What does it feel like...POST YOUR Custom Shop Teles!

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Jackobeam, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Oh... my......!

I would give my left...heck both my..(you know what’s) for that 66/67? Sparkle maple cap don rich style tele PLEASE tell me it has checkerboard binding. Mmmmmmmmmm.......

csapo likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Is that the official Clapton model custom shop telecaster

csapo likes this.
  3. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

No. It is a 2002 CS Masterbuilt done by Mark Kendrick. I believe he only made 2 or 3 of these and then the model was put lock down by Fender. Obviously Fender had a lot to work through to produce an official Clapton/Blind Faith signature guitar.

VillainSean and Fretting out like this.
  4. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

5. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

Thanks, I've had a few good years recently.

6. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

CSAPO, that MIA '90s thinline I got some you a while back is still in the family, my singer is using it.

csapo likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Until you got married, right?

The New Mrs. Csapo: "We're not sleeping on the couch anymore just so your guitars can have their own bed!"

Seattlesurfer likes this.
  8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Everytime I play one of my CS instruments after my regular fenders I'm excited how much better their tone and feel is.
    The playability is not better, though. That's just because the neck shape of the mim and mia fenders is already very good.
    But in tone, power and projection, there's no comparision.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I too, would love to have one CS at least.. at the current financial state, I cannot afford one new.. I have to sell both of my teles (I only have two guitars at the moment) to fund a used one.. I can, but Im gonna try not to.

I love vintage spec telecasters and currently the CS ones have 9.5 radius and narrow tall frets.. its not bad, and its definitely not an issue for me.. I just like the feel of a vintage spec AVRI tele.. which I think is as close as I can get to a CS right now..

and I think if I really want those specs, I'd go AO route..

I'm still thinking about it.. I cannot buy new.. so it'll have to be used.. but it needs to be a heck of a Telecaster for me to sell both or trade up to it.. and fortunately, if I do sell both my tele's, I can order a Ron Kirn for a brand new spanking new telecaster that I can spec out.

From a lot of people that have bought CS stuff, they say its a really good option, and it plays absolutely phenomenal, but its just a bit of a step up from current production ones unless I buy a Masterbuilt.. not sure how much of this is true though..

Theres only one Telecaster I am jonesing for that I can sell my number AVRI and my number 2 for..

wide fade chocolate burst custom telecaster..

[​IMG]

https://reverb.com/item/19179894-fe...elecaster-custom-wide-fade-chocolate-sunburst

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find that wood selection and finish are the main things. And of course that you can get what you want, if you're ordering and waiting.

Wood and finish interest me a lot, because those are the only two things that can't be modded, without completely changing the guitar (all different wood, is it the same guitar? I'll say "no").

But, if you like vintage specs, the 2012+ American Vintage series is about as close as you can get. The finish is equally good, but without any relicing that you might have got with the CS. The wood is not as good, but hey, it's certainly not bad!

I had one CS WW10 '52, but sold it because I never could bond with that one. Loved the neck grain, though, and I like quartersawn necks in general.

I also still own two CS Strats (57 and 63), and yeah, they're real nice. But when it came time to buy the similar Teles... I went with AVs, and have absolutely no regrets. I didn't feel the need to pay an extra grand apiece for quartersawn necks.

IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3783.JPG full case.JPG in case.jpg

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If Esquires count, see my avatar. I'm the original owner; it's a Dec. '02 made-to-spec white guard Esquire with a fairly busy (but not too obnoxious) bird's-eye maple neck. It's what Fender incorrectly calls "Desert Sand" these days (the color was actually called Desert Tan by Fender "back in the day").

I say "made to spec" in that someone ordered it as a one off, as opposed to it being part of a pre-made edition (which is mostly what the CS do these days). In other words, it's one of a kind, not a model that Fender actually designed and released themselves.

I had converted it to a blackguard when I took that photo, but I have it back as a white guard and original Philips screws now. I still haven't bothered to dislodge the milled jack cup that I installed when I had it as a black guard. I am afraid it would take huge chunks out of the finish to pull the press-in cup (it already took some finish off pushing the cup in).

It was custom ordered by a customer of what was my favorite local shop (they are now closed down). But when the guitar came in, the customer backed out. The shop owner knew he'd not have too hard of a time selling it, so he let the guy back out without any trouble. I fell in love with it while home on military leave in 2003. Being a regular customer, I was allowed a helluva a deal, which amounted to me paying not much more than dealer's cost plus tax and shipping. I paid just a few hundred more than a new AVRI.

It's my number one, and has been ever since I bought it in 2003. I have acquired a zillion more guitars since then, but it's still the one that I consider my main go-to.

