1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you think of this "Custom Build" Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by rdwhitti, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I normally don't even give a second look at partscasters; the sellers usually seem to think that they are worth all of the money that they put into them plus some. However this one caught my eye:

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/telecaster-custom/6498691579.html

I have been wanting a tele but don't want to spend a lot (my main guitar is a jazz box Ibanez). I know I don't need it but it just got me to wondering if it was worth it.

davidchagrin likes this.
  2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

To me, honestly, it looks like a slightly modified squier affinity.

3. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

just got my first partscaster and like it, going to start building them i think, can make exactly how i want it. mine was $300, squire custom vibe 69 body, classic 60's mim serial numbered neck, has a great feel and sound and fits right in between my tele and strat sound wise. sorta opened my eyes to partscasters, I have my fenders i really wanted and building some partscasters will be fun...go play it, could be the one you are looking for

Attached Files:

• 72.jpg
      72.jpg
      File size:
      192.8 KB
      Views:
    Smiff likes this.
  4. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Actually that's what it made me think of too when I first saw it. And you can find Affinity's all day for $100 or less. What are some of the signs to look for if I may ask?

5. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

Must me a pretty new listing I don’t remember it from my usual tele searchings. Because the Austin listing usually come up also when I search for something specific.

I know it’s very popular, but I don’t trust partscasters with all the decals.

I’m not sure but it seems like the only way to tell what it could be is to take it apart.

From what I can see in the photos the poly seems way too thick everywhere to be a custom build. Who would order that? It feels mass produced.

Maybe I’m ignorant, but why would someone oil the frets? In 30 years I haven’t heard of that before. Rosewood: yes, the nut: sure, the sadles: I guess. The frets: never.

john kleeman likes this.
  6. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I'm not an expert on these matters, but it looks good to me. If it plays nicely, I'd say it's worth $285.

7. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

Looks like a top loading Squier Affinity body/bridge, don't see any ferrules on the back.

Spending money on a custom shop decal/neck plate but not upgrading something like the bridge would make me steer far away from this one.

RodeoTex and acrylicsuperman like this.
  8. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Good point, I knew something looked wrong! Thank you!

9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

The finish is the same orange finish as their butterscotch blonde. The neck was sanded and a decal was added wrong, and then cleared. Neck plate was changed. Not sure if those came with a squier branded plate or not. Also didn't see any string ferrules, which indicates top loader bridge. I could be wrong but that is my perspective on it.

10. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Ok thanks everybody that helps a lot. I will steer clear of this one for sure.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say grab it. Telecasters are hard to find for less than $300 today especially with the Fender logo. Partscaster or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.