1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What does Punk mean to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Oct 23, 2020.

1. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

upload_2020-10-23_11-48-16.jpeg Next Wednesday is the 43rd anniversary of the release of “Never mind the bollocks, here’s the Sex Pistols”. If you wander about city centres in the UK (when there’s not a lockdown) you can still occasionally see old geezers my age in punk gear. The full dyed Mohawk might be gone, along with the homemade safety pin face piercings, but the multi-zipped safety pinned leather jacket and Doc Martens have survived.

But, what does Punk mean, when as far back as 2008 we were treated to the sight of Johnny Rotten sorry John Lydon advertising Country Life butter on TV? “You’ll never put a better bit of butter on your knife” indeed. I wonder if Sid and Nancy would have appreciated the irony.

What punk meant to me in 1977, as a budding guitar player, was that we could all stop learning to play like our favourite guitarist, and start just making a noise like one. Which, looking back, was a lot of fun, although maybe not for the audiences, many of whom were gobbing instead of standing about or dancing. It was definitely two years of potential musical education time wasted, when I had way more spare time than I’ve ever had since.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

It wasn’t until I quit after a year of guitar lessons in my teens and started playing along to Punk o Rama compilation CDs instead that I really started falling in love with guitar.

I’m not into punk nearly as much as I was, but I owe a debt of gratitude for helping shape the player I am today. No doubt about it.

Mjea80, matty428, DDickens and 4 others like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's weird how the UK always seems to get the (dubious?) credit for a style movement that started in the US with the Stooges, The Ramones, and others

4. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Not much when it comes to the music itself. Most of the music sounds too one dimensional and grey. In other words pretty boring. I like quite a few of the New Wave bands that came after punk. I had a lot of friends though in The Dutch neo punk scene. Good people.

At the time there were two main scenes in youth culture in the Netherlands. There was the mainstream disco scene and the neo punk scene as the counterculture. The disco scene was very ****ed up and violant. The neo punk scene in general was relaxed and tolerant.

teletail and offsideref like this.
  5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I like the sex pistols, ramones, toy dolls, a few french bands. But i guess the 2nd wave is not for me. Exploited, sham 69, and so on. Or maybe i didn't listen to the right bands.

I just noticed the melody is close to that tune.

Marquee Moon, Matthias and Greggorios like this.
  6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

What does Punk mean to you?

For me, the late 70s early 80 - say the 1975 to 1985 era, to be large...

Crisis ambience, crisis music... Some kind of...

The Sex Pistols, of course, come to mind ! :cool:
    And then all that new-wave, dark wave and post-industrial music ! :cool:
    Bauhaus,:cool:
    The B-52s,:cool:
    Echo and the Bunnymen,:cool:
    Siouxie and the Banshees,:cool:
    Gary Numan,:cool:
    Psychedelic Furs,:cool:
    Lords of the New Church,:cool:
    Ultravox,:cool:
    The Passions,:cool:
    New Musik,:cool:
    Taxi-Girl (France):cool:

Numerous groups from Brescia / Italia : Artfiori...:cool:
    And so many others... I can't remember them all ! :rolleyes::oops:

It was the era of Roland Juno and Jupiter, Prophet 5 and Moog Rogue, EHX, Boss, MXR Chorus and Flanger, BigMuff, ToneBender, Distortion+ ... :cool:

I was 16 and a student in the year 1980 : I remember very well that artistic and stylistic movement - the music, the clothing style, the city...:cool:

I think that now the Punk derived in two (meh) branches : Gothic and Grunge... :lol:o_O
    I may be wrong, but the New-Wave seems to have vanished from the musical landscape of today...:(

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

7. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

upload_2020-10-23_7-26-35.jpeg

8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

To me it means boring most of the times after 10 minutes, especially the 90's punk, i find more interesting the post 70's punk scene, New Wave, No Wave etc......

