remember the last time I had any of that!

I do not like a 'regular' caesar salad--just a bunch of lettuce?? What a rip off. I put cucumbers, tomatoes and red onions in my caesar salad.

Newman's Caesar is good too!

tattypicker likes this.
  12. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Lol. Caesar was probably my gateway salad - and a bunch of lettuce would not have got me there. Add fried bread, marinated fish, grilled chicken, bacon, cream and cheese - now you're talking!

Colo Springs E likes this.
  13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

For coleslaw I keep it simple, use the packaged shredded cabbage, some mayo, some sweetener (we use splenda), and a bit of celery seed. The original recipe called for red wine vinegar, but I was out one time and didn't really notice much of a difference.

If I doing it for say use on tacos, I will add some Cumin and/or Tapatio.

[​IMG]

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  14. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I eat a cabbage salad nearly every night. Thinly sliced cabbage, crunchies and ranch. Cabbage is healthful.
    During garden season it's a lot of garden greens.

telemnemonics and Colo Springs E like this.
  15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

First off: Pre-made dressing is for chumps. Overpriced crap, made usually with soy oil, the cheapest, and most unhealthy of oils. I only use home made. Olive oil, different vinegars for different taste, garlic salt, Italian spice mix. Add blue cheese, ketchup, soy/sesame, mustard, etc., for variety.

Secondly: I don't understand what BDLH is saying here. Is Caesar so good it makes people who don't like salad eat it anyway? Or is it such crap, that people make it, then toss it in the rubbish, cause they won't eat it? o_O I love a real Caesar!

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I make my own with EVOO, fresh squeezed lemon juice, lots of chunks of garlic too big to get through the hole in a used salad dressing or olive oil bottle, and salt. If the lemons are scarce of I just want to shift the flavor I'll add balsamic or wine vinegar in place of part of the lemon juice.

Super easy to make and the base lasts for weeks in the refrigerator, maybe once a month I toss the garlic, wash the bottle, and cut a pile of fresh garlic.
    Store bought almost always has sugar I don't want or need, cheap oils, and mystery freeze dried stuff.
    I've added things like oregano and that's nice but not really needed on a salad. Gets closer to the classic Greek dressing though, the kind served in Greek restaurants where mostly Greeks eat.
    Real Italian dressing might be similar but I'm not sure I've ever really had the equivalent of what an Italian would make for their family.

17. telemnemonics

Hahahahahahaha I was on the first page and didn't see this!
    Mainers, can't just accept industrial products, just hafta do it ourselves and make it better!

WRT Caesar, I used to make Caesar dressing in a top shelf Boston joint with fine imported Parmesan and whole anchovies we puree'd in house etc.
    Pretty good stuff! But a salad with the only greens being romaine?
    I can see pointing a finger at those unhip diners who think a bowl of romaine is a legit salad.
    Also depends on the venue and how far down the head the chop the "lettuce", where the white inner crunchy part has almost no nutrition but serves to carry a big comforting dose of cheese and heavy cream masquerading as a healthy vegetable meal.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Blue Bill likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm dissing the caesar salad. Only lettuce and such a heavy dressing it's all you taste. And anchovy? Whaaaa??? I like a salad with tons of veggies, nuts, seeds and a bit a fruit.

Blue Bill and telemnemonics like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

^^^ What he said!

Blue Bill and telemnemonics like this.
  20. telemnemonics

That's like posting in a modeling amp thread that digital sucks!
    Besides, who dumps bleu cheese in the shower and walks on it?

KyAnne likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.