1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What does Punk mean to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Oct 23, 2020.

1. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I find it pretty comical that 239 people have posted on this topic. I'm sure most of you were playing Doobie Bros covers back around that time. If you were even born yet...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I don’t work on Wall Street but I can tell you what it means to me. The guy didn’t ask “where were you in ‘76?”

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I really want to agree with this. In theory I might even say I do, but maaan them variables. Inspired by the thread I watched The Decline of Western Civilization and I think I would rather hear Hitch a Ride than anything by the Germs.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Would you guys consider "Green Day" as Punk?

5. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Labeling something as punk is not really punk. :cool:

6. Ivyjane

Ivyjane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Anyway, I'm an ex manc, but too young to remember the punk scene.

But in 1976, The Sex Pistols, played a gig at the "Lesser Free Trade Hall" on June 4th.

This is one of the most important gigs of all time. There were 42 people at the gig.

From 24 hour party people:

Also there was Morissey in attendance. While Johhny Marr wanted to go he was a little two young.

I think what English punk triggered matters more.

post script: I remember seeing Joy Division as a kiddo when they made their first appearance on Granada TV

CV Jee Beez and offsideref like this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I do but remember, after London Calling and Sandinista , there’s a lot of folks who didn’t consider The Clash “punk”.

Tommy Biggs and offsideref like this.
  8. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Punk as a term was applied/misapplied to so many types of music, it became pretty meaningless... I love the days of The RAMONES and early Blondie... great edgy music, “punk,” if you will, but with great respect for old pop rock, bubble gum, comic books, and all. Ya had the “angry young men,” Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson that got lumped in there, etc...am still a big fan of Costello’s new stuff, he “grew” like The Beatles did...he’s a genius...a wordy one, but he still brings it in his current form 43 years later

offsideref likes this.
  9. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

As someone from a younger demographic than most in this thread, punk is much different to me. I got hooked on punk music watching skate videos in the 90’s and continue to love it.

10. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

It means to be white and on dope!:confused:

11. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

In a nutshell, The Stooges, not The Sex Pistols.

cyclopean and glenlivet like this.
  12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I was born in '84....missed the original punk phase. However, I got caught in a rabbit hole one day and watched hours of Johnny Rotten interviews through the years. I learned to play guitar by listening to my dad's Waylon & Willie albums. I LOVE Johnny Rotten/ John Lyndon interviews. He's way smarter than he gets credit for and most people he's talking to. I don't listen to Sex Pistols or punk rock, but I love Johnny Rotten.

So, while trying really hard to refrain from politics here, going by his standard means anti establishment.

Does that mean you are just anti- whatever is the establishment?

Does that mean you are just anti- the establishment at the moment?

What if what you are fighting for becomes the norm? Did you win or become an anarchist?

I love his take on things from 1980 to 2020...he recently caught hell for wearing a shirt that picked a political side. Do you think he changed or punk changed?

offsideref likes this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Well, this will just get people mad at me, but the truth is that I always found punk to be mostly a silly poser trend. Both PiL and the Clash were as much determined commercial products as the Monkees or Strawberry Alarm Clock. In the US, particularly, the self-described punks were often middle class or higher stylers; poor, working kids were poor working kids and not about to have the resources to do the punk thing. I respect the few genuine punk musicians, with the emphasis on "few." I don't mean to offend, but this was my experience.

offsideref and DekeDog like this.
  14. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

Garage punks sure had attitude.:cool:

15. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

Being true to yourself. Rob Halford coming out was punk, Ozzy shaving his head was punk (I mean, who wants to be David Coverdale the rest of their career, right?), Bad Religion making a prog rock album was the most punk thing they did.

The opening to this song is punk as hell...

"You ain't hardcore 'cause you spike your hair" is probably the most important lyric in NPFO, the rest was just obvious.

16. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Punk was a British misinterpretation of speedy, stripped-down basic major/minor chords only rock and roll. Contrary to most rock fans, I do not believe the Ramones were punk, although they may have spawned the genre via British bands who were impressed by them. The Ramones had long hair, didn't write political songs, didn't spit on people or curse (much), wore Converse tennis shoes, wrote basically humorous pop songs and idolized 60s girl groups. Nonetheless, I have always liked a lot of early punk, especially the British versions.

Tornado likes this.
  17. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle TDPRI Member

DIY...

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

This song has been updated.

19. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Having been a „light“ punk I was happy that the days of simple music where coming. How I dig cowpunk.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  20. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, i love cowpunk too. That is the kind of punk i can relate too !

eddiewagner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.