1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What does Punk mean to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Oct 23, 2020.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I just stumbled into London late '77 after spending 7 mths driving around Europe/nth Africa with friends looking for surf and adventure in a Kombi...
    It was getting cold so we went back to London to work the winter and try and save some cash to go off again in the spring... no idea of what was going on local music wise... except the hope to see some big name acts while there...

I got a live in job at a south London Pub for a while then moved to an inner west London place with the other guys and got work with them at the Mars Factory...

any spare time I got I hit the clubs/pubs/concert venues in town...going to all sorts of gigs, often getting the last tube/bus part way home and walking the rest.......

A fortunate traveler.... stepping into Punk London and joining in....:D:cool:

2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

No kidding! That anecdote could be an anecdote from Forrest Gump, as far as just happening to be there at just the right time!

trev333 likes this.
  3. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Everything.

gimmeatele and Manual Slim like this.
  4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Anger is an energy?

Ivyjane likes this.
  5. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Late 70's UK was punk. The Flys, Sham 69, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, Invisible Girls, John Cooper Clarke, 999... So many great bands in that category.

gimmeatele and radiocaster like this.
  6. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge Tele-Meister

To me, Punk is Kn'up spelt backwards.;)

offsideref likes this.
  7. Manual Slim

“Recordings are just a tool of the consumption industry.”
    Maybe so, but I certainly wouldn’t disparage the importance of tools.

offsideref likes this.
  8. Manual Slim

Totally! Me in my chinos and lamb sweater really gets to the heart of punk fashion. Glad to be a part of it!

9. Manual Slim

Good lawd. I just want to make an unholy racket to help me sleep at night.

stale facet likes this.
  10. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[QUOTE="donrichfan, post: 10189202,I always thought Steve Jones was the real rock n roller and deserved another band.[/][/QUOTE]
    Dude! Only made one but it’s great! 1996 Steve Jones, Duff Mckagan, Matt Sorum and John Taylor.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    donrichfan likes this.
  11. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Punk is the ultimate contradiction; sometimes its brilliant music with too many ******* fans, mostly it's atrocious music with the best fans ever. Rarely both in my experience.

12. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Punk was the only real avant-garde/vanguard musical art form, IMO. Punk was a lifestyle, an attitude, a nihilistic philosophy without the intellectualism. Punks hated everything, esp. themselves. Punk represents the total abandonment of the system, hatred of the love of money. Stoners need not apply. To punks, the only thing of value was self-expression.

Some of the early punks, like The Clash, the B-52s, Blondie, and DEVO, for example, almost qualify, but they sold out and eventually morphed into New Wave. Honest punks never left the gutter, never became mainstream.

One of my favorite punk bands was Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band. Their biggest hit was Boogie 'til You Puke. Slim was actually a frat brother of a future president at Yale, but he hated that bunch. He finished Yale, formed a band, and for a long time struggled with schizophrenia and alcoholism. He never had any respect for the monied elite. He died young, drunk, and mentally ill. Sad story.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    CV Jee Beez likes this.
  13. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I'm so far removed from my punk days but, it dominated my early life and was how I made most of my friends in my teen to early adult years.

Punk for me was the place where the outsiders had a place to fit in and once you got there could feel belonging.

Punk for me is void of materialistic concerns.

I'll always be fond of the surrogate family I found through punk.

I'm proud that even though I'm in midlife, a family man, homeowner, and drive a luxury car, I haven't totally succumbed to the money making machine. I'm content and not constantly trying to get more.

Punk will always be a part of my identity (just not outwardly anymore).

Thanks to OP.

gimmeatele likes this.
  14. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Musically, traditionally, it varies between aggressive, confrontational, satirical, loud rock-n-roll, and sometimes noisy extremes. I think the overall ethos could probably be described as "against" or "anti".

Socially, I'd see it as an individual in opposition to status quo and the social norm, and sometimes a criminally free-spirited individual (ie: punk-ass thug). These days, i see it being used as more of an excuse to do little to nothing interesting or creatively productive with themselves.

It's all been terribly convoluted though, so it really is subject to people's individual definition of punk. It used to mean rotten and of poor quality. Like "that wood girder looks punk".

It means nothing to me.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  15. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

cyclopean likes this.
  16. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When punk was emerging in '77 I was studying guitar at Berklee. It was a jazz school back then so fads like Punk & Disco weren't tolerated. The only non-jazz music the school acknowledged at the time was Steely Dan's Aja. That album blew everyone away.

When you're spending a ton of money and time studying music, you don't waste it on fads. Glad I missed it. I'm still playing jazz.

DekeDog and TwangBrain like this.
  17. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Steve Jones and Paul Cook formed the Professionals in '79.

cyclopean likes this.
  18. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

For me: The Jam, The Clash, The Buzzcocks, The Ramones and the Police stood above the rest.

The New York Dolls did give us David Johansen playing Buster Poindexter and singing "Hot, Hot, Hot." No thanks!

19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You never went to the 100 club, or a UK Subs gig did you?

20. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Punk ......a fad ? I don’t think so, it spawned a whole new ethos in the way young people looked at music which probably led many to actually pick up an instrument in the first place. It is part of music culture, when rock n roll first hit the airwaves in the 50’s, would you call that a fad, it’s still here ?
    You are a jazz snob, and many would say be bop was a fad !
    I studied music at the Royal Academy in London and punk rock was a breath of fresh air.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.