1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do *you* use to cut stainless fretwire?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mlp-mx6, Nov 6, 2012.

1. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

My question relates to both flush cutting and undercutting the tang.

Thanks, friends.

2. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

For .080" w x .040" t wire, I use the same Stew Mac tool I use for nickel/silver. For taller wire, it still works but takes more effort. I just did a mandolin with .040" w x .040" t wire and had to pre-cut the tang with a small pair of clippers before I could use the tool to actually remove the tang. I tried several ways and that worked best, overall.

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Tele-Meister

For undercutting the tang, I use a flex shaft tool with a small Dremel-sized cutoff wheel and I wear a pair of magnifying glasses. I can get 95% of it that way. Then I file it flush to the bottom of the fret.

4. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've never done this but I do love my Warmoth necks with Stainless Steel frets. I assume this is a difficult task since they charged me $20 for a normal neck and on my newest neck with binding they charged $65. They said that undercutting the frets for the binding was a real pain. They said that they would wear out 2 of their tools for each neck they did in the past - now they have a different way that doesn't waste tools, but takes a long time. He didn't tell me what the new way was. Sorry my post in't helpful, or helpful at all.

5. marvinjensen

marvinjensen TDPRI Member

A jewelers saw with a 0/0 blade and a flex-shaft with a small grinding wheel to clean up the ends/duts.

You can also use a flex-shaft machine (or a yucko Dremel)and a abrasive cut-off tool.

To crown the ends I use a good Grobet (or swiss) #4 file which doesn't last long. (I grind a "safe edge" on the sides)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.