1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What does Punk mean to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Thereby increasing the Ramones status as something closer to underground, and gaining them more actual real-deal punk street credibility, as opposed to McLaran boybands :cool:

aging_rocker likes this.
  3. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

It was definitely the Buzzcocks I saw live (at NE London Polytechnic) although in 76 they may not yet have been fully fledged. Not sure about that but according to wiki thats the year they formed.

I'll open my mind to the Pistols once more having been a bit dismissive of them musically. I'll dust off my picturedisc 45s of Pretty Vacant and God Save the Queen. Unplayed for 40+ years. Where did the time go?

johnny k likes this.
  4. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

i love punk. it was great

like all popular movements, it imploded but not before a host of band-wagon-jumpers made hay

i could list loads of bands, and i might be accused of parking my Punk Tanks on the lawn of New Wave, Pub Rock, etc

but right down at the very core, punk is whatever the hell you want it to be

for me, if i was asked to define punk, it would be this

Ek2md-LWkAE0CLw.jpg

5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What does it mean to me ? In general a lot of noise and little talent ,although there are exceptions.

DekeDog likes this.
  6. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Yes disco was dominant in the mainstream youth culture at the time. There were disco clubs that were allright but in most of them an atmosphere of agression and cockiness was prominent. If you asked the wrong girl to dance you were risking a week in hospital or worse. And the unspoken rule was that if you wanted to dance you should dance with a girl and the boy should ask the girl. So on the side of the dancefloor nervous boys were standing there trying to find the courage to ask a girl to dance.
    Through friends in the neo punk and new wave scene I discovered disco clubs where punks and blitz people danced to danceable new wave music and early forerunner of house music. And compared to the mainstream disco clubs there was an atmosphere of freedom an tolarance. And if people wanted to dance they danced, alone or in pairs. That was the Netherlands in the city back then.

offsideref and loopfinding like this.
  7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I've always viewed the Stooges as the beginning of punk, and never really could relate to british punk bands. If I had bought into the idea that 77 was the beginning, or that the pistols were real punk, I would be very disappointed in everything about Johnny Lydon. But I'm not surprised. The most important thing about punk, imo, was creating a business model and market for less commercial music.

MilwMark likes this.
  8. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

The Ramones and their ilk were relatively small fish in the vast pond that is the US music scene but when their punk attitude was seeded in the uk it was embraced by a disaffected youth and made a bigger splash in a smaller pond. London has often acted as an amplifier this way. Same with the British Blues wave. It goes both ways though.

BerkshireDuncan and mrfitz98 like this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

“The first, and most frequently violated rule of Punk is that there are no rules”

-Unk.

“I always thought a punk was somebody who took it up the *** in prison”

-William S Burroughs

EllroyJames likes this.
  10. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

I like how punk shook up the British folk scene. Shane McGowan was punk rock before the Pogues. Prior to them, British folk music was finger in the ear Ewan McColl and Streets of London Ralph McTell. The Incredible String Band was about as wild as it got. The Pogues kicked in the door and ventilated an incredibly stuffy scene. Who at that time would imagine folk music could deliver such riotous abandon!

11. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The idea that the Pistols were manufactured is rubbish, like a lot of the other opinions on here regarding certain bands that were "punk'.
    The New York Dolls, The Velvets, Stooges, MC5, Standells, even the Doors etc were certainly a catalyst for the later 'scene' as all the mid 70's bands both in the UK and the States cited them as major influences, the moniker that was attached to the scene was fabricated by a journalist for a NY fanzine called 'Punk" to accompany the CBGB explosion of bands at that particular time.
    Unfortunately as with all movements, a bandwagon ethos ensues and every Tom Dick and Harry exploits it and it becomes a parody of itself and what it actually stands for in the first place.
    If you ask me what bands are Punk, there are very few, The Damned, Ramones, Clash, and yes The Pistols.
    Everyone else....naah !

Peegoo and notmyusualuserid like this.
  12. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

The Viletones.

13. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Dr Feelgood weren't a punk band, they were good old four on the floor RnB

Ghostdriver likes this.
  14. notmyusualuserid

Ever listen to Nazareth, or Horslips? :)

15. notmyusualuserid

Anyway, punk would have kicked this navel gazing thread in the bollocks and stamped on its head. It's everything that punk was rebelling against.

Think about that.

Jimclarke100 and MyLittleEye like this.
  16. MickoConCarne

MickoConCarne TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

The only band that matters, The Clash

17. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

When I started playing, you had to play either Disco or Punk to get gigs and I wasn't going to play Disco. Also with Punk there was a kind of freedom, anything goes, and it gave me the courage to start writing songs. Our singer couldn't really sing and I could barely play (but we had a great drummer and that really helped) and somehow it was all OK. You didn't have to have any certain kind of equipment, you didn't have to dress a certain way. Our first gig was a private party. We had 4 original tunes and we played those four tunes over and over all night long. Everybody had a great time.

offsideref, MilwMark and mexicanyella like this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

pro·gen·i·tor
    /prōˈjenədər/

noun
    1. a person or thing from which a person, animal, or plant is descended or originates; an ancestor or parent.
      "His sons and daughters were the progenitors of many of Scotland's leading noble families."

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Emotion=8
    Anger=10
    Skill=3

offsideref likes this.
  20. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Proto punk:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.