1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What does Fender mean to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ac15, Aug 12, 2015.

1. fgbass

fgbass TDPRI Member

I really like the days went you only had one model of each guitar and bass.
    Now fender makes copys of their own guitars

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

That's OK Dave, I wasn't thinking of you when I posted.:cool:

3. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

Fender will always first remind me of Leo and his desire to make instruments for musicians to express themselves. I will always remember his promise to design amps that were easier to repair than the radios he worked on. Only after I remember these things do I allow myself to consider the company he left behind. Although it bears his name, it has rarely risen to the ideals he espoused.

4. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Fender is "music". Mine. Yours. Everyones.

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

This is exactly how I feel, as well.

6. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

fender means tone....many guys can build good guitars and some can build good amps..

the sound of the twin reverb is the holy grail for me.

7. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

fender is a nice warm vibratey feeling all through me guttiwuts

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Fender is... slightly subpar compared to G&L (Gerorge Fullerton & Leo Fender)

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ha! Not only that, but I haven't owned an AC15 since they were all still made in the UK!

Come to think of it, I sold my Tele a coupla years ago too!

Still have a Jazzmaster and a couple of Fender basses.

To me, Fenders are a little like hot rods - chrome, cool colors, flash - with a very healthy dose of practicality. Style meets substance.

10. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, the deception!!!!!

11. Walker

Walker Tele-Afflicted

Fender to me is the template for the electric guitar and amplifier. There a couple others as well, but basically Leo Fender got it right back then and loads of guitar and amp makers are just recreating or making variations on the originals.

Along the way it looks like FMIC has forgotten the adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

there is NO WAY G&L is anywhere near more Fender than Fender was.
    G&L make some nice Teles but Ill take
    a real blackguard, AVRI, or Custom Shop over any G&L.
    just the amps alone leo made blows away anything G&L ever did.

a mint 66 tele vs a nice bluesboy? hmm...:lol:

13. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Makes me wonder if you have ever tried a G&L. I used to be totally loyal to Fenders, then I tried a G&L. I immediately converted. G&Ls are far superior to Fenders in every way IMO.

I still have my strat and it's a very fine guitar. But I play my ASATs far more than it. Plus G&Ls are a much better value than Fenders. For the price of an MIA, you can get a custom built G&L to your exact specifications. I don't mind waiting for my custom ASAT Alnico to arrive because I know it's going to be EXACTLY the way I want it...not the way Fender thinks I want it. You're just paying top dollar for the Fender name.

Finally G&L wasn't known for its amps. Even though they made a few models, their main focus was/is on superior guitars.

I'll take my Bluesboy anyday over whatever the Fender equivalent is.

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

American icon

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

G&L fails my first, and primary criteria when buying a guitar. They don't offer a lacquer finish. They might be custom built, but to their specifications, not mine. I'm sure they're great, but there are a lot of great guitar makers. Fortunately most of them realize that some customers value lacquer.

16. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Fender to me is.... Music. Music is a big part of my life. I play through Fender guitars and amps to express myself. Fender is a great Strat or two. Fender is amazing glassy tones through great amps. It's Reverb and Vibrato. That Blackface amp sound that can't be beat. That signature quack from my Strat with '54 pick ups. The 3D gliss that comes from my Super Reverb. Those reflecting green and red speckles from the stage lights, on the SF grill cloth at a gig. That Fender logo with the tail, smiling back at me. Fender is nostalgia too. Leo Fender was there through the dawning age of rock and roll. Giving artists the tools to create great sounds. To play live comfortably. To be heard by the masses. My family and Fender, with me for life.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've played and owned several G&L guitars and basses. They're fantastic. I only ever liked one (a very early L1000 bass) as well as my MIA Fender stuff. There's just something ever so slightly "odd" about G&Ls. Can't put my finger on it.

I played a Legacy for a long time, and always loved it, but it never seemed to be quite a Strat. Went back to a strat, and found I was right. Felt the same about the half dozen or so ASATs I owned.

Great guitars, but not really a Strat or a Tele if that's really what you want. They're different animals. And I certainly wouldn't call them a great value. Maybe on par with Fender, but definitely not better. I can buy used, clean Am Std Fenders a lot cheaper than any of the used G&L guitars I find. And they're more of what I want when I'm after a Strat or tele vibe.

I think of G&L as guitars that mostly look like Fenders, but aren't. They don't have the Fender feel, or more importantly (to me) the Fender voice. Now, really they shouldn't, because they aren't Fenders. They're G&Ls. So are they "better"? Or "worse"? Nah. Just different. If I want a Fender, I'll buy a Fender. If I want a G&L, I'll buy a G&L. But I wouldn't buy a G&L expecting to get a "superior" Fender. I think that whole line of thinking is just odd. They aren't the same guitars.

18. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Very well said, sir.

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Fender is........the choice guitars of Jimi Hendrix.

Fender is .......the preferred electric basses used by my favorite bass players of all time.

Fender is........a brand name once associated with American exceptionalism.

20. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

An American company that makes the bulk of its products in the far east to avoid supporting american people.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.