What do you think of those who use local music stores as demo stations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Apr 14, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

There was a thread on TGP where one "person" (I use the term loosely) seemed proud of using local music stores as demo stations to try gear he was interested in, but then never bought said gear from them, and always made his purchases online. I pointed out that "people" (once again, I use the term loosely) like him make it very hard for small independently owned stores to survive, and that he should appreciate the superior personalized customer service that local dealers offer, even if it costs a little more. I also pointed out that he apparently has no sense of community, whereas I have a very strong sense of community. I believe in supporting local businesses, and like helping my neighbors stay employed, because I believe the whole community is better off when there are fewer unemployed and/or homeless people.
    And I think it's a sad day when a society finds these values obsolete and/or antiquated.
    What say you?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I do fear that society will render such ideas of ‘community’, as obsolete or distasteful. It’s a big sea change we are going through.

The swing seems to be going the other way as we are programmed by all the tech and on demand, personalisation options to perceive a world that is solely centred around oneself and the instant satisfaction of one’s wants. You won’t stop people like the guy you describe. He believes his world is better and everything exists to serve him.

That said, an entrepreneurial, younger generation may be able to make the virtual and physical combo work. I am sure the music shops that have properly harnessed the internet are seeing more buoyant business than those that have just stuck their heads in the sand. Pop up shops I could see working soon too , that exist solely to demo online purchases - low costs, low inventory, mobile. I know at least one music shop that now doubles as a coffee shop and a tiny venue. I would have bet on it closing if it had not made such a pivot.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with you but unfortunately that sense of community is no longer promoted and many folks are already feeling the impact of that by having to make every penny count. The majority of eveyone's money ends up in a large corporations pocket. Often that corporation isn't even in your own country let alone your own community. Their business model is designed around continued growth and domination rather than just providing for their family so I don't see things getting any better in the near future.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I did that once, however they didn't have exactly the same model I was interested in, and the one I ordered was a little better (not a big difference but weighed maybe a few ounces more where the other one was too light, both in the 6 lb. something range I think), and of course cooler cosmetics.

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The last time I did that was looking for noiseless pickups for my Strat. I always told the salesman what I was up to. I played guitars with N3’s which I didn’t like and N4’s which had too much tonal overlap with the N4’s in my Telecaster. I found a used Clapton Strat at GC in Rancho Cucamonga and ordered the VN pickups there. I picked them up at the store my next time in California. I like to play guitars I find and am always up front about that. If I’m just playing, I always buy strings or something. It’s just not right otherwise.

6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

"and that he should appreciate the superior personalized customer service that local dealers offer,"

That has NEVER been my experience in any Mom and Pop guitar store. I can say without exception that the dozen or so I've ever wandered into I left wondering how they ever made a living with the poor attitudes and poorer customer service.

7. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I’ve read with regard to online acoustic guitar shopping there has been an emerging culture of “scratch and dent” back-and-forth courier delivery in pursuit of “the One” with (I would guess) creeping increases in insurance premiums paid by said vendors.

Local shops that carry a selection of instruments to try out in store is a more sensible way to find that kind of special guitar I think.

drlucky and DougM like this.
  8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

A lot of them make their real money renting band instruments to the local schools. That's what the ones around do. That and hover over you if you dare want to plug into anything.

RevBillyG and Colo Springs E like this.
  9. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Our local does that too, plus does sound for local events. I've bought a few new guitars, and a ton of used stuff over the years. They rarely have exactly what I want, but I do try to at least buy a couple sets of overpriced strings every time I'm in, just to help them keep the lights on.

GoldieLocks and RevBillyG like this.
  10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I will buy a pedal now and then, especially since they had some NOS pedals that they sold at the normal retail price. They have an amp that I would love to try out but there's no way i would ever buy it from them, so I don't even bother.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I Agree. Even I have bought via the internet. However, it's best here to see what you want on the net, see your Ma and Pa local dealers, and they get what you want with warranty. It's good for them and me. I can also price compete, and have, on amps , which are expensive here but it all works out in the end.

I notice my sons' generation, millennialls, order on line for price and instant gratification.

12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If you're interested in a particular Fender or other pickup, and go in to try out that pickup in a guitar that you know has it, that's a whole different scenario, and perfectly legitimate. And since you liked the VNs, it's nice that you got them from the same store.
    However, being that GC is a big corporation, I wouldn't feel the same loyalty as to a small independently owned shop, although they do still employ local people.

13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

My local Fender dealer will order a guitar I want for me if they don't have in stock, and if I don't like it when it comes in, I'm not obligated to buy it. They'll just put it on the wall with the other Fenders, for someone else to buy. That's the kind of service that I'm talking about.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Rise of the CNC is making it less necessary to try first or run the racks to find 'the perfect one'. Older players are still set in the habit of trying and touching. New generation is most comfortable with 'two day shipping' and a return policy if they don't like something.

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

All I can say is, if that's been your experience, then I'm glad that I don't live in Indiana.

mrmousey and Boubou like this.
  16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I only buy online if it's something that isn't available locally, either in store, or can be ordered by a local dealer for me.

telemnemonics and Boubou like this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I disagree with you whole heartedly. My experience has been that even among the same model of Strat, Tele, LP, or other solidbody, that one may be very lively and sound great, and another may be a real dud, and very dull and dead sounding, even if the workmanship is equal. Every piece of wood is different, and it's not just important with acoustics. I find it to be just as important with electrics to play the one you're going to buy before laying down your money.

18. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

It's not only 'customers' who do that. Back in the late 70s, my local music store had a John Holmes look-alike assistant who'd take a guitar down from the wall when a young person was interested, tune it up with a flourish and then launch into a blistering solo before handing it to the demoralised customer. It didn't take long to tumble that JH didn't have too many licks in his repertoire. It wouldn't have surprised me if he'd detuned all the guitars before going home so that he could have a repeat performance the following day. He was probably practising the same runs when he went home as well. :rolleyes:
    I went back to the area after a 30 or so year break and he was still working there. I was half-tempted to ask him if I could try out one of the guitars on the wall but it pleased me to think he was still a one-trick pony.

PlainAllman likes this.
  19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Complete agreement here! Especially if you get quality service from said music store. If all of us musician's did like this "person", there would be no music store to try out equipment at all. If there were no music store in which to try stuff out, we'd all be doing it online in the dark....no tryouts period! The people who work there rely on musicians to keep them in business, WE, as musicians, NEED them, and they provide a service for us, and in return we should if possible, give them our business!

For those who don't know, the hang tag prices aren't what you have to pay, there is room for negotiation. If they can't work with you on the prices, then you can go elsewhere. But they do deserve a shot at your business if they provided you the opportunity to try their equipment out! I buy ALL of my strings at a local mom & pop music store, and have never paid sticker price for them, they do price matching with me all the time. Besides, once everyone finally figures out that internet prices are all taxed now, the price breaks are a lot smaller.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    mrmousey and DougM like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was buying and selling guitars, I wanted THE one I was playing when trying one out. Only once did I order a guitar like the one I played, but that was because they didn't have the color in stock I wanted. I ordered the new guitar from the same store where I tried the guitar out, so there was no foul. I think it's more than a little tacky to go to a store and try things out KNOWING you're not going to buy from that store.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.