It came NOS (i.e. zero relic work whatsoever, the way I like 'em). I wish I had taken a little better care of it, as it's really dinged up, and not really in a "tasteful" way on some of the dings. I used to lean it next to my bed all the time, because I played it so much. I dropped my alarm clock on it one time as I was trying to hit the snooze button in my morning stupor, giving it several huge chips on the face of the guitar. Those ones really bug me. I might have it refinished some day before too long (same color).

As for what it feels like...it feels like a very well built version of a very simple design. It's very light, and one of the very best sounding guitars I've ever played (and I have played thousands over 30+ years as a musician and ravenous guitar/bass hobbyist/consumer). That said, the American Vintage Series (late '2012–2017) guitars are just as good, and have thinner, more beautiful finishes (I own seven of them, guitars and basses).

Here it is when I had it set up with a Callaham lacquered black guard and mostly standard head screws. It's a pretty poor reissue in terms of vintage accuracy. It doesn't have all white guard or all black guard specs. Dot spacing, saddle material, screws, jack cup, and decal lettering color are all things that cannot be made compatible for one period or the other. And it came from the factory with Eldred wiring. So it's kind of a faux "reissue," once you really look closely. But it's great, and great looking, nonetheless.

I keep it strung up with Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies (11–54), but with a 22 or 24 wound G swapped in – and a healthy amount of string height. Most people other than me have a very hard time playing it. I used it mainly for hard rock, heavy handed rhythm in the band I played it in for most of its miles. The wound G helped a whole lot with string-to-string volume balance in chords and riffs, and the healthy string height helped keep chords clear and ringing while hitting hard with the right hand.

12120067_10153661388606346_1161043827091270288_o.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  12. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Sean, I may have another post about that guitar. It's a Roasted Pine Double Esquire I picked up several months ago. Also seem to remember you having a post(s) about your Double Esquire. Could be mistaken, I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast......:lol:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  13. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Even though I'm as guilty of this as several other posts in this thread, I never answered part of the op question....are there any real differences between CS models and regular production models? IMHO, CS's are worth every penny you pay over the cost of a regular model. I have a large collection of mostly CS guitars, have been buying and playing them since the CS started, and think they are the finest guitars that Fender has ever made. I'm old enough to have played vintage models when they were new, all the way to the present time when a $250 Tele in 1952 is selling for 5 figures today. A friend of mine has a real 52 blackguard; it's a great playing and sounding guitar, but my CS 52 is on a par with it at one-tenth the cost. Are there any clunker CS guitars? I don't think so; some play and sound better than others, but I have yet to play one I didn't think was good.

Remember, this is all my opinion, and you all know about opinions......rock on.....

Lobomov likes this.
  14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

This is very helpful, at the same time, its triggering my GAS. LOL.

ive been thinking about it for so long now, and been thinking about it a lot. I have three guitars, one hollowbody I wont get rid of, and two working teles. An avri62 and a back up japan 62ri. I only want two guitars, but iM keeping it this way until ive decided to sell the two teles and get a super nice one.

one great tele. I have tried a few, they floored me. Some did not. But these are new. Full retail. I cant afford those, so I will have to go used but the ones I want is also hard to find. 60’s, bindings (or none), rosewood fretboard, Closet, Journey, Relic.. Not NOS or Heavy relic.

so yeah. And then there’s additional set up fee from my luthier (fret level, bone nut cut for 11’s, etc)..

Another question to add is,

are they really putting more effort in details for CS guitars? Even just standard teambuilt CS productions? Because if they are just in the same level of AMerican Originals, in terms of materials and attention to detail, might as well get AO?

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Top: 50's NOS Sonic Blue...Soft V neck, 9.5" radius, 6105 frets
    Bottom: 63 NOS Vintage White... Mid 60s C, 9.5" radius, 6105 frets
    CE17D1A6-2672-4129-93CF-36AAC08D33B8.jpeg FB9EBAF3-017F-4B94-8669-C7F6E7F1B62A.jpeg

Attached Files:

16. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Custom pancakes on the range

FB_IMG_1570589666679.jpg

BramptonRob1958 and VillainSean like this.
  17. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I think the differences are largely down to the electronics, and aesthetics. The Tele Is as simple as it gets, you don't need it to cost $3k to be a great guitar, but if you can float a CS then why the hell not? Either way you'll be happy, it's a Tele after all!

18. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

No, you can have the electronics for a few bucks and put it in a mim (that's what i did).
    No, it's the selection of wood. Difference between a beetle and a 911.

VillainSean and moosie like this.
  19. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I can agree with that up to a point. Once you get to a certain price point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

20. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

You saved me saying it. Part of me wonders which banks you need to rob to acquire this kind of collection, but I think you need to control the GDP of a G20 country to get something like this together

I wish I had a warning of what this thread would contain. I need a sherpa and oxygen mask to ascend these giddy heights without blacking out

dreamingtele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.