9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well there is the mass media's version of punk.
    There's the DIY version that makes its own rules regarding what actually going on in the transaction. With regard to chops, gear, playing out, style fashion ,expectations of others.
    There's the music industries version of punk.
    Then there's the wanna be version of what punk is and the fashion aspect, posing and social conformity of a trendy thing and the people that emulate that model from then until now.
    with regard to the punk attitude , it could be said that punk denies the conformity that is expected in our society. Punk can reject those expectations, seeing through the hypocrisy and rejecting lives based on consensus reality , sometimes doing so with arrogance, and hostility , rage , and perhaps without compassion.

Punk is at times dropping out turning of the radio television, going to clubs , not joining /participating in social clubs , organized religion, politics, living an invisible existence based on one's own values. Living as if on an iceberg alone in the middle of an empty sea as demonstrated by Jean Paul Sartre when life magazine asked him to explain existentialism.
    see image

000 iceburg sartre explains.jpg
    Punk could be living without conforming to the judgements of others.
    Punk might include creating transgressive expressions of an individual's feelings.

Punk is an illusory concept broadly defined by and contradictory terms.

Flaneur, cyclopean, skunqesh and 7 others like this.
  10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

An attitude.

The Clash really merged the musical with the attitude and message.
    Not a lot of patience for most other punk bands. Petulant posturings I guess.

The Cash brought it to Folsom prison tho!!

:)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Punk was a musical rebellion of sorts, and it tore down the conventions of rock and roll. Punk showed that a non-musician could pick up a guitar and join a band.
    Punk paved the way for a slicker sound, which became new wave, post-punk, no-wave, etc.

12. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It means many things to me. The DIY ethic was/is important. High energy rock music too.

Musically, when it had been sort of defined, like "this is punk and that's not", it became pretty boring. Not all of it, but most.

When the punk rock police had defined how it should sound, what the lyrics should be, how you should look and what you should think, it had become sort of the antithesis of itself. It's just that the punk rock police hardly ever contributed. Not musically, not stylistically and not by fixing gigs or fanzines. They were more into control and criticizing.

At age 53 I still wear some of the attire almost daily. Spiky hair (natural color though) and the leather jacket (but no pins). Why? Because I like it. Because it fits me. Because it's me.

I also still play in a punk rock band. I still love the early punk rock, but I hardly ever listen to it anymore.

13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Punk ate itself when it became mainstream.

Now it's not dead; it just smells funny.

14. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Oh, you mean all that stuff 40 years ago? I was there in Loisida NYC, c. '76---'86. And it certainly wasn't one thing---there's a world of difference between Talking Heads and early Swans. As far as guitar solos, Verlaine/Lloyd of Television played lots of long solos.

Festofish, matty428 and offsideref like this.
  15. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Punk?

I think politics, anti establishment, youth vs middle age mediocrity, simple/loud music...

It could be music with loud electric guitars copping Chuck Berry...

like Johnny Thunders.

I used to wonder if he was saying Born To Lose or Born too Loose...

but it works both ways.

16. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

what punk means to me...life

its music i enjoy

it shaped my attitude

im still rebellious and angry

but im an individual among the masses

17. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Punk ? ... I never got into it .

18. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bands: Television, NY Dolls, Patti Smith Group, Sex Pistols (of course), Ramones, Stooges, X, Husker Du, Fear, Blondie, Blasters, Clash, Slits, X Ray Spex, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag. What's the common thread?

Economics: DIY. Can't get booked? Find a vacant building, put up posters, borrow a PA. Can't get a record contract? Start your own label. Can't get publicity? Start a zine. Want to tour? Get on the phone and call friends and friends of friends, work the network. At its height punk was a huge underground economy working independently from the mainstream music industry. It was pretty exciting.

"'A guy walks up to me and asks, 'What's Punk?' So I kick over a garbage can and say, 'That's punk!' So he kicks over the garbage can and says, 'That's Punk?' and I say, 'No that's trendy!'" (Billie Joe Armstrong)

19. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Well, before punk, the UK Top 30 was full of stuff like this: the Wombles. The band most likely to tidy a hotel bedroom and drag a Rolls Royce out of the swimming pool.
    upload_2020-10-23_13-40-58.jpeg

20. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.